Let's see your worm bins!

Oh I would so much like to copy and paste this into that gardening forum ! Lol

4 Likes

Hey guys…I finally got an OK from the Ol’Lady, to spend the needed cashish on the worms…I managed to get three over ripe Avocado’s…I placed them butt down, with an X cut into the bottom, and squished some of the pulp out. I placed them in my bin a couple of days ago, and snuck out to check up on them. As soon as I peeled back the black cloth, worms scattered. But I managed to catch some in the act of eating/mating. I have found MANY little worms around them as well. I am believing what the above lecture said about it attracting the squirmy little fellas. I will continue this practice, it seems to be working as advertised.

K.

4 Likes

Checked my worm bin today and found several confirming at least that they are present and living. Added about 3/4 gallon of rain water to the bin. The worms were pretty deep (12-14 inches). Didn’t find any til I got to the bottom.

2 Likes

can I share my new roach bin for blatticomposting?? I also have 2 worm bins but I figure every 6 months I clean this ivory head roach bin by dumping the bedding with frass and chitin into my recycled soil mix along with the worm castings from the worm bins. I have basically no food or fan leaf waste at this point. go green and grow green :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Interesting heard of using roaches before but I’m thinking the wife wouldn’t have anything to do with it!

6 Likes

this species cannot climb and supposedly don’t smell and compost faster than worms. I would imagine tho the frass and chitin will have a diff set of benefits than the worm castings. ill keep the thread posted erry cpl months. by the end of summer im curious ho many I have because they are in warm unairconditioned room and they breed in hit temps. I have heard once you get a large population they devour anything you feed em in like a day

5 Likes

@outlier what’s your source to obtain such bugs ? Sounds interesting with the expired Rollie Pollies I get in the worm bin also I think I get a chitin load as well .

2 Likes

2 Likes

What’s the little bugs darting around at lightning speed @DanzaKuduro?

Beneficial mites. I have alfalfa hay and it contains grass seeds and mites.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Damn there huge no wonders they can go through more food!

2 Likes

Hey all a look at my worm bin and feeding.

First up the bin, a generic worm factory, it also has the second tray which is not fitted in this pic.

Now with the lid off and showing the contents,
First the worm blanket

As you can see around the edges, I lay several layers of news paper, and when peeled back showing the black gold and some worms.

They need a feed, that’s for sure. The news paper is a good indicator of how hungry the worms are, as they will eat it if they have nothing else too eat.

Below is how I feed my bin. starting with the raw ingredients which is any left overs and saved up pealing etc. I will store in a plastic bag in the lowest draw in fridge until I have enough for a few feeds.

Then they get put through a food processor, yes spoiled little buggers aren’t they, pics showing some different colours in the mix, forgot to add the coffee grounds to the first batch.

Then mix it up and divide into serving sizes.

And feed time next

Now with the bags, I squeeze out all the air, twist and tie a knot in the very end of the bag. The flatten out the contents ready for freezing.

I freeze the bags lying flat on the bottom of the freezer for later use. In summer I take 1 out and remove bag and lay it from on top. The ice helps keep the temps down in summer. In winter I’ll defrost 1 the night before and spread around latter.

This is working well for me and means only having to do this work about once every 3 weeks or so.

Cheers Johnny

14 Likes

:fork_and_knife: So where’s my lunch? :joy_cat:

Plenty o spawn there. :bug:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Looking good @Johnnybsmokin I do something similar at times where I pack the ground food into ice cube trays and freeze them then throw them into bags in the freezer taylor made lunch portion sizes ! Then send the worms off to school! Lol

2 Likes

I just started a 5 gal bucket worm bin. I had collected food for about a month then added my worms over the weekend. I checked them today and it seems like theyve already eaten most of the food and its just egg shells and paper left. Is it possible that 500 worms ate that much that quickly?

Should I just add more food straight to this wothout more paper? Will they eat the paper?

3 Likes

They will eat paper, cardboard, drink holders that are made of the paper type 500 worms is roughly 1/2 pound of worms and they’ll eat their weight in a day day IIRCC so 1-2 days they probably ate a pound or so.

You have them in a bedding or sort ? Newspaper , peatmoss , compost or something similar?

4 Likes

It’s always good to bury the food stick food in different parts of the area every time you feed.

2 Likes

Yes, I added some peat moss and shredded newspaper, along with a shredded paper egg carton that I put on top of the worms when I introduced them.

2 Likes

Sounds like your well on your way with a happy thriving worm bin ! Just keep the bedding moist let them have air and you should be well on your way to be making some quality worm castings! Doesn’t hurt to put them in with your cannabis plant or even your house plants as well!

2 Likes