Long term storage

I shoot for 60 and I have jars that are 18 months old that still stable.

1 Like

right, i heard people explicit pointing out they stored seeds in a very stable feeling Backroom (not sunside) without any coldstorage, sometimes just in a random plastic containerā€¦ for like 15 Years.!
I think i heard that two times ā€¦ but would never put everything on this one card

Another parameter that can be easily manipulated is temperature.

For example:
Take a dry environment, 20C @ 20& RH. Chill that air down to 5C and your RH is 50%

(the coffee kicked in :crazy_face: :vulcan_salute:)

Cheers
G

1 Like

i read a lot and a lot of posts about this, itā€™s so contradictingā€¦

so i cured my flowers for about 6 months until the smell texture and smoke is perfect, then put 'em in ounce size mylar bags, squeezed the air out by hand, closed 'em, heat sealed 'em, with a oxygen absorber in there, then put 'em in my regular fridge freezer.

is that good? no good? lemme know what yaā€™ll think thanks!

Should be fine if itā€™s sealed well. Just donā€™t open it right away when you take it out of the freezer. Let it come back to room temp first. Iā€™ve vac sealed some stuff for over a year and also jarred it which isnā€™t quite as good of a seal and had good luck with both. Quality was basically the same as when it put it in the freezer. Mylar should be even better than a vac seal too. Some people do a double seal to be on the safe side.

1 Like

I usually hang for 14 days @60% trim then zip lock leaving a small amount of air in the bag then into a vacuum bag seal and store in the freezer . Remove from freezer to a vacuum jar with a 56% humidity pack to consume .
It continues to cure till itā€™s gone .

1 Like

By vacuum jar do you mean mason jar? if not, whatā€™s a vacuum jar? how long does it stay sealed in the freezer? thanks for the info

1 Like

There called a vac seal jar designed to remove air when the lid closes . I think the brand is called vac tight ! Pretty much indefinitely 2 years is very doable once sealed and in the freezer.

3 Likes

Hmmā€¦I wonder if this is still good.

Iā€™m not going to open it quite yet though. They look fine from what I can see though.

5 Likes

Iā€™d almost bet they should be fine .

1 Like

It seems like every day I find weed that Iā€™d forgotten about. :joy:

2 Likes

You and me both itā€™s everywhere . Washing machine / dryer gets it fair share wifeā€™s getting good at cleaning my weed just donā€™t like the fabric softener.

1 Like

I found an ounce that was purchased almost 3 years ago that hasnā€™t been touched.

I found another ounce hidden in a basket under my seed collection.

I have a 1/4 pound sitting in the second shower that we donā€™t use.

I had forgotten about the few ounces I got off my autos this summer. They were hiding in with my collection of mason jars for preserves.

A friend of mine said recently ā€œimagine if we had this much weed available in high schoolā€

I told him we would have gone to jail.

6 Likes

Or been high 24/7 .wait thatā€™s how it is now not a lot had changed .

1 Like

Yeah, we were that too :joy: we just paid for it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using this to vac seal regular canning jars.

jar sealer

Runs from the external port on my vacuum sealer.

Cheers
G

8 Likes

Another thought regarding vacuum sealing.

Thinking about this a bit, I have some reservations on vacuum sealing for long term storage and would think that pressurizing the container with an inert gas (reducing oxidation) would be a better solution. The reasoning is that under vacuum youā€™re reducing the vapor pressure which results in volatiles outgassing at a higher rate particularly if the temperatures remains the same. If vacuum sealing and then storing cold, that might be fine while reducing oxidation (cold shifts the vapor pressure back).

Optimally, when you open the container, you should smell ā€¦ well, nothing. Nothing at all (at least from the perspective of smelling terpenes). That is, until you handle it in some fashion releasing the volatiles.

Maybe the amounts released under vacuum donā€™t actually matter, idk.

5 Likes

I agree 100% zero smell till the fresh air hits it or ground up then it reeks.

3 Likes

My understanding is that argon would be the best gas to use for this. It is often used to preserve partial bottles of high value wine.

There is a device called a Coravin that actually allows pouring a still sealed bottle of wine through a needle inserted through the cork. As the wine flows out it replaces the volume with argon. I have also known wine bars or high end restaurants to have their own tanks of argon to preserve partial bottles in more make shift but also more economical ways.

1 Like

I was curious why nobody mentioned inert gas storage; Iā€™m considering getting a nitrogen tankā€¦ No oxygen, no oxidation!