Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

Interesting!! Thank you for being so descriptive - on a separate note, curious how dense the flower was & flowering time?

IME when grown in-ground vs container, one may increase the resistance to local PM. I’ve experienced this anecdotally with landraces, @Upstate is the one who brought this idea to my attention.

3 Likes

I think the model at Real Seed Co is different from Zomia, I don’t recall Angus doing a subscription service where you pay monthly. Also, RSC has way more details about the lines. Very little info with much of the Zomia stock,esp. as it relates to scents/aromas/effects. Likely on purpose to maintain souvenir status but as somebody attempting research it is very limiting.

5 Likes

Worth every penny.

2 Likes

Zomia works with local Thai farmers in some cases, and uses a network of local people to collect Southeast Asian strains, as well as going to places like Cambodia/Laos himself. I know he uses 3 different farmers for just one of his strains. I couldn’t say how many others he works with. Another strain was somehow gotten from the university of Bangkok.
In the Himalayas he made his own selections, and @ShivamGrover helped out. What I have grown from him has been legitimate. What I have seen others grow has also been legitimate. Prices are high for landrace seeds for sure, but you’ll get what you pay for.

11 Likes

Isn’t that always the case? Even Angus Doesn’t have good descriptions/ pictures until somebody does a grow. The only way you can find out much detail about these landraces is to grow them yourself or wait for someone else to, and keep an eye on the forums. Documentation is the gift that keeps on giving.

11 Likes

I have not run into major PM issues since moving to a living soil augmented with hot aerobic compost and small soil samples from different local ecosystems / soil types, this was the worst I’ve ever experienced it.

Bud structure was foxtail with large colas, the foxtail buds were very resinous and had some density to them. Leaflet width was not super narrow like some sativas but still narrow. Long flowering time, can’t recall how many weeks it was but at least 12. I wish I had pictures, I can look back through old photos and see if there are any I’ve forgotten.

6 Likes

This zombie Squirrel Tail has seen many a plant come and go in the flower room and has outlasted them all. A few days short of 6 months flowering under 11/13.

:v::canada:

39 Likes

She’s immortal compared to them. They’ve probably been telling legends about her for all that time.

9 Likes

Go ahead and chop it she looks done….

2 Likes

The Zomia collective subscription offer isn’t much different than the East Africa collective @upstate organized. In fact, I’d throw in for a month of the middle tier subscription ($57.50) if 11 other people wanted to chip in.
@upstate - are you up for organizing another private buy in? :partying_face:

1 Like

Has any of it ripened to the point you’ve tried it? Looks like it could outlive me. LOL

2 Likes

That thing is literally ginormous! :rofl:

2 Likes

Reminds me of Tegridy Farms Halloween Special; after Shelly pours her witches brew on it. Lol

2 Likes

Monkey Balls by Hazeman (that’s the original name him and Tom both still use)

3 Likes

No, none of it’s done and it may just flower forever!

4 Likes

It’s not done. Not even close.

4 Likes

6 months is one hell of a commitment.

5 Likes

At this point, it’s just a houseplant that lives in.my flower room. :grin: I might not ever cut it.
:grin::v:

7 Likes

Let it roam free :joy:

3 Likes

The short answer is no … the weather pattens and the new genetics’ introduced… legalisation …ect
But IMO africa is a big melting pot of genetics mixed through trade ,slave gathering
export routes , smugglers
Indian indentured labourers, the Dutch roots, tourists ,and again
now legalisation

A few pure genotypes isolated ,maybe,
or some long stashed seeds but those stories are to very hard to believe

Also terroir plays a big part …but you can find nearly identical Durban poison , Malawi , Swazi in Transkei and Lesotho
And vice versa, and try isolate them , but you need huge number of seeds , preferably from before the African green rush

3 Likes