Landraces and heirloom

it was blowing out flowers every where,
i chopped and topssed the clones, i had though i may have stressed it yes, but the flows and bananas where mixed as in they where coming out of the flower sites and the stalk.
she was in a 5 gal , i think she was stressed but i could be wrong,
, ill be trying again soon once i finish up with this run here in around 5 weeks.
i vegged her for only 5 weeks and i feel from what i seen ill try for a 6 week next time,
i dont think i was over feeding nitrogen, if anything i i was doing water and a once a week feed, real light too, 1/2 teaspoon to a gal of npk, grow. ill have to look at the numbers again on the package.
i have a lambs bread im running now that threw out a few that ive picked off, awhile back i want to say booth hermed out, the shashamane was real bad though, the lambs bread had a few here and there, nothing that a little picking couldnt take care of. ill run a few seeds next time so i have more to choices on what one(s) to keep.
i wont be giving up but since i have a whole garden going i just needed to be safe on my part

3 Likes

Always a shame to have to give in to reality and kill a plant. Sounds like you did the right thing. You had it in better conditions than i would have, with a longer veg, too. What kind of light? My Oaxaca doesn’t care for hps…so it appears. I’m trying to figure out if this is the case or i did something else…I switched from veg( blue light cfl) to 1000 watt hps for flowering, and a plant threw bananas out for a week or two. This summer a different plant was outdoors, brought in on a wet day under hps and male flowers again a week later. Anything similar happen with yours? @blendmedmedman

5 Likes

That would drive me crazy

2 Likes

I tend to believe that the environments that we stuff landraces/IBL’s into, are one stresser for sure. If it’s special, work with it and you may be surprised. Give it a better growing environment, not giving it any reason to be stressed. As hungry growers, we tend to try and fit things into our own environment, and our own schedules.

I’ve had plants herm on me and was even warned about it. But, when i put extra work into them, I’ve had success growing them again with no issues. One I’ve crossed it to has shown no herm issues since. Cannabis is wired to survive and if it has some indication it may not, it will work to reproduce itself. It’s not always a dominant thing, imo.

12 Likes

makes absolute sense

4 Likes

Hermaphroditism is more pronounced if there are light leaks, but it is an undesirable genetic trait so the clones still hold those genetics.

5 Likes

@Zolorp yeah i have several plant inside the tent no problems or light leaks, i did think of that as well and looked over the other lasies with no herm signs, just the 2 landrace tropical sativa had hermed on me, one being the shahsmane (Ethiopian sativa) that turned balls into a new word, and the Jamaican only had a few but was saved.

5 Likes

yeah i vegged for 5 weeks because i wanted a nice root system.
i was prepared for the stretch, i run leds, i have several that i use.
i start all of whatever under a 300 watt, then i put them under the next, which is a par600, this is the veg, flower, then i have a 800 watt one that i put them in when in full flower and hit them until the end unless i have to use the par600 as i have so many like i am now. i grew punto roja under it with no problems, and many others, i would prefer all get the bigger one but sometimes you do have to run others.
yeah i have had plants in the past, like 15 years ago that i would put them outside and then bring them in and they would get mad, this was way back though. i am inside for everything right now as i dont have the outside to use, not yet anyways.
yeah i usually have my daytime temps at around 77 but with the heat its been 80 inside, still good but like all of us i want those perfect conditions, or try. i even play music for the garden, yes they are my babies

4 Likes

I find sativas that have vegged longer tend to herm less, too. If you keep a mother plant and take clones, the clones will usually have less of a herm rate. Over a year or two, it can get less and less depending on the genetics.

6 Likes

The Thai plants I am growing are very stable. Somehow my lights got turned on at night in my dark room, making for a 36-hour lightcycle total. Plants haven’t skipped a beat!

day 89 flower

33 Likes

Sudan. Seeds germinated mid may. Has been flowering naturally since end of june.

31 Likes

A couple Sudan are getting close…very strong smells of pine, some mint/ catnip and funkey armpit lol.
Thai…day 101. Calyxes are starting to swell on my favorite plant. Maybe two or three weeks left on that one… hanging out indoors for a rainy day…
Looks like that first indoor picture is another Sudan shot
Turns out my cousin is growing some of the midget variety I got from my uncle. Here’s some pictures. ![20210928_183050|666x500] Thai start of week 17 flowering(upload://hPfGChBFAedCsTa3XGL5bGp8OF9.jpeg)

39 Likes

Which Thai is that? Never seen Sudan before. It looks pretty bad ass. Let me run outside and grab some pics of the Malana…

3 Likes

Malana from @Upstate’s vault. Looks like it’ll have to come inside and finish next to the window and or lights. Buds are small but always growing. They should actually fill out a little I think. It’s still very green and not affected by the cold nights we had this last week. She’s just as happy as can be. So much easier to deal with compared to polyhybrids. What is the flower period? 11- weeks maybe?

Sorry for the photo background. I bought this place really cheap and I have my hands full just getting rid of things. The lady I bought it from had stuff all over the yard and I’m slowly cleaning it all out. It won’t be overnight, though, lol.

peace

23 Likes

Anyone interested in preserving some 1973 Durban in the near future? Putting feelers out as I try n get all my landraces from this guy preserved

This is the red pheno in veg

32 Likes

I hope somebody does. I already have a seed run promised for another strain. Otherwise I’d jump at that. What’s that flowering time say? 15-18 weeks?

5 Likes

Yessir, they’re from the source in Africa in 73, his pops spent his career collecting everything he could for a few decades n passed away and his son is carrying on the legacy, preserving what his father had collected.

Real cool shit and an even cooler dude, happens to live right by me

21 Likes

yep, thats a good Idea preserving those.

2 Likes

I could help with preservation but it would be around January/ February after I finish what’s already lined up .

6 Likes

Who knows @JohnnyPotseed ?

3 Likes