Let's see your worm bins!

Funny story, I ordered a worm farm 360 from uncle Jim’s and the double shipped it :joy::joy:. Looks like my buddy is getting a free worm farm

9 Likes

Wow a 2 for 1 deal can’t beat that!

5 Likes

Either that or keep it for the additional trays that’s also a benefit!

3 Likes

I thought about that, but I think the standard set should work perfect for recycling old pots.

3 Likes

Worm food trial update. Of the 3 test feeds, dog food wins hands-down, and they show negligible interest in the red lentil meal. :sweat_smile: :bug: :muscle:

I won’t use it as their primary food but it’s an obvious worms-choice winner for these crackhead worms of mine. :thinking:

They are making a… well, literal shitload of casts too.

Weird.

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

cat food pile test one two… i poured some beer on some cardboard if thay are not eating it they are bedding in it.

2 Likes

I found they love cardboard., Im not to turned off by a nice section of that brown beauty’s bubble in my hands. The worms for sure sleep and fuck in the middle layer, but they have females so you know they gotta be able to make choices. So give them lots of choices but no opinions

3 Likes

Soggy cardboard indeed. They’re all hermie’s, iirc…(assuming red wigglers)… but they do f#&$%*^&( like crazy & that’s why they make great composting worms. Temperatures help a lot too…i.e. too cold & they slowwww down.

Just a guess but I thought about catfood too but superstititously assumed it’s got more salts & went with :cow2: beef…it’s what’s for dinner, dog food :joy:

1 Like

At cold temps the production of castings go down. But the production of cocoons goes up. You may not be getting the castings over winter but come spring they’re population should explode. They love corn( dog food) it makes them fat like cattle, dogs and humans lol. You can use chicken crumbles from any feed store. Sprinkling alfalfa pellets on top of worm bin can help heat it up.

4 Likes

…any idea why the larger ones would be actively moving & exploring? I recently re-layered with peat, cornmeal, bit of dog food, bit of oystershell flour. No obvious fumes or heat build up but there was some sudden migration after this. :thinking: Maybe they’re “in the mood” :blush: because that’s what appears to be going on.

In an early worm bin trial I messed up with too little venting & had a mass-migration clean-up in the morning. :unamused: Doesn’t appear to be the case here.

2 Likes

I’m not sure. I just threw some peat on top of mine, so I hope they don’t start to. I’ve only had a lot of movement after I screen them and start over.

What kind of dog food are you guys using?

1 Like

I used some beef flavored purina ‘beneful’ kibbles & ground it & moistened. It was the cheapest option. These f#%$^&ers don’t need grain-free! :smile:

2 Likes

I saw 1 NC at the bottom of one of my bins, it moved and just kept on moving, I never saw the end of it, just crazy. Glad there aren’t 2 in there or i’d have my hands full with a bin of hungry giants :wink:

1 Like

Look at that army…Speaking of Worms…Have any of you guys, ever played Worms? I had the original for PS1…Still to this day, the best game I have played…Badass little killers…Not to be fkd with…

7 Likes

Sorry for the double post guys…But this is something I just learned…Avacado’s cut with an X…@22:10 :slight_smile:

Fancy dancy trick for reproduction…

3 Likes

Oh heyyll yes. Circa 1992 on PC over Novell at school.

5 Likes

I watched the video, and couldn’t make out half of it because of the “strobing” Slide show (bright/normal/bright/normal, etc) and the volume up and down. Here’s my question, was he talking about adding worms to the pot/bag you grow in, or a secondary pot that you put that soil into what you are growing in?

The avocado trick is pretty cool, though.

1 Like

The key to everything in the first one, is the Ninja Rope…As I am sure you are aware…

I did not get that info either…I am sure he meant in the pot/bed you are growing in…But, on the flipside, filling a 5 gall bucket with compost and an Avocado, could be a good way of producing lots of worms.

@Tinytuttle Thanks for this thread, it is pretty cool…I appreciate all the info.

Regards,

K.

3 Likes

Hey lotus,

About the Alfalfa…Do you think it would be bad to have Alfalfa straw, used as a layer in my No-Till bed? I never knew it was harmful to worms…Do you think it’s best, just to layer the straw twice, and forgo the Alfalfa hay?

Thanks in advance,

K.

2 Likes

My opinion is that it would be great The idea that @lotus710 was driving at with alfalfa was the meal that was in the worm bin at high levels, alfalfa which is high in Nitrogen could start a thermal composting action with the carbons which we would want to try to avoid! Your wormy buddies will munch away on it at night time at their leisure!

4 Likes