Let's see your worm bins!

Needs closer shot to tell here what worm eggs look like.

8 Likes

That probably be my first guess as well ,or house fly but maybe to big for those

2 Likes

There were a couple house flies that were trapped inside that flew out when I opened it awhile back. I guess I’ll see when they emerge!

3 Likes

I’m definitely growing fruit flies & house flies. Gonna do some research to figure out how to keep them at a minimum. Any tips from the OGers?

I also plan to dump the whole bin out today to see how the stuff at the bottom looks, I havent done that since I started the worms. Bought a bunch of bananas to blend up and feed them today as a treat too!

3 Likes

What’s the worm bin compost consist of? If it’s a five gallon bucket I’d consider other options. Bedding? Should be high carbon sources news paper , leaves, maybe with some peat mixed in . I see a lot of green mixed in on top which could be doing thermal composting. Having a container that breathes is important ( consider smart pots) and as always bury the food. Trouble with fruit flies ? Freeze food prior then bury it. Moisture level should be 50% or slightly higher. Books at the library will give newbies a lot of direction as well. Good luck @newb2.0!

2 Likes

If you go to my drop box link here Books, PDF's, and other useful nerdy sh#t

At the bottom of the list is a book called verimculture technologies. That should help out.

3 Likes

I dont think my worms survived the winter… no worms in tha avocado I put in there… guess I need to order more. :sleepy:

4 Likes

@ReikoX that’s too bad. It took me twice ordering to get live ones and I think get established.

So I emptied a good portion of fresh compost and stacked it around the outside of the bin. Watered the outside of it until the bottom started getting soggy and threw a half cup of oatmeal on top. Added an inch of brown paper after it had been in the shredder and using some LITFA for a few days.

3 Likes

I’ve had this bin for a couple of years. Noticed less worm activity this winter.

2 Likes

Cold or too much LITFA?

4 Likes

Likely both. I’ll order more and see how they do.

4 Likes

I have a bunch of these mites that enjoyed the avocado though.

6 Likes

Good colony of mites there @ReikoX ! Have ya looked at them closer with a loupe?

2 Likes

No, why? Do you think they are the reason for my MIA worms?

2 Likes

Not sure ? I doubt it but how often do you harvest your bins?

1 Like

Maybe every three months or so… its stacked five tall so the bottom castings are around a year old. I did find some dead ones in the sump at the bottom. Like I said, I’ll order more.

3 Likes

@newb2.0 when you re-start, just use some kind of mesh cover(insect screening for windows, cheesecloth, etc) & make sure the vents are screened too. no flies in, no larvae, no prollem… :wink:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

I have been thinking about this the last few days, my plastic worm bin is not cutting it, I was thinking of getting a 150gal smart pot.

I am trying to drop my plant numbers, so I was trying to think how to store my soil, and keep it working as well as keeping the worms alive.

I found a 150 gal pot, on Amazon for 25$. So I think I will get that and use it as a soil rejuvinatore as well as a worm bin/composter. It will be cooler in the summer for the worms and I can put straw bails around it in winter and tarp over the top to keep it warm.

4 Likes

That would be like a worm penthouse ! Your numbers would get so large not a bad thing IMO . Yeah like iv stared before smartpots are damn cheap IMO think I could get 1 maybe 2 pots for the cost of A 30-45 gallon tote at Wally World for the same price

2 Likes

Perfect for recharging your soil maybe add a bit of peat moss and some rock dust and you’d be golden! Tree leaves this fall and some straw come winter

3 Likes