Let's See The Wild Animals In Your Yard

Who wants to do the heavy lifting, and move this thread? :slightly_smiling_face::raised_hands:

2 Likes

That’s awesome man, love the heated water you put out. Perhaps a @moderators could merge this into your post?

3 Likes

Feral dummies in their natural habitat:

29 Likes

Thanks! love having it, and so many animals also love it. It stays plugged in until the last freeze of the winter has passed and there’s no freezing weather in the long range forecast. In other words, it’s still plugged in as we just had snow overnight and this morning.

On busy days, the 15 gallons it holds can be emptied in less than a day.

8 Likes

That’s amazing man, huge respect for you doing that. Really cool.

3 Likes

Thanks @toastyjakes , much appreciated. I missed this topic but glad you could move the stuff to keep this in one place.

1 Like

Not quite as interesting as you guys, but my yard is pretty popular with the critters considering how congested with people the area is. :slight_smile: Might need to figure out a way to keep the deer out, if I start growing veggies outside like I’m thinking. For now, they’re cute…

21 Likes

I find them quite interesting. Here is a video of some Robbins that made my porch light home. Had them for 2 seasons, just turned one of my surveillance cameras on them.

9 Likes

We dont kill ALL the animals on our farm though :roll_eyes::upside_down_face:
Here is Ralph.

23 Likes

I actually had to take that picture with my phone camera, she decided to settle in the bush right outside my window. :slight_smile: I was bored and it was during lockdown anyway, though… was gone the next year.

2 Likes

@Jinglepot, I have nothing against hunters, but if you don’t mind, please delete those pics. They’re not exactly aligned with the spirit of this thread. Sorry.

7 Likes

Nice, those Robins were a pain as they were right beside my front door so in my face when I would come or go. I would open and umbrella to walk to my car and back so it didn’t disturb them, lol. Just did not have the heart to move them or stop the second nest from being built. Gotta give nature it’s space and always feel blessed when it decides that I am not a threat so it can build around me.

3 Likes

That might be too much for me… I let the birds build all the nests they want in the bushes along my driveway and they reward me by crapping all over my car, and occasionally me on my way there, so I’ve gotta draw the line somewhere. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve had to move a nest once because they snuck in a hole I didn’t notice in the garage door and built their nest in my garage, lol. I like the critters, but I’m not Dr. Doolittle just yet!

1 Like

Sure thing :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Here is one that more fits the bill :wink:

15 Likes

I look out at a lake that has year round waterfowl. We have quite a few ducks and Canadian geese, plus two swans that hang out. Currently I’ve been watching a momma goose who is sitting on a clutch of eggs along the shore. Her partner is posted up on guard duty to honk at any interlopers. The fuzzy newborns are always a treat to watch after they hatch!

Earlier this week I was surprised to see a hawk dining on a field mouse in my yard!

18 Likes

Not much wildlife in my little yard but we do get some weird bugs. Took this picture today.

13 Likes

Ok, how about some river otters :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I’ll try and dig a few up. I really need a couple of cameras. I had a bull Elk in the back yard all night once, a bear trying to climb into my back porch windows and door, deer a lot, turkey, skunk, lots of cool birds, squirrel (red and rock squirrels), I haven’t seen a mountain lion yet but the neighbors who own the mountain behind me have trail cameras up because they graze cattle from the top, down to the little valley said they’ve had lots on the cameras. They say if you have deer around here, you have mountain lions.

The area where I live IS a Dr Dolittle movie. Animals act different here than anywhere I’ve lived. They rarely spook easy.

I rode over the hill to the lake about a mile or two away, around dusk, and saw our local elk herd. Sort of rare, but I’ve figured out how to look for them and when. Maybe 150. Then as I was coming home there were more than a dozen deer all over the road a few doors down. I love it. That’s any day basically. I’ve seen a couple of red fox and a rare bobcat farther up the canyon.

I love seeing them all so relaxed. I’ve lived in a lot of cool and rural places (Montana, Wyoming…) and never saw the amount of wildlife I see here.

5 Likes

It’s not a great pic but this lil chip monk has been frequenting my bird feeder and I think its the cutest thing ever. He makes me super Happy :grin:

8 Likes