Legends never die

Right now I’d have to say no.

The 2 broad leaf have a little something but not straight skunk…
They are 2 weeks in so they could be building something :man_shrugging:

Curiously, indoors some had a sour stench early on and I thought growing them outdoors would accentuate that,but no.

It’s all a mystery hah

5 Likes

Its a hell of a mystery. And seems nobody can crack the code. I know you have had some success but hard to be repeatable. Im pulling for ya buddy and feel if anyone can do it you have a better shot than most I lnow you have the ambition. Its just so weird to me that something that was so prevalent just disappeared. I remember the seeds back then were very big and dark brown with like black spots. Not really tiger striped. I loved the terps. For something that smelled so skunky it sure did taste great. Hope the back is better. Hoping someday in the future I see a strawberry puck filled with skunk beans. Keep on keeping on. I have faith in you. :skunk: :skunk: :skunk:

4 Likes

I know the genes are somewhere in there, so the first goal is to make a ton of fresh seeds.

Then I’ll have to pretty munch blindly select say 5-10 cuts and grow them in various conditions and soil mix, one parameter at a time, until I crack the matrix.

For that I have to conquer my nemesis… meticulous note taking. Really hate it. But since winging it doesn’t cut it… leaves me with no other choice than to nerd it out.

Back is doing better every day :raised_hands: I had an appointment at the hospital earlier and the doc told me I was more flexible than her :sweat_smile:
Next appointment is in 2 weeks and it will be the last. Back to work baby

12 Likes

We have mimosa here that’s invasive, but the critters keep it in check. It’s nowhere near as bad as kudzu.

3 Likes

The vine stuff is bad, I rip it any chance I get. Phragmite is invasive as well, I chop it and mulch my patches with it lol

Lots of wild raspberries here which is nice. Where I’m from hazelnuts grow wild and thought about planting a huge patch of it in the middle of nowhere for after the 2035 collapse. Joking, I love hazelnuts hah

5 Likes

You know it.

I posted this on another site 3 days ago

14 Likes

Yay for the back on track!

Hunting that will probably be quite an adventure. Given the many factors that influence the way a plant smells, age or environment, etc… Wish you fun and surprises!

1 Like

It will definitely push me to be a better grower haha.

Problem is there is so little documentation about what makes skunk weed stink… and white papers about plant processes can be hard to digest.

The loudest voice on skunk is boron dude, who understands the nerdy chemistry stuff and can simplify it but is also quite controversial. He’s been around the boards a long time and the few that have formal education on the subjects are dismissing what he’s saying.

So ehh, it’ll be lots of work !

5 Likes

I have to wrap my head around this. Then be able to tinker with nutrients and their associated processes, and be able to explain it to anybody like they are 5 years old :slightly_smiling_face:

What are the physicochemical features of Cys that make this residue such a unique case? The main feature appears to be the high reactivity and chemical plasticity of its sulfur-based functional group. First of all, Cys thiols are capable of unique reactivity in the protein world: covalent interactions with other thiols create intra- and intermolecular disulfide bonds. In addition, Cys can coordinate a variety of metals and metalloids: along with His, Cys is the most frequently employed residue in metal-binding sites of proteins. The side chain of Cys can also directly react with many oxidants or oxidized cellular products under physiological and pathophysiological conditions: reversible oxidation of Cys thiols is known to play a role in redox regulation of proteins via the formation of sulfenic acid intermediates (13, 14, 15), mixed disulfides with glutathione (16), and overoxidation to sulfinic acids (17). Last, but certainly not least, Cys is the main target of nitrosative stress, leading to the formation of reversible S-nitrosothiols (18). The susceptibility of Cys to these modifications is largely dependent on the reactivity of each specific thiol. Thus, understanding Cys properties is not only very important per se but is also critical to understanding the nature and function of thiol-mediated redox processes in the cell.

7 Likes

Say wut???

7 Likes

You are absolutely right, I forgot about PH :joy:

3 Likes

Bahahaha :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: you crack me up!

2 Likes

On the real…. There’s a huge part we’re missing and I think thiols and the such is it we just need to grasp a better understanding. (At least I do ) I tend to spend much less time reading/researching as opposed to my younger years, but I really need to get back to it even more so I can really understand all of these things and their correlation to the skunkity funk!

2 Likes

I’m giving myself 2 weeks to major in plant biology and natural chemistry :wink:

The explanations may be complex but I’m sure once we crack the code we’ll be like “well, yeah, Duh, obviously”

Reading makes for a more organized mind. A larger pool of vocabulary to grasp the most complex of concepts.

Get to work :kissing_heart:

9 Likes

Marijuana Botany by Rob Clarke is a good place to start with selective breeding basics if you’re in need of such information. You can still get it on Amazon in paperback. I can also send you my copy to borrow if you want. But at this point you’re way deeper than basic breeding. This is an important project for RKS believers.

I remember when I was a kid, I’d smell skunk in weed all the time. Sometimes, it was just straight skunk. But as I started smoking and got older, that smell in cannabis went away. I can smell a jar of weed and it smells like straight up fruit loops. I can then hand the jar to my dad who’s never smoked in his life and he says it smells like skunk spray. But I still want to believe the real skunk is out there…somewhere, hiding in the deep end of the gene pool…waiting to be rediscovered

5 Likes

Chance favors the prepared mind :wink:

Been growing for close to 2 decades and breeding for 10 years. I read hundreds of books/papers in the last 5 years alone. I’m giving this my best shot.

Over time I became nose blind to parts of the weed smell. I was growing an orange line outdoors in a relatives yard and everybody was freaking out because it reeked of skunk. To me it smelled like sweet mandarin oranges haha.

2 years ago, I found a skunk plant in this line “skunk #37”… that confirmed to me that not only it is in there but also that you can’t be nose blind to the skunk stench.

I really don’t want to hype this though. There’s no telling how things are going to go from here.

8 Likes

Oh, well don’t I feel like a tard lol

2 Likes

I had a good chuckle ! Your post came from a genuine place so don’t feel bad… the part about I can borrow your book was good though :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I try to be as helpful as I can be😅

2 Likes

That’s the right energy :ok_hand:

2 Likes