Let's See The Wild Animals In Your Yard

Not my kind of party

4 Likes

12 Likes

Wonderful and diverse species. Lucky you to have such a variety where you live.

That ‘caterpillar’ is insane! Will it become a huge moth, or butterfly?

2 Likes

Yes, a lot of it is lethal but then you get used to that lol.

It becomes an Orchard Swallow Tail butterfly, It looks like this:

11 Likes

That’s beautiful! Re ‘Lethal’, you probably do have the gnarliest reptiles &c - We have an adder as our most venomous snake- and that’s it.

Sadly an adder killed a woman’s pet Whippet in her back garden - but they tend not to kill people, due to our bigger body mass {not sure how venom works though}

That timber is gorgeous, too…Superb colour to it. {Son works with timber}

Here it’s oaks and ash and beech for a temperate climate, maybe only Yew shows such a rich red heartwood.

Was reading about Lyssavirus in bats in Australia and UK today - hope that doesn’t take hold.

Here we get the odd tiny pipistrelle flitting about…You get massive swarms of flying foxes.

Found in my garden {Our dog-son made image}

13 Likes

My mill will handle a 30" x 18’ log. I would absolutely LOVE to have the chance to put one of those on there.
I looked this up.

I wonder what tone it would put in a guitar if used on the back and sides?

7 Likes

Picked up some fresh sweet corn today unshucked.
I found this guy among the cobs while shucking it in my yard.

I’m lucky he was kinda sleepy or he would have kicked my ass. He’s big, almost an inch long.
Never seen a white one.

10 Likes

It’s a bald-faced hornet, I wouldn’t mess with it… :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

My cat living his best life in the garden

13 Likes

Is that book matched That’s amazing with the ‘Lightning strike’ effect.

Your Mill sounds impressive-

Relative orders from a Mill in France- Since Brexit prices have gone up 20% - even so,
French Oak is more affordable than ‘English’ Oak despite import and transport costs.

2 Likes

This guy landed on our cat’s outside room on our veranda. I believe this is a sharp shinned hawk. He stayed there for a surprisingly long time. Genki (our cat) was in the bedroom, completely unaware.

19 Likes

Not a snail or slug to be found

13 Likes

Opossums get a bad wrap, but they’re actually great creatures to have around.

6 Likes

They always rummage through my garden. Melons, squashes, sometimes tomatoes either gone or eaten on. Always those bastards. Otherwise we’d be friends

4 Likes

They eat rats. Lots of them.

4 Likes

Yeah, I have a garden, too. I also have about 1,000 times more deer than opossums in my area, and they can wipe out a garden in an afternoon. So as the saying goes…good fences make good neighbors, and my fence keeps out the rabbits, opossums, groundhogs and deer, so I can enjoy having them around.

2 Likes

Under Ultraviolet light they glow

14 Likes

We have two of them that come by every night while we’re sitting outside, and we toss them bread. We always thought they looked like David Berkowitz, so we named the older one “Sam” and the younger one, “Son of Sam.”

12 Likes

Yes. That’s what it looks like. I can’t look at that kind of beauty without thinking what a guitar would look like using it. I play acoustic but even an electric guitar with that natural grain showing would be an amazing thing to own.

3 Likes

I final ID’d who has been shiting on my bunny, I’ll see to them on Sept 1 first.

8 Likes