Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

Huixtepec, Guerrero.

Getting close to chop timešŸ˜ week 16 flowering from seed.
Hereā€™s an old Afghan or Pakistani family heirloom grown at a family members home. Max height 4 feet. Usually around 2 feet at harvest grown in the ground.

38 Likes

Its getting really beautiful bro! Kuddos!

6 Likes

The fact that anyone even cares about preserving the old heirlooms is a good sign. There is hope, and there may be a landrace renaissance. Once cannabis is made legal at the federal level, a LOT of growers will come out of the woodwork. More than a few will want to preserve landraces. Iā€™d wager there are quite a few IBLs people have been growing in secret for decades.

11 Likes

The best part is everyone here wants to preserve those genetic lines.

7 Likes

Natural selection is unpredictable, to say the least. Now that there is no longer a massive concerted effort to eradicate cannabis outright, itā€™s going to get interesting. Growers there can now grow openly and experiment. Many of the poly-hybrids will have many NLD phenos that will have a similar cannabinoid profile, but higher THC and will be reproduced.
Thomas Jefferson once said: ā€œI prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.ā€ Ending draconian enforcement will lend itself to many problems, but weā€™d rather face those than face imprisonment or even execution.

8 Likes

Damn! You better get crackin! Iā€™d love to see you get into your oldest seeds. No time like the presentšŸ˜

12 Likes

I think a landrace Renaissance has already begunšŸ˜

7 Likes

@Upstate Is this Afghan or Pakistani heirloom line different than, if I remember right, what you called your ā€˜75 Afghan?

3 Likes

I doubt Jefferson said that but OK.
I understand the sentiment.

Thoughts become words become actions. Landrace preservation may become trendy, even.

3 Likes

True American spirit ā€¦ ejem|nullxnull

7 Likes

No doubt :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah this is a different one. I donā€™t know the exact date on this one but I got it right around 98 or 99 and it was already an old strain. The locals just called it the midget strain. This one is just about mold proof and the 75 Afghan still gets mold the last couple weeks of flowering as the flowers tighten up. We have daily dew and lots of rain.
I used to think this was a Mighty Mite hashplant line but there is one of those growing right behind the one I took a picture of and itā€™s completely different. I always called it an afghan but upon reflecting itā€™s probably more accurate to guess it as Pakistani due to mold resistance. I mentioned I would grow some of these this year but unfortunately I cannot. My backā€™s too messed up to get out into the bush where I would have to plant them. Two of my cousins have a dozen each. They named it " Tanker " due to the Stout frame and big ā€œgunsā€

12 Likes

That purple one wow

4 Likes

Once cannabis is off the Schedule 1 list, itā€™s going to be researched extensively. Part of that is going to be sequencing the DNA. Many, many questions are going to be answered when that happens.

4 Likes

Oh man, the Mighty Mite Hashplant. You donā€™t hear much about that one anymore. MM and Romulan were some of the first named kind bud I ever smoked and it was an amazing experience. The story was it was coming from BC. I wanted to get those seeds from Marc Emery but was too paranoid to order seeds through the mail, not to mention I was a broke college student.

You think the Mighty Mite is just a short Afghani?

7 Likes

@WVMountainGhost I think the mighty might must have some Pakistani in it and the reason I think this is because itā€™s from the Pacific Northwest which is really wet and Iā€™ve never heard of a mold resistant Afghaniā€¦
though after 30 years of growing my own I can tell you it is possible to get them to be mold resistant if you put in the time. 15 years or so. I just havenā€™t heard of another one . Quite possible this Mighty Mite strain is also known as ā€œsweet 90ā€ as 90 days is the time from seed to harvest. Iā€™ve never actually seen Mighty Mite grown so Iā€™ll know more about it at the end of the season . Iā€™ll have my cousin keep me posted. He says his plan is to cross it with my midget Afghan/Paki. Iā€™ll make sure his priority is to keep both pure first. Iā€™ll even offer to go up to his place personally to make sure pollination is done correctly. I went there last weekend and he had a male mighty mite ready to dump pollen already and he didnā€™t know it was a male LOL. I was able to roll a flower in my finger and get it drop pollen in the palm of my hand( it was that close to opening.) and I gave him a pollination demonstration. Since the male plants are flowering already it is possible mighty mite is that sweet 90 strain.

8 Likes

It has been a long time, but I believe that Mighty Mite and Cream Sodica were auto flowering plants for the Canadian outdoor scene.

5 Likes

Ive been saying for a while that Rec laws are creating the biggest genocide of genetics.

Many companies are doing large seed runs to find just one or two plants - thatā€™s killing thousands of seeds at a time.

I wish there was a way to home all these plants these companies find undesirable.
Imagine a company popping 200,000 Thai seeds to only find 3 9-week pheno plants. Thatā€™s killing so many 20+ Thai plants because they are ā€˜undesirableā€™ to the company

Its a damned shame

6 Likes

ā€˜doing the most with the leastā€™ is not a corporate ethic, especially when companies and gov pretend they have endless resources.

so we have the landracesā€¦ itā€™s all good :wink:
end of rant,

3 Likes