Lophophora's Peyote

Look what the cat knocked over

Just kidding. I don’t have a cat but I did accidentally unearth this cactus cutting while gardening.

To my delight I noticed this stubborn cactus is starting to grow roots, or at least one root. After five arduous months and two gruelling weeks my patience has been rewarded.

I have gently restored the cutting to it’s station in the soil for the time being. It’s critical at this juncture that I continue to do absolutely nothing to ensure the survival of the cactus.

17 Likes

Never thought I’d be cheering for the shriveled up head of a cactus shooting out a single root after over 5 months. It’s the hero of the story :joy:

13 Likes

We’ve come a long way from that cold day in January.

While the cactus maintains it’s position of stoic indifference, I can assure you that your support makes all the difference in the world.

At this point I’m not entirely sure the IBA rooting powder made much of a contribution towards accelerating root development… Or maybe it did? Does this stuff have a shelf life? No matter.

14 Likes

One month elapses…

Here we have this season’s outdoor selection, one month later and one month bigger. No water, no effort, just sun and rain.

New growth is visible originating between the ribs, notice the light green contrasting with the subtle purple blush around the areoles.

The cactus I suspected of lagging due to sunburn (left middle in the group shot) appears to be getting along swimmingly in the harsh outdoor conditions. In person it even looks a tad etoliated, perhaps trying to outgrow it’s former self.

By comparison the cactus in the bottom right of the group photo looks angry. The sunburn is readily apparent on the areoles with minimal new green growth between the ribs. Whether or not this cactus will flourish depends on it’s will to live.

Who knows, that little cactus could be cooking up a whole cocktail of alkaloids as revenge against any creature daring enough to disturb it’s peace.

20 Likes

I love watching these babies grow.

5 Likes

This is a thread I wouldn’t have stumbled on on any ordinary day. I guess that makes today a special day. Wish I had likes to share but nope :roll_eyes: thankyou very kindly for the education. Some lovely looking cacti here :green_heart::100:

6 Likes

Thank you for the kind words, nice to know I brightened someone’s day :pray:

Here’s a nice surprise I spotted last night:

And here are all the shriveled flowers that snuck past me, tucked away in those tufts.

20 Likes

You traumatized my night. After reading the word “areoles” twice on your last post, I had a weird dream, She-Hulk was in it and she had peyote breasts! Probably my mind subconsciously seen “areoles” and connected it with “areolas” :rofl::rofl::rofl:

11 Likes

You don’t want to see me when I’m turned on, rwraaghhh!

6 Likes

Are you male or female lophophora. I got the impression a female

2 Likes

I hope you’re not coming on to me because I’m all man, baby.

6 Likes

No sweetheart I’m definitely not. It’s just the cactus flower profile pic and the way you write. Is ABIT feminine bro :rofl: to each their own and all that. And I’m more than happy with the Mrs. Don’t need to be chasing anything else :100:

4 Likes

Twenty days later and this flower has since bloomed and shriveled, now just a dried husk reminiscent of it’s former self.

Whether or not this endeavor will be fruitful is out of my hands- and I mean this as literally as possible as I did nothing to help pollenate this flower.

It’s not that I don’t care, I was just being lazy.

Behold my most recent blossoms, looking a little worse for wear. In this case I wish I had taken some pictures prior to pounding those pistils with a cotton swab.

I love the symmetry of the pups around the center button. The fuzz too, can’t go wrong there.

If we’re talking wishes I also wish these pictures were in better focus. Better luck next year I guess or however long it takes for them to flower, I’m not too sure.

The good news is that I’m patient, I can wait.

15 Likes

looks killer dude :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

4 Likes

Been trying to get these yote seeds in the usa for decades and it never pans out…
Religious sacrament, and still no luck wth you get these ? :smiley:

4 Likes

Can’t vouch for him cause I have no experience but there is someone called cactus_planter on IG that offers seeds and plants

6 Likes

The internet :rofl:

Here I figured USA was part of the plant’s native range. If anything I should be asking you.

8 Likes

I definitely should have looked 35 years ago when I wandered around the desert for 2 years
There were many things left by the indians I did find, arrow heads, spear points, flint knives, rock paintings. Came across a few people although the language barrier was a small issue we used gestures and pictures charades etc to communicate. The road runner, coyote, wild turkeys. mule deer, scorpions, armadillo,there were many things I did notice prickly pear cactus…unfortunately no peyote. Mushrooms in florida were easy to find in comparison

Geographic distribution of Lophophora williamsii (peyote). Note that this is primarily a Mexican species, with over 80% of the land area in its geographic range in Mexican territory. Curiously, in Texas (the only U.S. state where the peyote occurs naturally) the plant is restricted to a narrow strip of land that to a large extent follows the Rio Grande.

I do have some cherry tomato seeds from Ciudad Victoria still :slight_smile:
It was a days walk to the rio grande from where I stayed most nights
My friends down there have a airstrip maybe we fly in for a visit and see what can be found, since its endangered we would have to replace what is borrowed I imagine
how many sub species are there?

8 Likes

W.W.C.C.D.?

(What Would Carlos Castenada Do?)

Continue wandering!

8 Likes

Last week or maybe two weeks ago we had some really heavy rains. Around that same time my wife tells me

“Your cactuses outside are floating in water. Will they be alright?”

“Oh yeah, probably.”

Today I got around to checking on them. Yep, just fine.

I previously had them in a tray with ample drainage but recently moved them to a smaller tray. By now it appears the standing water has evaporated although the medium is still plenty wet.

Even the cactus that looked really angry is showing signs of growth. Isn’t that lovely?

I have no real clue who this guy was beyond an author of books which I have never read. I just liked the post because I appreciated the discourse.

For the record my cactus garden is without any ideology, prejudice, or purpose beyond the fact that I think they are neat looking. :grin::pray:

Bonus round!

Here’s the cactus from the first post in this thread. Might need a bit more dirt, otherwise looking good!

12 Likes