Nitrogen packaging

I have a Nitrogen bottle that I have used to nitro-flush packets of delicate Japanese Sencha tea that is sensitive to oxidation.

I seal across the dotted line, stick the nitro-nozzle in the gap, flush, then quickly seal the small opening.

Has anybody tried this with Canna?

An anecdotal observation, not measured with instruments, with the tea is that it preserved the tea well, however it seemed that once opened that the tea dried out faster than normal.

5 Likes

I think they do it with CO2 as well.

2 Likes

Nitrogen purging replaces all the natural air which contains moisture creating a dry environment.
That would have an affect on the moisture content of the stored material.

Maybe including a humidipack would solve it. Depends on the varietal but 58% should be good for most.

2 Likes

I bet it would preserve it much better than just a jar. I almost want to buy some nitrogen and do a with and without comparison.

1 Like

I’ve seen a few dispensaries use nitrogen packaging but I can’t say if there’s any difference or not with it. Should preserve it for longer tho.

1 Like

Argon is another possibility…
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/supplies/finishing/30268-finish-preserve?item=53Z2101

My father loved this stuff.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I am going to be chopping 4 girls in the next week.

I will do some trials with it.

@RandomCalyxDB0 you bring up a good point, and that could explain the perceived faster drying out of the tea I experienced.

Any suggestions on test protocol for something like this.
Something like:

• Use mylar bags, heat sealer, bottled Nitrogen
  • 1 bag as a control with no speacial treatment
  • 1 bag with a nitrogen flush
  • 1 bag with a Nitro flush and Humid Pack
  • Weigh 1/4 oz into each bag, try to keep bud size similar mix of small/large
  • Place humid-stat in each bag, flush with Nitro and seal, allow 30 minutes to stabilize then mark bag with RH value.
  • Place all 3 bags in a shoebox tote in a dark closet for 3 months
  • Record humid-stat on each bag monthly.
  • Do side by side blind comparison of smoke
3 Likes

If you have the material and the costs aren’t crazy I might do sets of them. Open a non treated and a purged one at 3 months. Open a non treated and purged one at 6 months etc.

1 Like

I like the idea, we will see what my yield is on these girls, they are smallish autos.

I like the idea though. Maybe burn 1 set at 3,6,9 months.

1 Like

I have a CO2 bottle as well, I make my own tonic waters and ginger-ales. LOL, I have read a lot about supplementing CO2 to a grow, but alas I am not sure the view is worth the climb in a tent.

Will read up on it, might be worth adding a CO2 bag to the sets in the trial.

Lets throw the question out there, which gas would be best and why?
Nitrogen, CO2, Argon, others???

2 Likes

Lol. Maybe a blast from my soda stream would work too :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Same principle, but the bottles for SodaStream are WAY overpriced.

2 Likes

(The convenience store bootlegs the refills for a fraction of the price).

But yes, you are right.

2 Likes

Not exactly the same thing, but it’s based on the same principle; how about trying one with oxygen absorption packets?

3 Likes

Devil’s advocate: a little oxidation is actually desirable. Discuss :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

Why, does oxidation mellow, or improve somehow?
I believe THC oxidizes into CBN, so good if you need sleepy time meds.

2 Likes

I’m not a cannabinoid scientist but THC degrades into etc but yes, sleepier.

I had a piece of hash that was a year old and oxidized and black as tar and sleepy and wonderful.

It depends what you’re after I guess.

3 Likes

Easily accessible gasses:

Argon or CO2 / Argon mix - welding shops. Inert mixture to provide an oxygen free environment for the arc to occur during welding. Argon is pricey on its own, hence usually a 75% CO2 / 25% Argon mix is commonly available. I think this might work well…

Nitrogen - used to fill tires, etc. A very dry air, inert to oxidation, but I would imagine it would dry out the buds a bit, but only as much as it takes to balance the nitrogen within the bag.

Nitrox - A mixture commonly used for scuba diving. Air is 20% Oxygen and 78% nitrogen (well roughly and theres other gasses in there). Nitrox mixtures ramp the oxygen percentage up to 32%, 34%, 36%, 38% and 40%. Higher mixtures are available but are usually custom requests. So you could use this for more than atmospheric oxygen, but not pure oxygen… Maybe a happy medium?

1 Like

Hmmmm, you are correct I believe in that “only as much as it takes to balance”. So if I were to vacuum the bag, that would eliminate most of the gas volume, resulting in very little volume to balance. Yes, very dry during purge but I suspect it would achieve equilibrium within the vacuumed space rather quickly.

I did not vacuum the tea leaves because they were too delicate, it would have ruined them. So maybe this is the key, pull a vacuum to eliminate most of the “gas volume” and what little volume is left “should” equalize quickly. Maybe bag them at 1% higher humidity to compensate. Worth thinking about.

1 Like

Definitely worth exploring. One thing my scuba instructor classes did teach me was gas blending, gasses ability to hold moisture, pressures (and vacuum to a degree), and balance between them. Thinking outside the box applies this to other areas :smiley:

I also think my vacuum sealer on my counter has two settings, one that would suck all the air out, compressing the nugs a bit much, and one that for sucking most of the air out, for delicate items you dont wanna crush. That might be perfect…

2 Likes