Let’s see those old grow guides and collectibles!

That’s why it sits bedside

1 Like

CANNABIS
Jonathon Green

4 Likes

To combat the anti marijuana propaganda that every young person/child hears.

8 Likes

37 tons… And that was just to keep Bob Marley in supply… :joy:

7 Likes

Cannabis Cultivator
Jeff Ditchfield

6 Likes

This looks like a microscope slide case. But it has a Weed logo :joy::raised_hands:

2 Likes

I kinda thought so too… I can’t imagine what that is.

I did not see it pictured in the thread yet but I have been looking for a paperback book from I believe the 70’s and it may have been a book about hash. The book was maybe 5x7 sized. Inside there was an analysis of large population of cannabis plants that were all grown under differing nutrient profiles. The book highlighted its findings that although plants fed high nitrogen and all necessary micronutrients looked better that the quality suffered and it was the plants with nutrient deficiencies that expressed the best spectrums and qualities of highs and flavors. Anyone have any hints about that book? They would be highly appreciated.

3 Likes

Do you remember what the cover looked like?

1 Like

Only that it was black and white and maybe had a picture of a field on the cover? I can’t remember exactly… I have not seen this since ~92
I recall that the book was white/off-white and the cover photo had a half inch band of white near the edges of the cover so that the picture was in the center of the cover.

1 Like

It may have been a book on hash production or growing… I cannot recall anything other than the analysis of nutrient issues that was in the beginning of the book.

1 Like

The Secret Garden
Marijuana
George Lassen, 1986.

6 Likes

Great book…

1 Like

From Marijuana chemistry: genetics, processing & potency by Michael Starks

quote from p.82-83:

So far the most carefully controlled
study was done in 1975 on Afghani plants grown in a greenhouse. All the variables were kept constant except the soil: 11 distinct types native to Maryland were used. At six weeks,
before the plants flowered, they were harvested and their cannabinoids measured. THC exceeded CBD for all soils except one which was somewhat higher than average in potassium and lower in calcium. Since this one exception had a low total cannabinoid content, the conclusion was that deficient soil retarded development
and conversion of CBD to THC. In the study, the CBD content did not vary significantly but THC varied by a factor of seven, exceeding CBD from slightly more than one to about six
times. The two soils which produced plants with twice as much THC content as the other nine soils, had low magnesium, low iron and a lightly acid pH, and these plants tended to be short,
have a low dry weight, a low number of nodes, a small number of leaflets per leaf at the top node, and a fairly high CBD content.
Although the plants were immature and quite small when harvested, the data obtained are quite consistent with those of other experiments and there seems no reason to doubt them.
This study provides an excellent illustration of a fundamentalpoint which has escaped its authors as well as everyone else in the field. If we calculate the total THC content per plant we
find that the two soil conditions which yielded plants with two to three times more total THC than any of the other were actually
not those giving the most potent plants. In fact, the plants with the greatest total yield had less than half the THC concentration
of the most potent plants. This difference might have been even more striking if the plants had been allowed to mature.
Though the total THC yield varied by a factor of nine, it might have varied more if mature flowering tops had been obtained.
The soil conditions and plant characteristics for maximumtotal yield were strikingly different from those for greatest potency. The two soils had a slightly acid pH, and high phosphate,
potassium and calcium, and the plants were the tallest, with the highest number of leaflets per leaf at the top node, the greatest number of nodes, the greatest dry weights and low to moderate CBD levels.

The explanation for this may be that stress (in this case soil deficiencies) inhibits the synthesis of proteins, carbohydrates, etc. to a greater degree than it inhibits cannabinoid production
and thus will give smaller, but more potent plants. If other kinds of stress, absent from this study but present in nature,
were applied, the variation would doubtless be even more extreme. These would include drought, low light, competition from other plants, and damage by the elements, insects and fungi.
Even so, the minimal soil stresses in this study led to the most potent plants being less than half as tall as the plants with greatest total yield.
The consequences of these observations for the marijuana farmer are clear. You have two basic chokes: high potency and low yield or lower potency and higher yield.

End quote

10 Likes

If that’s the one he’s been looking for that would be amazing!

2 Likes

This cover definitely looks familiar even though I thought the book I was referring to had data from large population outdoor grows. Does this book have pages of tables containing the data that was analyzed? Those tables of data and their analysis was what I was seeking.

2 Likes

Thank you, Mithridate, downloaded a copy --I think I have this backed up somewhere :sweat_smile: but this was not the book I was looking for.

2 Likes

What about this one?

8 Likes

Cool book! No, this was a thin paperback… maybe 120 pages? It was no more than 1/4" thick.

1 Like

I have downloaded a few Marijuana book collections and it was not in any of them.

1 Like