Let's see your worm bins!

10/25/2018
4th turning, 3 to go. Camera battery died mid-way. :unamused:

Showered

Removed outer 4-6", exposing darkening middle.

Temperature dropping, moisture slightly high, smelled a bit of putrefaction on the bottom. No more water. (Camera battery died here).

Back in 3 days. :poop: :fire:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

10/27/2018
5th turning, 2 more…

I SNAFUed & forgot to check my calendar, skipping a day. :rolling_eyes:

Spritzed…

Exposed…

Half-way; outer layer all on right, inner on left

Close up of texture; very rough because of all the mulch

Note area on ground where the pile shifted from(witness mark)

Tamped & poked

back in 3 days. :blush:

2 Likes

10/31/2018 :jack_o_lantern: update

6th turning, next & final one will be into… :bug: the worrrrrrrm piiiiiiile…

No water added this time, heat still present but not hot (see steamy below).

:sunrise: Hey there, compost heap…

Gettin hyphae’ are we? :mushroom: :mag:

:musical_note: Put the OUTSIDE on the INSIIIIIIDE… :musical_note: :rolling_eyes:

:shower: :fire: Getting steam but we don’t have enough power, captain! :rocket:

Mostly turned, getting some rich :poop: here with a lot of sticks…

All done except for piercing & covering. See you in 3 days,…wooooorms

8 Likes

Great thread, it’s very interesting. I tried doing this years ago and failed miserably. Can anyone link a good guide or something for a simple worm bin?

Have started a compost pile as well but that shit takes forever. Are worms faster at breaking stuff down into usable nutes?

Edit: also lol at the guy who buys his worms bananas every week. Us stoners are really normal!

3 Likes

I have a whole bunch of unorganized bookmarks to go through but there should be here… :thinking: ehh… try https://www.redwormcomposting.com/
to tide you over… :smile:

4 Likes

20-30 gallon smart pot will do the trick!
They need air to thrive I put (2) 20 gallon pots up on a partial pallet so air is available all around the pot
Probably 15$ investment if that!

5 Likes

Thanks guys, I’ve got some reading to do!

2 Likes

That’s mine it’s made of fruit plastic crates. 3 levels plus the one at the bottom to collect leachate (lined with regular trash bags). Simple, dirt cheap, but hey it works.

7 Likes

I dont hear the worms complaining. :wink:

5 Likes

11/3/2018
7th turning, mostly just a ‘moving’ to the worm pile…

Still has some heat, a bit of “steam”… Time to move it. :muscle:

I ‘chopped’ a section off without disturbing the rest so as to hopefully see layers…(the camera flash is on here).

Here’s essentially what it’s resulted in.

Not the greeatest :blush: but as @ReikoX has noted, worms aren’t too particular. Just slow.

Le pile d’wormtivitie’ (proof of my Californity)

Some of our friends…

'djoo eyver haddjor cheet pooshed, ese?.. :dagger: :sleeping_accommodation: :bug:

:convenience_store: more food for them… that’s all of that batch.

I kept a small amount to “innoculate” the next batch. Note the stain left behind. :poop: :blush:

So that will be there at least until next spring. Now I’ll start a new heap later today but photographing that process(running the chipper/shredder & whatnot) is too risky on the camera &… well, crazytown. I’m not one of those peoples.

While it was nice to be under the pressure of demonstration, I’m probably going to pass the baton to another OGer to diary their compost. :smile:

:wave: Thanks for watching. :tv:

12 Likes

Dang that’s a sizable pile @cannabissequoia no messing around at your place ! Looking good!

6 Likes

Right on folks living that worm lifeI am a huge supporter of composting for so many reasons I preach its benefits far and wide everybody around me is sick of hearing it but its the truth great job everybody grow on

2 Likes

lil black gold pile and a straggler.

6 Likes

Found a great vid for this thread enjoy!

7 Likes

I just cleaned my worm bed out today lots of nice castings. I make like a tea out of the small bits of paper I don’t throw back in and I feed mine cornmeal most of the time. Have you ever saw the rainforest nightcrawlers? They grow up to 4ft

4 Likes

I haven’t I need to check it out my guess is those bad boys move a lot of soil how big around are they!

1 Like

I had never heard of these and still haven’t found anything. Do you happen to know the species and which rain forest they are from? I did find these that get over 9’ almost 3m, damn that’s huge.

3 Likes

This is the video I saw yrs ago. But it looked like there was a" smaller" worm on there as well. (looked to be at least 16") on you tube I mean

6 Likes

:nerd:

When European settlement arrived in Australia, so did cows and cow poo. Aus’ native mammals do not produce large manures. And so the detritivores(?) that normally process large animal dung were absent and the result was a very rapid accumulation of cow shit in Australia. And flies.

IIRC, the African dung beetle was called in to help, composting worms, etc. and the problem was mitigated relatively fast.

The giant earthworms are very different from our favorite composters and could never tackle the “modern” problem.

What a coincidence :smile: I harvested about a pint of worms from the permiter of my soil pile & started a new “worm generator” because the soil will all be harvested & used this spring. I am not about to hand-sort 4-5 yards :sweat_smile: & it’s too cold to “lure” them.

As an experiment I puree’d a banana peel & they inhaled that sucker in about a day :astonished: so the new trial is a menu for them, 3 rows:

• cornmeal (standard option)
  • ground red lentils (more protein)
  • ground dog kibble (crazy protein!)

…with a little flour/sugar between the new food rows & a banana peel as a lure. In a week I’ll see what food has disappeared fastest & report whether they wag their tails or take over my living :couch: room. :smile:

8 Likes

Well, I guess it’s still an issue…! :blush:

https://1u777x2ezwgx2fgwl449mmls-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/DungBeetleBasicFacts.png

6 Likes