Legends never die

I had a huge bag for years. From brick weed. Never had a problem with any of it. Some of it you didn’t know what you were getting. Seeds are fun.
I hate to say it I’m really in a situation now that I’m not able to try and breed. I’ll try and do something with them.

4 Likes

Well, they could be worth a look. Old brick weed seeds are precious now haha. Sure some could be meh, but the opposite is also true :+1:

4 Likes

Dead skunks on the side of the road usually look bad :laughing:

3 Likes

Looking good :+1:. I’m fascinated by the nose blind effect, it’s actually a bit offsetting not smelling weed!

2 Likes

Taste and smell are closely related, things like the miracle berry are pretty interesting. So is the habit of carrying coffee beans to cleanse the nasal palate. It always works 50 percent of the time.I sort of make smelly stuff for a living, and I can intensly anecdotally confirm that the nose doesn’t always know, and systematic labeling is crucial. Also, third party assessment can be invaluable, if possible. Like colors, my blueish green might be your greenish blue

2 Likes

@Mithridate When was the first time the theory of the skunk smell being bred out started?

If anything I think it just fell out of favor. People were growing to sell and if something wasn’t “Hot” at the moment why continue growing it.

If in fact the Skunk smell was bred out like some say, it would continually pop up. Who would have spent that much time to have actually bred it out?

2 Likes

It happens with overexposure to weed and at the same time once you begin to breed or take interest in breaking down different smells you have to train yourself to look past what a non smoker would call the weed smell.

3 Likes

I do some nose cleansing at home when taking notes, usually a piece of paper sprayed with a mix of water and a couple drops of essential oil :slightly_smiling_face: kind of to reset.

The idea it was bred out started with skunkman himself. Claiming the first skunk1 seeds were very skunk smelling and he spent 10 years breeding it out before selling his first skunk1 seeds.

I do think it was bred out, but skunkman never had it.

My theory is skunk weed produces sugar but something converts it into alcohol and make it reek. That something was inactivated or unintentionally bred out.

At the same time, it’s possible that by selecting for vigor, breeders were inadvertently selecting for cross pollination contamination and away from the thing that make skunk unique

Seeing how in my batch of old seeds, the big healthy plants, while very nice and vigorous, are not producing the stench that the little ugly plants are, I can see growers crossing those to better the structure etc

A one point crosses must have been just right, then boom disappeared

7 Likes

I experienced the nose blind last year really bad.
I think the experience of being around weed has made other smells noticeable, while none smokers just smell skunk. :crossed_fingers: you find it though.
Your recovery is still going well I hope.

1 Like

I was reading or listening to something which suggested there were enzymes that facilitate part of the microbial production which in turn gives rise to the pungent skunk smells. I think it also has to do with heat and temperature giving way to these microbial populations. There’s a hypothesis about drying, curing, and storage processes changing from back in the day compared to more modern methods as it relates to the heat and temperature hypothesis. Your sugars and alcohol hypothesis give more avenues to research and for that I’m grateful for you sharing. Likewise grateful to @dubby12. Enjoy this type of conversation greatly. Much love

4 Likes

I know it’s in there, just have to either understand all the processes that come into play or… get lucky :laughing:

Back is doing great, I tried some jogging the other day, maybe 200ft and didn’t feel pain. The doc is not happy about my experiments lol

I’m in good shape so all the core strengthening exercises are easy and the docs are baffled.

6 Likes

There are people claiming it has been bred out because it was too pungent and made it harder to smuggle because of that.

Oldtimers seems to say it was at some point widespread because of good commercial value. No idea if it means that the smell by itself raised the bag price, or that it was a good producer.

:partying_face:

1 Like

It’s another possibility yes. It all could be in the same equation, one or more elements are missing and is causing the processes to stall.

I started from the bottom and pulled up papers on the basics, ie metabolic pathways, enzymes/coenzyme, amino acids, cysteine etc

There is a metric ton of papers on volatile sulphur compounds in food too.

Always a pleasure chatting with you :pray:

3 Likes

Post relocated

3 Likes

All the same equation that’s such a great way to phrase it, everything touches. Likewise, a genuine pleasure! Much love

1 Like

I was out west. A guy had some. Was smelly. No lie it was so strong I was hitting a one hitter and the hotel manager was running around in the dark looking for the skunk. I was scared I was going to get busted.

1 Like

Post relocated

8 Likes

But where is it relocated?
How’s the recovery?

1 Like

Where did u relocate it brother @Mithridate

1 Like