Long term storage

Only makes “sense”.
Haha

Lol. Yes I had a stem puncture the bag. I haven’t gone back to fix it yet. I’m just sealing away. Would be nice if they had colored bags and not so expensive.

2 Likes

People don’t believe in storing it like we do. They have no idea what they’re missing. How was the old bag with the stem? Bet it was just as tasty.

2 Likes

They make a heavy duty freezer bag roll that works best I find

2 Likes

This is the ones from Amazon $17 and change US

1 Like

Just ran some tests on some similarly stored product (jar / boveda / room temp) and was a bit surprised to the result in that particular case. Check it here,

Still trying to figure out what is going on with the terps decomposition-wise.

4 Likes

Wow! Very interesting! I am second-guessing myself now.

1 Like

Nice. Thank You. Putting my order in.

Loki Hi
What Boveda packs are you using I use the 62% for my weed in mason jars that I am using at the time.

1 Like

No, no. It’s a bit odd and just like you’ve said, the color has changed / terpenes doing weird things. Don’t know what to make of it. Potency numbers don’t follow what I’d expect, either (better than expected in this case, small amount of CBN).

Hi Stiggy, 62% or something in the 60’s, can’t remember. Which ever one they’re selling these days. Stabilized the humidity for cure then would drop in the pack. Using the rubber gasket’ed Le Parfait Super Jars.

edit: just checked, 62%

4 Likes

Air tight, food safe buckets/55 gallon drum. Place whole, dried, untrimmed colas into it and seal. Bury it outside.

3 Likes

Where do you find ones that can be open and closed
Are you talking like water tight storage barrels ?
I know The Sportsmensguide sells them

Yes. I like screw top containers. They sell them at ag and feed stores sometimes.

1 Like

I have frozen weed in glass jars and metal containers with good success. I was always told my whole life by others to never freeze weed because when you take it out of the freezer all the smell and flavour sublimates out after you open the lid. I saw a post from menegene a couple of months back and he was asking people to guess how old this weed was and nobody even came near. I think the bud he was showing was 6 or 8 years old. It apparently still smelled and smoked as good as when he put it in.

The apparent way to do this is when you have frozen weed, take the jar out of the freezer the night before to let it slowly get back to room temp overnight without opening the jar right away. I was skeptical at first so I had to try it out. First with a few ozs and then with like a half p. I kept a few strains that normally lose their volatile smells relatively quickly (like 2 months in a jar) and to my surprise after opening one up after a few months in the freezer and letting it slowly get to room temp, it still smelled very gassy. I was sold and now when I have a surplus of something I like, I always freeze it rather than have the smells change on me.

The thing about plastic bags is they are porous. It’s only a matter of time before smell starts to escape. It only takes a few days for the smell to seep out of a vac seal enough for a dog to smell it. That’s why a lot of stuff shipped cross country has multiple seals on it.

I’ve had some gorilla glue in the freezer for a good while now If I remember I’ll take some pics when they come out of the frost. Metal shrinks a bit when frozen so keep that in mind with certain types of lids.

Gotta say thanks to meangene for sharing some great knowledge that some people might have kept to themselves.

9 Likes

I’ve noticed when storing cannabis flowers in just sealed Mason jars I loose flavor after 6 months time. So I experimented with vac sealing. This seems to work much better, but it squishes the buds. I’ve been incorporating open jars and containers to stop the squish and it seems to work well for me and my needs. What’s everyone else do or use for storage and preservation? I would love to hear any other ideas and feedback. Thanks everyone :nerd_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I haven’t tried vacuum sealing though I have the equipment and oxygen absorpers. Might try this for this season.

1 Like

To help prevent squishing when vacuum sealing I will bag it in a ziplock remove most of the air from the bag leaving a small amount of air sealed in.

I’ve found if you do this then seal the ziplock in a vacuum bag it prevents a total squashing of the buds.
Also the higher end machines have a separate vacuum button to stop the suction so it can be sealed looser, trial and error will give you the perfect consistency in the seal.

2 Likes

I just vacuum seal my mason jars. I have an attachment to my Food Saver that fits over the mason jar’s lid and allows it to pull out all of the air, then you pull it off and tighten the ring the rest of the way and stick the jar in storage.

11 Likes

Thanks @ShiskaberrySavior! Mine has the dry or moist setting for vac sealing and I use the dry setting and manual stop and seal when I think it’s ready. The moist setting will sometimes seal before Its ready. Thanks for the help

1 Like

@Howard.Crane thanks bro, I actually have that same setup yet I’m having difficulty taking the plastic top off without pulling up the Mason lid. Probably just a learning curve for me, but that’s exactly why I got that lid sealer.

2 Likes