Lophophora's Peyote

The cactus cleaved in twain flourishes. Well, maybe not the severed portion, that part still looks thirsty and without roots. I have to remind myself its only been four months, still plenty of time for root development.

Meanwhile the rooted portion has grown four pups with a combined volume equivalent to the portion of cactus which was removed.

Until I see roots I have yet to live up to my boasting about doubling one’s cactus collection, but this has still been lots of fun to watch.

Here are a couple of sneaky flowers that blossomed under the radar. If you look closely at the fruit in the tan coloured container you can see the black seed beneath the pink flesh.

When is the last time I watered these things? I really need to pay better attention…

13 Likes

You can do it severed peyote head!! :smiley:

Damn, 4 months though? how long is it supposed to take??!

6 Likes

As long as it wants :rofl:

Root development can start within a week or two, and I’m pretty sure the process is accelerated by light deprivation.

Alas this cutting is playing on hard mode but clearly has an iron will to live.

No rush, pictures to follow…

5 Likes

They are called “Old man peyote” for a reason @Oldtimerunderground !

lol

4 Likes

Lol, you got that right. Imagine a timelapse of the growth, it would take years :joy:

5 Likes

Has it been a month already?

The plants have grown… Hardly at all! Come to think of it they might enjoy a bit of water.

Still not sure if the cutting has taken root but it clearly has some fight in it yet.

The great outdoors

These random cacti have been selected to be thrown to the wolves. I’m not sure when I put them out exactly but I have a photo dated five days ago, so at least that long.

The week of sunlight is bringing out the purple, at least to my eyes.

I’m not sure if that’s a bit of sunburn but this little cactus is going to learn to get over it.

13 Likes

What an interesting thread, thank you for the knowledge :clap:

2 Likes

Beautiful. I love this thread.

With all the plants & cacti in this house, I must find myself one of these lil pups to nurture :slight_smile: whenever I see ‘em up for sale on Kijiji, the price is more than an Oz of weed at the legal stores. Hoping one of these days I’ll find something at a garden centre that may be miss-marked.

4 Likes

My lophophora collection…

Trichocereus pachanoi

19 Likes

More pachanoi

17 Likes

Trichocereus Peruvianis

17 Likes

What a phenomenal collection! Beautiful plants. I see you are no stranger to grafting either, great looking work.

The trichocereus look healthy and plentiful as well, although I try to steer away from columnar cacti. Just look at that peruvianis. Every single spine on there says “¡No Gracias!”, and that thing has a lot of spines.

How long have you been cultivating your peyotes?

10 Likes

Peruvian torch, but the spines not growing strong… Need plant in soil.

12 Likes

2003/04 or so… I visit you website a lot a fews years ago to view grafting… Thanks Master

14 Likes

Twin

13 Likes

Ive worked with Wachuma for 3 years.
For 18 months, I could do ceremony every month. I never found it bitter. And those I served my tea, they never found my brew to be bitter (in fact the most common feedback I got was “Sparkly”)

Though, I’ve only encountered Peyote once.
I had a grow partner rip me off of the entire crop I grew (150 Lbs). So a Native in that valley approached me and gave me a sheet of organic Lucy and a big mason jar of Peyote he had been fermenting for 3 years. He let me live in his teepee for 6 weeks while I used those medicines.
I drank that Peyote over 3 occasions. I was surprised at how gentle and tranquil it is (though I find Wachuma to be the same way). The only difference I noticed is that Peyote is Much more visual than Wachuma. While I had my eyes closed, I would have visions - all of Nature.
I hope to have Him in my home once again.

12 Likes

I prepare mescaline with the wachuma/san pedro/trichocerus and save the bitterness…

More than 50 times I have taken mescaline hcl and I can say that it is the best drug known to me, after cannabis…

but I haven’t eaten peyote yet… and I have more than 25 peyotes.

Now that the adult peyotes are starting to grow children, I will have to go to Wirikuta one day…

Greetings to the Huichol peoples

8 Likes

I love that video - thank you
Im off to find the whole thing

I’ve journeyed a bit in the highland desert of Norcal (Napa/Sonoma, and Lake County) where it gets to be almost 120 degrees for about two months straight.
Its interesting, you’ll be sweating your balls off in the day at 120 degrees, but shivering at night when its 98-100 degrees.
My first summer in this environment was in an isolated are of Napa on the last ridge of the mountains before it opens up to Sacramento’s flatlands. It was a jungle of Laurel trees. Everyday, raptors would dive-bomb down the slop of the mountain and the sounds they make breaking the wind that fast were a rare treat. At night, the Bear and her cubs would come into camp and stay at the perimeter - causing no damage (even when she climbed her upper torso into my car to fish around for food scraps). The skunks would come out as a flood and chill with me, some even trying to climb up onto my lap as I ate dinner. BTW, skunks are cute as fuck. I never got sprayed.
The week of rattlesnake spawning was terrifying, I will say. The ground basically swam with thousands(it seemed like) of baby rattlesnakes that can kill you with one misplaced footstep.
Then in lake county, tripping on mushrooms, the land spoke to me and welcomed me to do my thing there and to have peace from the wildlife as I slept. Each evening, Peacocks would come down the mountaintop to find their oaktrees to perch on and do their mating calls. Peahens would gather, then the peackock would splay his feathers and do his dance. Turkeys would forage as a dozen or two dozen person group - you could see mothers and aunts guiding along their children, calling back and forth to prevent stragglers.

One time, I got stung by bees - Im allergic. So I got an epipen from a neighbor. The adrenaline rush was intense, so I microdosed some mushrooms and used the energy to hike the peak of the mountain. I came across an old oak tree on the summit that had burned. I put my hand on the roasted bark, and as it broke away it revealed a beautiful healthy wood underneath. I cried and smiled.

9 Likes

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade :rofl:

DISCLAIMER: As a “responsible” adult I would advise seeking medical attention when at risk for anaphylaxis.

11 Likes
4 Likes