Lophophora's Peyote

Welcome to my peyote garden.

There are lots of sacred cacti species, but those cacti are not peyote. Even false peyote which share the same squat physique as lophophora don’t possess the charm or beauty of these desert dwellers. Their characteristic lazy looking ribs adorned with fluff, the subtle purple hues of their flesh, and beautiful pink flowers truly elevate these plants to a class all their own.

These amazing plants are not without controversy. Not only have they been outlawed in much of their native habitat, their very existence has been threatened to the point that they are deemed a vulnerable species. Peyote are also known to contain substances banned in many countries, and even appear in the Canada Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

Schedule III, Section 17
Mescaline (3,4,5–trimethoxybenzeneethanamine) and any salt thereof, but not peyote (lophophora)

How could such an innocent and unassuming looking plant cause so much trouble? Peyote’s reputation has not been aided by misrepresentation in television and media. Take this quote from the popular film Zoolander:

So I’m rappelling down Mount Vesuvius when suddenly I slip, and I start to fall. Just falling, ahh, ahh. I’ll never forget the terror. When suddenly I realize, “Holy shit, Hansel, haven’t you been smoking peyote for six straight days and couldn’t some of this maybe be in your mind?”

Perhaps the mystique surrounding these plants only lends itself to their allure. Given the scarcity of these cacti and their harsh remote environment most people don’t get to experience the charm of these plants first hand.

Hopefully this topic can help lift the veil of confusion surrounding this wonderful species and showcase their beauty.

Have you ever seen a peyote fruit before? They’re sweet and tasty but there isn’t much to savour given their size. This fruit grew from a self-pollenated flower confirming it as a true Lophophora Williamsii.

If your identical twin began to burst out of your neck tomorrow morning what do you think you would say to them once they had emerged? You might be initially furious, then again you might both decide to make killer shadow puppets for the remainder of the afternoon.

This cactus was growing long for a while and looked really smooth where the pup emerged. I figured it was just etoliation until this beast came tearing through the areole.

This next addition is as much testament to the hardiness of these amazing plants as it is embarassing. Behold- I found this long forgotten cactus yesterday covered in cobwebs on a windowsill in the basement. This peyote has not been watered in at least three years, it must have survived off of sunlight and ambient dank. The flesh is surprisingly firm for such an emaciated looking cactus. Some people boast that their plants are ‘hard grown’ but this one is a true survivor. With a little bit of water and love it should have the eye of the tiger in no time.

77 Likes

I always wanted to know about these plants!
:star_struck: :+1:
I’m front and center for this…

Cheers
G

8 Likes

I love Peyote, can’t miss this. Absolutely stunning and beautiful descriptions too.

3 Likes

I’ve never even thought to look up what Peyote looks like… Crazy that thing survived for so long without water. They’re psychedelic right? What makes them this way?

4 Likes

Really cool, happily pulling up a chair.

4 Likes

The psychoactivity of many cactus species is on account of the alkaloids they contain; Mescaline, Anhalidine, Pellotine and dozens more are shared by lots of different cacti in varying quantities. The terrible flavour of psychoactive cacti is owed to these chemicals. I once read somewhere that the pure of heart are not dissuaded by the taste.

In fairness many cacti species taste awful, psychoactive or otherwise. Perhaps it serves as a defense mechanism against thirsty desert creatures, or maybe it’s just their idea of a practical joke.

The broad spectrum of alkaloids in many cacti are reported to have lots of effects beyond psychedelia. The Tarahumara people claim the Mammillaria micromeris cactus can grant prolonged life, give speed to runners, and provide clarity of thought. Opuntia cacti are widely consumed as part of a meal, and also for the relief of hangovers.

26 Likes

:joy::rofl::ok_hand:t3:

Hook me up.

Very fascinating stuff. Thank you for explaining all of that.

5 Likes

Turning the watch on for this. :eyes::+1:

:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

Very nice, will be following along. My uncle brought some back from New Mexico decades ago and most of my family grows it.

3 Likes

All I know, is that seeing that “button” makes me want to violently puke… and proceed to trip my ass off.

It’s been decades, but I’ll never forget the experience… I was hitchhiking to Seattle area and these guys had come form the desert with grocery bags full of buttons in the back seat of their car, headed for Portland. They invited me to stay over and enjoy some. We chopped them up fresh and blended them into milkshakes. It still couldn’t cut the terrible taste of them. It was hard to get a whole glass down, but it all came back up eventually.

That would have been '76 or '77. Very cool to see them fresh, again. Mean and green. peace

18 Likes

Sounds fun to grow but not eat.

5 Likes

Hey! Your uncle didn’t used to live in Portland did he? Haaaa! I think that’s where their’s had come from.

5 Likes

It is a experience. It’s crazy. @GMan That is exactly what you do it seems like the sicker you get the Trippier you get

6 Likes

I had it two times. It seems like I remember it lasted a couple of days. DMT is that the other one that one stronger. I was in a place south of Pueblo. I would never do it again. I do like salvia. I actually like mixing it with weed. It’s been a minute. You would be surprised that stuff grows everywhere. The Sage

6 Likes

Heh, that’s where I live now. Outside of Trinidad. 90 miles south of Pueblo.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a pet cactus :cactus: sitting in a window. Wife could put it next to her air plants those are some weird little plants.id name it pete lol

4 Likes

Nope, wrong side of the country.

Funny though, at the time he was living about 100 miles north of you now (and brought it 2000 miles home), and I’m about 100 miles west of you now.

2 Likes

how do you start the seeds?

3 Likes

No way small world

2 Likes

There’s some cool looking stuff down that way

2 Likes