Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

I actually meant for outdoor, but you’re right, nowadays its mostly indoor here. I meant In particular the Vancouver Island area and coastal BC. Their more northern latitude and mold resistant strains would finish quicker here than strains from cali at our latitude.
With that info I should add that i watched Cali Strains in Petrolia take a heavy pounding AFTER their peak potency for 10 days straight and still not too much mold. Impressive, but Painful to watch. The later flowering time with California strains Is what made the BC seeds a better option.
What I should add is that somewhere right around the year 2000 I went to Vancouver and went to the BC bud depot and asked for their best outdoor seed.
Lethal purple
Early Sativa
Madam Poison.
I only grew them once as they were junk compared to what I was used to😁 But I think I may have been ripped off

1 Like

I do believe I have been growing that old blueberry since 1991, but in seed form. It’s lost the zip it used to have due mostly to thievery, And I haven’t had a blueberry pheno since 2009. Its morphed into a Strawberry.
Rumor has it around here is that this blueberry took 3rd place or 2nd place in the high times Cannabis Cup a while back, With another local entry taking 7th

2 Likes

Yep those studies were definitely done , and I said most all good genetics came from the west coast not all good genetics but it’s interesting to see peoples take on things.
@Upstate Most people in the early medical scene know who created grape ape and that was pretty recent in terms of California cannabis history and they definetly did not have any large influence or impact on California herb.
I would not credit west coast cannabis to any one group of people there are and have been several different groups growing out here for many generations.
The hermit of Big Sur deserves a mention , the Hispanic brothers who originally taught the hippies to grow sensi defiantly changed things. The northern lights crew made genetic waves that reached far and wide. Surfers, soldiers and bikers have a lot to do with early west coast cannabis and cannabis in general in North America.

3 Likes

Yeah, Baba is Afghan Selection

It sucks that it didn’t turn out well. You may have gotten ripped off, but you also may have gotten some indoor strains for whatever reason. I’m surprised that anyone would grow (outdoors) anything but autos at those higher latitudes.
Speaking of autos, is the autoflower gene dominant or recessive? Either way, the autoflower gene is advantageous by default; it’s quite evident why natural selection would favor it. Are there any disadvantages to autos, apart from changing the cannabinoid profile?

2 Likes

And the CIA

1 Like

Cannabis in America
All good weed comes from the aliens and was found during a archeological dig it was all hemp before that.

1 Like

Its pretty much accepted that LowRyder was one of the worst things to happen to cannabis.
It was like a virus of low potency and headaches(both from the high and trying to grow it).
Auto trait can be dom or recessive depending on what genetics start it. Low Ryder was very dominant and by the 3rd fgen of outcrossing, the line was pretty much worthless.
Ive worked with an auto line - OG Kush x Auto Sativa - and its actually really nice. The auto part only seems to effect the flowering, not the flower. F2’s were about 80% auto. Outcross F1’s were about 75% auto. Outcross F2’s about 25% auto (i selected for photoperiod mom and auto dad)

2 Likes

I haven’t really dabbled much with autos. All the outdoor was photoperiod plants, as Lowryder was just making a name at the time.

They were outdoor. The guy was surprised that’s what i wanted. He had a catalog of indoor strains on the table that he put away when i mentioned outdoor.
I should have gone with the indoor. I smoked a j of Fucking Incredible mixed with Burma Gold and a bit of hash and it made me too paranoid to bring the seed over the border. Mailed them to myself lol.

5 Likes

Fair enough. You did. Then I’d still say that statement is Calicentric. There wasn’t a Cali anything here till the indoor scene and the internet. Once the local weed ran out by January all one could find was Mexican brick back in the early- mid nineties. Till my cousin brought 10 pounds from California back in 2001, No one in this area had even seen or smoked Cali pot. I Did end up finding some seeds in the bags and I did grow several of them. Trainwreck, Diesel and Purple Urkle. I grew them once indoors and they were good, but then I went back to the local stuff Id always grown outdoors if that tells you anything about our quality.
Most of the people in this area don’t hardly even leave the county they grow up in. I know you’re proud of your West Coast growing culture but we are quite proud of ours on the East Coast as well. Particularly in my area.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, stealth and faster flowering times have been achieved at the expense of potency (and probably other traits). Lowryder sounded interesting when I first heard of it, but now…not so much. I fear that autoflower and Afghan genetics will find their way into everything before too long.
I don’t understand why everyone wanted weed so skunky you could smell it in the next county. Cannabis was still highly illegal when it was first bred. It seems like the LAST thing anyone should have done is make it that much easier to detect.

1 Like

Haha. Speaking of which, it seems like indicas that make you paranoid are the exception and not the rule. As I’ve said before, a strain high in THC-V and CBD (and maybe some CBG) would be really interesting. Speaking of CBG, that Northern Lights auto I got must have quite a bit of it. The effects were very similar to Wedding Cake (known for its high CBG content, or at least that’s what the internet told me). It wasn’t really “relaxing” per se; it just felt like a weight had been taken off me, and was definitely different from the effects of CBD. Online “research” (if you want to call it that) corroborated that. It’s said that NL#5 has a lot of CBG in it, at least any information I could get.

1 Like

Fantastic! I’d read this before someone, but haven’t taken the time to track it down.

I’ve been eyeing this line as a one I wanted to try as an outcrossing partner to my Syrian/Lebanese dwarf because of the THCV. It’s also been found in high levels with the Syrian line from RSC.

4 Likes

You just fucked me up with this, because I realized I’ve been looking at this wrong, from a Western, technologically chauvinist perspective on what “agriculture” is and the lines we draw between hunter-gatherers and agrarian peoples. Like here with the Congo, I’m sure the jungle people showed the farmer/herders where good places to fish or good plants to eat were, but the deeper secrets of that stuff stayed theirs like where the best cannabis had been growing for generations in the jungle. And on the other side of it, the jungle folks probably learned some things visiting the agrarians and seeing how they cleared out competing plants and shading branches from their farm rows, since many would have been farming in relatively narrow clearings hacked out of the jungle. And they probably also learned culling and selection for vigor and structure by observing that or having it taught to them, and went back to the jungle and started clearing out the best feral cannabis patches so they’d get more light and nutrients from the soil (rainforest soils are actually often terrible, all the nutrition is in the biomass of the floor, trunks, and canopy) and maybe sowing seeds in promising new sites from their favorite plants or culling the seedlings from auto-seeding plants.

I’ve read a lot about this in North America pre-European settlement, especially the East Coast forests bands were often food forests full of nuts and fruits and edible plants that had been encouraged and transplanted for generations by the inhabitants of the area. Groups would travel with the seasons, visiting their food forests and harvesting food to process and dry for the winter like nuts, seeds, and flours made from them, dried apples and berries, herbs and greens for spices and medicines, deer and fish jerky, edible roots and cattails and more. They knew when things would be ready and would go every year to harvest and prep the area for next year.

7 Likes

I really recommend this book, and here’s an excerpt PDF of pages 1-53 and the footnotes:

cronon-changes-in-the-land-pg-3-53.pdf (2.4 MB)u

3 Likes

i am on board with what you say there,

I was thought that Drug Cannbis is Manamade selctions.
So , after the first article said the Hunters never really cultivated it, i thought the Hunters took seeds from Villagers.

but reading the highly contradicting claims that they actually cultivated it themselves… (just a normal day in a Cannbis forum, :rofl: :upside_down_face:)

Made me think the same as you:
The Hunters didnt have so much of a tradition of Cultivating, BUT like you said i think they were thought from villagers to select…

And i think the Huntes thought the villagers that its about that spiritual Thing, that here are Plant-Gods, ot whatever they believe…
So they told the villagers how important it is to get in contact with gods, and that the trippyest phenos were “the good weed”. “The God Visitation Weed”.
That might explain partly why we hear about the outstanding Weed of the Pygmies ?
Beacuse they brought the idea to select for trippy weed
Ive heard that other Spiritual People (Viet, Laos) grew the strong weed…

BUT The other explonation might be, that the pygmies did not select as strongly, and let the seeds live on its own, half wild, and that they did also got seeds from Villagers, and the Wild-selective-Process brought out certain Traits , that mixed well with the selected Cultivars of the Villagers?

1 Like

That sounds like an very interesting cross from a cannabinoid perspective. Grown outdoors in full sunshine with true UV waves, will yield the best results. Make sure you share a full smoke report of the effects.

1 Like

In this comment it says Pakistan Landrace Exchange but when searching on Google I’m not finding anything with that name. Is this different than the Indian Landrace Exchange?

I just noticed an email from SHN promoting a new years sale, and they have 3 varieties from the Indian Landrace Exchange and I was considering picking one up and was hoping to get some insight or opinions from anyone that might know more about what’s available and if it’s worth adding to the collection.

I’ve heard the Indian Landrace Exchange has some good stuff but haven’t taken the time to research and explore their collection further. The three varieties currently in stock and on sale are Urgam Valley, Cambodia, and Barramulla. Does anyone think any of those are worth adding to ones collection? Much love

1 Like

Barramulla.

2 Likes

Me too. I’m extremely curious. The seeds are very large and the one plant I grew a few years back was short and wide in a container, looking quite like a Peshawar type canopy, but the father had recently hybridized with my strain and didn’t know if that batch of seed was pure. l know the plants can get tall, too. 15-20 feet I’m told. The seeds i have now came from a patch containing only tall plants and he is sure they are pure. I hand selected seeds from my favorite plants, one with a deep chocolate smell and another very resinous. They came out of thoroughly seeded buds that were left behind on the muddy ground of the spot where their weed patch was stolen. This was 3 years ago or so And the father has not grown the family heirloom since. He has since gotten into auto flowering genetics and I fear it won’t be long before the family loses their treasure. No worries though. I’ll be holding on to it.

Instagram only

I agree with @RoryBorealis. Baramulla Kashmiri is a good one and is farmed. The other two are feral and are more for breeding/ MAJOR phenohunting to find a keeper.

2 Likes