LED vs 1000w HID

i have controller in place for the heat and humidity, and if the timers had changed it wouldnt be more then a cple mins either way,

It was only the one run like that,but at this point I like the leds with the cmh, it helped a bit with heat , not as much as i thought reading about it but a bit and the quantum boards are more flexible light in a way, I think because i replaced one light with 4 i get better coverage,less shadows

1 Like

The even coverage is what I love about this style of LEDs. Full length strips or COBs/SIL let you spread and overlap the light beams so nicely.

3 Likes

Is it worth investing in high end LEDs now?

I see it as an emerging technology, rapidly changing. I’m worried about investing 1500 to 2k on leds that will be surpassed in a years time. Find it similar to graphics cards for PCs , seems the next best thing is always around the corner.

For all you guys who have bought in recent years, is now the time to buy? Do you see this technology improving by leaps and bounds within the next 5 years?

1 Like

agree with that, wasnt that long ago major names were pushing blurple, now they say entirely different

This is from NASA:

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2018/cg_7.html

“LEDs have finally advanced to the point that they can match or surpass the performance of, for example, high-pressure sodium lamps in agricultural applications. “Now we find ourselves with the opportunity to replace high-energy-consuming, hazardous-waste-containing products with more efficient and sustainable alternatives.”

5 Likes

Good to know LEDs are made out of unicorn farts and fairy dust instead of hazardous waste. I always laugh when they claim it to be that or more sustainable like it doesn’t still take a ton of unethical and extremely hazardous mining , let alone the rest of the manufacturing process.
Reminds me of the completely false narrative that has been created around EV’s , solar panels , wind turbines , batteries , and the whole alternative energy industry.

FTR I am not doubting how good LEDs are nowadays . Just pointing out that they do not need the extra over the top and in some cases false , sales pitch.

And that is all directed at NASA not you Foreigner lol

5 Likes

Lol yeah… I see it as saving ME money. It consumes less energy therefore burning less coal or natural gas- but my electricity is sourced from the nuclear plant. So… yeah, I’m not really helping the planet at all. But it’s marketing lingo that makes people feel good about their consumerism.

1 Like

I was thinking NASA meant more in terms of extended space flight but maybe you’re right.

My 300w LED is a lot more powerful than my old 250HPS. Like, a lot.

As I see it the major downside to LED is the upfront costs.

All the best

3 Likes

nasa is the gov. i was fine with leds till i read thart, it must be a trick lol

3 Likes

LMFAO[quote=“anon60559124, post:166, topic:38411”]
I always laugh when they claim it to be that or more sustainable like it doesn’t still take a ton of unethical and extremely hazardous mining , let alone the rest of the manufacturing process.
[/quote]

I explain this to people all the time about hybrid car batteries. The manufacturing and disposal of those batteries are just as harmful if not more harmful to the planet then gasoline engines. I drive a prius by the way. For my pocket book. Not for the earth. Lol.

5 Likes

Why is this? I figured Nova Scotia would be excellent for wildlife and natural resources.

1 Like

It is simply a different way of making money. Nothing green or planet saving about it. Just greenwashed capitalism that gives some weird illusion of doing something lol

2 Likes

LOL ya that is how it is marketed but I can tell you first hand it is anything but. This is a third world province that has been run by whatever foreign company wants to exploit it , for hundreds of years now. The best part is we give them billions of tax dollars to destroy it and call it an industry.
In 2008 less then 0.60% of the trees here were 100+ years old. Also by 2008 43% of all operable land had been clear cut in just 25 years. It has only gotten much much worse since then thanks to Bio Mass. Most of which we ship to Asia and Europe to burn in their " green " energy plants.
The end result is so heart breaking and disgraceful I am not even sure how to put it in words. Feel free to look at google earth or any other satellite imagery , all which is a couple years behind , and you can clearly see for yourself. Nova Scotia no longer has forests and our entire water cycle has been disrupted. We now have regular droughts each year . Also they allow Glyphosate to be sprayed on our crownlands here . To top all that off the oceans are a complete mess with most species on the brink of collapse . Including Mackerel which is the one fish nobody ever thought would reach this point.
In 2021 nothing about the place where I grew up even resembles what it was in the 90s.

I like those super hps bulbs :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

from 1996 about the Grand Banks

very sad how we treat the Ocean :frowning:

1 Like

My thoughts on LED’s regarding efficiency and less environmental impact is more about offsets. A 1000w HID bulb lasts 2 years tops. After which the bulb must be disposed of and they’re pretty hazardous. An equivalent LED would use less wattage in… say 800w so there’s an “energy “ savings right there. That LED is projected to last 7 years at the end of which it is arguably “less” hazardous to dispose of. So that’s at least 3 hazardous HID bulbs you’ve “saved” the environment from. A lot of these burgeoning efficiency’s have to be followed thru in a somewhat convoluted fashion to see their real value.

If I had my way there would be no commercial fishing at all. I know that would hurt many in the industry and I feel for them but for too long we have been raping an ecosystem that human being have no natural place in. One day down the road this pain is coming anyway, better to fix it now before there is nothing left to fix.

Very sad to hear. Society sucks anymore.

I would suggest getting some 1/8" flat aluminum bars (like these https://www.homedepot.com/s/aluminum%2520bars?NCNI-5) to mount your power supplies with at least a 1" air space under them. I would also strongly recommend a lot more space between them or you’ll shorten their useful life with all the heat in a concentrated area.

I just can’t get behind LEDs

Like another member posted above they’re very similar to the way the pc industry is with graphics cards etc. There’s always some new and improved latest and greatest technology coming out and top of the line gear is outdated jn a few months. I’m a really big fan of old reliable proven technology that’s easily serviceable.

I’ve pulled close to 4lbs off a light using super hps bulbs and haven’t even been able to come close using quantum boards. Sure veg is fine but they fall way short during flower. This could just be a personal failing on my part and maybe I didn’t get dialed in enough with the hlgs but I don’t feel that LEDs have quite surpassed hid at least not in Canada where the heat from the HIDs isn’t that big of a deal.

1 Like

I feel the same way man. I can’t stand all this disengenious “green” bullshit that doesn’t actually do anything for the environment and sometimes is more detrimental.

It’s just being used as a vehicle to enrich and garner control of those in positions of power. Politicians and big business etc.

1 Like