Let's see your worm bins!

Good deal, and thanks for the confidence! I guess I better feed them before I leave for the weekend!

1 Like

A cool pic from the worm farm 360 with about a half gallon of pruned leafs getting work done lol. I dont really even chop them up anymore. They break down just fine whole.

Since I took this pic I finished sifting the soil from the pots of the last run. So those leafs got covered with roots from those plants to recycle as well.

12 Likes

Lovely. This is exactly why I started my worm bin. Between cannabis leaves, roots, etc. and coffee grounds they do quite well.

4 Likes

Every once in a while I’ll top it off with a mix of kelp, malt, and neem just to keep things booming and clean.

4 Likes

Checked my bin to see how things are going yesterday. Worm count is going up :smile: We have success so far. In the past I have let them dry out too much. I have a one gallon sprayer this time though. I sprayed about a quart and a half of rain water on the bin’s top soil after I counted a few spots.

I have a tumbler and have in mind to tumble compost previous to adding it fresh to one side of the bin.

I added an avocado cross cut and squeezed a few days back and there were a couple of larger worms in the area maybe some egg cases.

4 Likes

Ya I try to make it a point of pouring 2 gallons or so around the perimeter of the 25 gallon smart pots it seems to dry out the quickest

3 Likes

I have all these little yellow dots on the surface of the food/bedding and all over the lid and sides of the bucket. From what ive read, these are all eggs. Super excited to have some baby worms!

4 Likes

Could we see a pic of them cacoon s are more reddish or amber like

2 Likes

Cocoons IMO wouldn’t be on plain surfaces of the lid and such

1 Like

Yeah I looked at them and they were moving. I’ll take some pics in a bit & figure out how to post them.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Those don’t appear to be cacoons my friend … keep an eye on them though… I’ll go dig one out of my worm bins for what a cacoon looks like.

1 Like

Any idea what they are?

1 Like

I think they are fruit fly maggot casings/cocoons

2 Likes

Needs closer shot to tell here what worm eggs look like.

8 Likes

That probably be my first guess as well ,or house fly but maybe to big for those

2 Likes

There were a couple house flies that were trapped inside that flew out when I opened it awhile back. I guess I’ll see when they emerge!

3 Likes

I’m definitely growing fruit flies & house flies. Gonna do some research to figure out how to keep them at a minimum. Any tips from the OGers?

I also plan to dump the whole bin out today to see how the stuff at the bottom looks, I havent done that since I started the worms. Bought a bunch of bananas to blend up and feed them today as a treat too!

3 Likes

What’s the worm bin compost consist of? If it’s a five gallon bucket I’d consider other options. Bedding? Should be high carbon sources news paper , leaves, maybe with some peat mixed in . I see a lot of green mixed in on top which could be doing thermal composting. Having a container that breathes is important ( consider smart pots) and as always bury the food. Trouble with fruit flies ? Freeze food prior then bury it. Moisture level should be 50% or slightly higher. Books at the library will give newbies a lot of direction as well. Good luck @newb2.0!

2 Likes

If you go to my drop box link here Books, PDF's, and other useful nerdy sh#t

At the bottom of the list is a book called verimculture technologies. That should help out.

3 Likes