Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

Found the PDF of this:

Cannabis in Eurasia.pdf (3.7 MB)

6 Likes

wow, and I thought the cangshan had large seeds.

The cangshan could definitely be considered a multi use landrace line.

But seeing what the seeds look like from this chinese food crop,
I think this rules out any contamination of the pure cangshan by fiber or food crop lines.

4 Likes

I’m actually now convinced that @Upstate just posted pictures of a bag of chickpeas.

7 Likes

A while ago a guy on the forum said he bought 10 seeds straight from afghanistan. He posted a picture of the seeds germinating on a wet paper towel. There were 8 seeds and 2 lentils, which he insisted were also cannabis seeds.

The good news is, the lentils germinated. hahaha

9 Likes

Dude. When I opened the unlabeled package the first thing I thought was " who sent me pea seeds?"
Then I saw the smaller seeds and knew what it was. Otherwise I might not have. I expected hemp seed, not Tyrannosaurus Hemp seeds lol.( i reserve the right to that name lol)

12 Likes

They’re good knives. Anything that can shear off branches…can be used as a weapon, which they are.

1 Like

Yeah

8 Likes

A few of those larger seeds have extra ridges , I have some old beans from the late 90s that look similar , seems to be a rare trait.

4 Likes

For all you Morocco heads:

Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research VOL. 7, NO. 5 |

Reviews

Origin, Early History, Cultivation, and Characteristics of the Traditional Varieties of Moroccan Cannabis sativa L.

Published Online: 12 Oct 2022Doi: https://doi.org/10.1089/can.2021.0020

Moroccan cannabis history.pdf (486 KB)

https://home.liebertpub.com/publications/cannabis-and-cannabinoid-research/633

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?cites=4091433377512037029&as_sdt=40000005&sciodt=0,22&hl=en#d=gs_qabs&t=1679010501332&u=%23p%3DmWR7Cx4G_bgJ

dpb_49_eng_web.pdf (1.6 MB)

8 Likes

Crusher dust, or decomposed granite dust, layer it at the bottom of the hole and the termites won’t come through… it’s not fool
proof obviously but it does help considerably…

3 Likes

Thanks @slain bro! Now I just need to translate that into Thai for the termites! Our entire island is granite based and I’ve never lived anywhere with so many termites! Of course their favorite food source is old, fallen coconut trees and there’s an endless source of those around here. A couple weeks ago I came across another plant they’d chomped on and it was like a Bug’s Bunny cartoon where he’s suckin’ Elmer Fud’s carrots down through the ground! :rofl: Wouldn’t have been so bad if it was a young seedling, but yesterday’s was a really nice female plant in bloom! :sob:

:call_me_hand:

6 Likes

Lol. Well in oz we have gazillions of the little fkrs, They build gigantic nests that dot the landscape most everywhere

They look for the organic matter in the soil, I discovered once during a grow here that they were coming up from the ground and into the pots and then eating the root system, and the whole plant would fall over so a couple of inches of crusher dust in the bottom of the pot fixed it. Maybe a big pot buried so they can’t get in from the side?

4 Likes

Yeah, the buried pot sounds like the plan…but I just started putting them direct into the ground to try to reduce my pot costs! Not so bad with one or ten, but after you start counting in the hundreds it’s a bit of a problem! :rofl:

3 Likes

I hear you there bro, Plastic tree bags like these :+1:

You may also be able to line the bottom with perlite, it’s a glass so they would probably struggle to get through it

3 Likes

Yep, I’m gonna just keep on trying stuff until something works well! We get extreme weather here, 2 monsoon seasons, the current hot/dry season and everything in between! I’m hoping that the in-ground system will work to stabilize temps and soil moisture around the roots. I opened an airpot to transplant it the other day and was shocked at how hot the soil mix was…at first I thought there had been a mix-up and somebody grabbed the wrong (freshly amended) mix…but it was just from sunlight hitting the pots all day. Oh well, termites only take third place in the lineup of problems to deal with…bud-rot (80%+ humidity levels) and septoria are the main problems here right now! Fighting them both with hypoclorious acid. Realistically, the termites only get a very small portion of my plants, it’s more likely they’'ll cause my house to fall down on my head! It just sucks when it’s something already in flower!

Sorry to go off-topic here!
:call_me_hand:

4 Likes

I know this is for outdoor landrace and heirloom but I got a indoor question about my afghan original #1. I already posted pics and what I think might be causing the issue any feedback would greatly thanks all.

True story. In Washington I had a greenhouse going and had just finished a grueling week of hole digging and planting. One morning I see a couple plants missing. Next day another. Soon four. All females. I was baffled. As I’m sitting there, I see a plant start to shake with no visible reason for it. Then it starts getting pulled underground! Slowly disappearing. I ran over and pulled the nearly disappeared plant back up out of the ground, roots and all. Attached to the rootball was a mini woodchuck looking thing, a pocket gopher. I told my cousin a small woodchuck was eating my plants and he laughed at me saying that they would never do such a thing. I assured him that I’d caught one in the act. I had to wait a week with no way to get rid of the pocket gophers but a pitchfork. I’d sit for hours with the pitchfork tines down just above a tunnel exit. When that little shit finally popped his head out, I’d drive the pitchfork into the tunnel just behind the exit, and I’d impale it. Any tunnel that approached my plants was dug up to slow them down.
Eventually I got some pocket gopher traps which were ineffective. I caught nothing. Until I started baiting them using male plants, which i had a lot of. I figured they really liked weed. The first day with baited traps, I caught several. When my cousin returned, he was shocked. No one in the whole area had ever used bait to catch pocket gophers. I said, “Well, these particular pocket gophers must really like to get high then.” Weed works great , but they like it fresh, lol.
I did feel bad killing them, but I had no choice at the time.

15 Likes

the best laid schemes o’ gophers and men, eh?

3 Likes

My wife’s dog, a dachshund mutt, has turned out to be a terror to all the local tunnelers. He learned to dig in Oklahoma clay which is quite hard when dry. Here it’s glacial moraine, basically stone grains and vegetable matter. He swims through it.

I was unaware of termites’ difficulties with stone dust, that explains a lot.

6 Likes

Dachshunds are really amazing little hunting dogs, my college roommate was from Hawaii and his family raised them. He told me how they were bred to go into caves, dens, and tunnels and flush out boars and other prey like badgers for the German jaegers (hunters) so that they could kill them as they came out. The dog version of Vietnam War tunnel rats basically. He also talked about how their job once the boar was out was to harry it by running back and forth nipping ears and noses and tails anywhere soft, and especially sliding on their backs underneath the belly clawing and biting at the soft bits to distract it for the hunter, when the boars look down to snap or stomp at the dogs is when the hunter would strike with a knife or spear, or take a shot with a crossbow or gun. That’s why Daschsunds have that back slide hyper fight energy when they’re zoomy. And why they often have absolutely no fear- they were bred to be fearless and hunt in packs and sacrifice for each other. Apparently they’re very popular in Hawaii because they do well in the home and the jungle both and are excellent ratters who’ll really go drive out a whole colony for funsies, especially a pack of them like his family keeps of mom and kids

13 Likes