Mother was a N.L. Auto.....Father was a rolling stone

Was wondering if anyone might know what strain the Father might have been though definitely sativa. Had a Northern Lights Auto in backyard into late Sept. 2020 and found some seeds after harvest. Curious and locked down, planted in Jan 2021 indoors, ran it 18/6. After 11 weeks and still not flowering, threw it into 12/12.
Here she is @ 16 weeks tomorrow and tri’s are cloudy/milky no amber yet. The leaves are black/dark purple/blue tinge. Night time temps are around 68 -70 F and around 35 to 50% humidity not really cold enough to turn but could be wrong.

9 Likes

Looks nice you’ll only get a percentage that show auto traits most will be photo with some faster finishers in the mix . You’d need a second crossing of 2 auto phenos to get to the full auto stage .

She’s sure leafy trimmers nightmare type structure .

4 Likes

Thanks for reply and info.

The buds do look leafy but smaller flower leaves are covered in Tris as well almost to tips and buds are really fattening up now and getting dense.
Here is a question and excuse me if it is confusing. Ok, I ended up with a photoperiod and I have 5 more beans off of same original plant.
What would it take to get this strain to Auto.
I can grow the hell out these plants inside and outdoors, but never tried breeding/cloning so you are talking to a noob in that area.

On a side note the plant to the left of that one in pics, is a
OCS Bubba Kush 2.5 @ 14 weeks since seed and 4.5 weeks in flower.

4 Likes

If you cross two of your 1/2 auto plants (mom or dad auto, other parent photo) 25% of the resulting seeds will be Auto, 50% will be half auto (just like the parents), and 25% will be pure photo period. Grow these under 18/6 and select and cross only those that flower. the resulting seeds are 100% auto

Thank Dirtron
So to be clear, as is first time, take remaining 6 seeds and grow under 18/6 and cross those to get full autos?

Not quite…
Grow your remaining 6 seeds under normal photoperiod conditions and allow them to open pollinate. (18/6 x 4 weeks? then 12/12)

Take resulting seeds and grow them under only 18/6 and 25% of them will autoflower. Cross these auto flowering plants and 100% of resulting seeds will be auto. (plant 4x more seeds than # of auto plants you want to end up with) (after you know and select the auto’s you can flower the remaining 75% for buds by flipping to 12/12)

P=Photoperiod gene, p= Auto Flower
PP= Pure Photo
Pp= Photo with hidden auto gene
pp= auto

Your seeds are all Pp so they will grow as photoperiod

Pp x Pp = 25% PP, 50% Pp, 25% pp (auto)
Then pp x pp = 100% pp (auto)

Ok got it, thanks a lot for taking the time to explain it, I am sure this info will help a lot of others as well.
I am going to wait to see how potent this plant turns up to be, just in case.
Sparky

1 Like

I am doing this same thing right now, for practice, with some Cotton Candy Kush Auto x Knights Templar Kush (photo) seeds a buddy gave me locally, before diving into a project to make my own auto from a photo strain.

In my future project (that this one is practice for) both the traits I want to select for are recessive, so while at the stage where 1/4 of yours will be auto, 1/16 of mine will be auto, and have the other trait I want. So to ensure I get both male and female I will be popping like at least 128 beans. So that hopefully I end up with 8 that are both auto and have the desired trait. I would need to be seriously unlucky to end up with 8/8 males or 8/8 females…

2 Likes

That is a lot of work, I wish you success.

I am limited to the amount of plants in my location (4).
Can I capture and save pollen off of a male to use on
a female at a later date? Would be a great winter project.

1 Like

Yes you can save pollen. Mix with toasted flour seal air tight with silica beads surrounding it and freeze. As said above you need to identify the actual auto offspring. Those are what you want to move forward with. Ive never bred an auto but thats the basics.

Ok shouldn’t be a problem identifying timewise, especially now with long days. Saving pollen will save me a lot of headaches and time later on.
I have some Bruce Banner fem autos beans as well, I wonder if, hmmm…lol. Thanks for all of the great advice, guys! This site and community is my new go to!

1 Like

I have not been here long but it’s a great community!!!

Yeah in more detail the way i did it was i toasted the flour in oven at like 250 for long as you can without burning iylt up. Itll firm a solid dry sheet pretty much. Then busts apart when you chop with razor blade. I think the ratio was like 1/3 pollen to 2/3 flour. But can be weaker. I mixed real good and then put into parchment paper folds. Surround the parchment with silica beads and seal up in little jars. Freeze immeduately. Main goal is to not allow moisture to be in there. The dry flour will help keep it dry longer and silica was just my overthinking of how to even further stop moisture. Moisture is what kills pollens effectiveness. Good luck hope you come up with some killer strains. When you pollenate wait til you have budsites set and dust em all with paintbrush (lil cheap artist brushes work good ) if you dont want cross contamination isolate the fems to be hit and hit em. Then let it set on them for a few(3) days and you can wash em off n return them to flower area with other flowering plants. But make sure you get it in those pistils and let it set. Thoroughly rinse after 3 days if you want to keep other things seed free.

3 Likes