Lost Civilizations: Before the known

Well, all the information in the world can not cut the ignorance of some people that is unable to question the things and do a little research on his own.

Also, googling is not the solution. Google and other search engines point to some places, ignoring others. I find this multiple times when researching scientific documents and some thesis…

question everything and finally take your own conclusions. If they are wrong, at least you also know the other options/ideas/hyphotesis. And knowledge doesn’t take place

3 Likes

At the risk of sounding overly imaginative, I can’t help but wonder if there wasn’t a small population of giants who ruled the antediluvian world. The lack of remains could have meant they cremated their dead instead of burying them.
That’s pure conjecture, so please don’t quote me on that.

3 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06557-9
hominin creativity is amazing and the preservation of any piece of our past is a miracle, especially in an area like this. the conditions have to tick a few boxes for proper preservation. But we are lucky and smart enough to keep finding amazing evidence of the past and our ancestor’s genius

1 Like

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature18291.epdf?referrer_access_token=eqj11URjGA08PT66CBVbQ9RgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0OttyGMOfP1Om-pa6CbhPDafHqvpWqeFWaVbYrQ8MnttskWtgct1j1oT7R9s0gRLUS1FUHdMyk5y_TBE5cTrCbg55d31FGCsbHvunSnVQuc26ExJE8BuI2WR9aAmJUzK_wysepolyTRMdgDzp202iwcdrVX0ztq1IA0clXRZnif1WOmbhDqUWgpJdmkFoKudfyRwN-AFFlxJjmpEVsHtxJ6yNGWAxNz_u-NBCaxDVZMOw%3D%3D&tracking_referrer=arstechnica.com

Very little is known about Neanderthal cultures1, particularly early ones. Other than lithic implements and exceptional bone tools2, very few artefacts have been preserved. While those that do remain include red and black pigments3 and burial sites4, these indications of modernity are extremely sparse and few have been precisely dated, thus greatly limiting our knowledge of these predecessors of modern humans 5. Here we report the dating of annular constructions made of broken stalagmites found deep in Bruniquel Cave in southwest France. The regular geometry of the stalagmite circles, the arrangement of broken stalagmites and several traces of fire demonstrate the anthropogenic origin of these constructions. Uranium-series dating of stalagmite regrowths on the structures and on burnt bone, combined with the dating of stalagmite tips in the structures, give a reliable and replicated age of 176.5 thousand years (±2.1 thousand years), making these edifices among the oldest known well-dated constructions made by humans. Their presence at 336 metres from the entrance of the cave indicates that humans from this period had already mastered the underground environment, which can be considered a major step in human modernity.

3 Likes
3 Likes

What the future has in store

1 Like

Interesting that in one monument aligns with the equinoxes/solstices…or at least what they would have been about 16000 years ago. I’ve lived in Peru, and have seen many of these megaliths. Macchu Picchu is the most well-known, but Sacsayhuaman is more impressive to me. How the builders cut and placed, with laser precision, blocks that weighed scores, if not hundreds of tons.

5 Likes

Curious as to what people think about the newest Joe Rogan episode where he had on Graham Handcock and Flint Dibble?
They got into a debate to discuss the credibility and evidence for Grahams hypothesis that there was an advanced civilization that had transoceanic sailing capabilities 12000 years ago and spread across the globe until they were victims of an environmental cataclysm in the younger dryas period. The idea is they then disseminated into different cultures around the world and spread ideas of agriculture, architecture and other advanced ideas and helped people transition from hunter gatherer to more sedentary societies.

I think that Handcock really had a hard time refuting Dibble, to the point he resorted to personal attacks and discussing how the media portrayed him as a result of backlash from archaeological researchers and associations, as well as the general media

2 Likes

I thought it was excellent. Dibble made excellent points, Graham had a couple small points with big implications. I found myself smarter than when I started the episode. To be clear, I’ve always been a huge Hancock fan.

He paints a beautiful picture with words and ideas that tend to get taken to extreme conclusions. He’s been wrong before, and while he doesn’t really talk about his erroneous theories, he has acknowledged when he’s been proven wrong.

Dibble held his own, but he would have come out better if he kept a level head. Both men would have, but this being JRE, I imagine most folks listening were already biased towards Graham even with his ad hominem approach to these debates.

3 Likes

I think Graham’s position is kinda indefensible from the start, because it’s clear and he even admits to it, that there is no evidence for his theories that are currently known, and the body of established info seems to indicate that the classical timelines set up are open to revisions, but more largely just becoming more and more refined as we look at the total data and reinforces what was previously thought.

Archaeology works from the known to the unknown and that data is going to be refined as we go, that was a strong thing Flint said that showed how Graham’s conspiratorial idea of big archaeology is kinda baseless. Why wouldn’t a new archaeologist want to disprove old theories with new data and not only portray the truth, but become very famous and popular in the community for their work? The ideas about the Clovis being the first people of the americas seems to be incorrect, but at the time it was developed, it held merit until we found more contrary evidence and there was a gap in the info people sought to fill and did. Its about developing knowledge and not making assumptions based on sexy theories like lost civilizations.

How much of Eastern Asia or all of North America has been dug up? hardly anything!

Graham has a great ability to create a narrative for what if sort of thought experiments, but he seems pretty old school and out of touch with how archaeology is currently done and what the intention is. He really came off weak and uninformed

Dibble definitely did come off as aggressive and condescending, but after the personal attacks from Graham (which got quite childish), it makes sense why he would be so condescending after the third attack.

Hopefully this starts a new phase of the joe rogan podcast where he has historians and archaeologists and geologists, biologists etc on to discuss things and gets away from the mma and politics stuff. go back to old school joe rogan!

1 Like

I would love to see more discussions like this in the future. I did enjoy that both sides were allowed to express their arguments and joe did a good job of monitoring the debate and keeping on track

I don’t have to watch that to know that there will be intense cherry picking. So much so that shoes and a hat may be required for extended periods and possibly gloves.

2 Likes

Otherwise they’d get caught red handed.

3 Likes

I think if they both presented their thesis up front, it would have kept things consise. Highschool debate style.

Graham: More work needs to be done in the field of archeology, (list of things that don’t add up to him), and I don’t like being labeled a white supremacist.

Dibble: The science is conflicting, Graham cherry picks historical records to fit hit narrative, and there is no inherent bias against Grahams narrative beyond the scientific and historical records that directly conflict with it.

And then they could go point by point from there instead of drifting in and out of topics and personal attacks.

Side note: The JRE you and I miss has been gone longer than it lasted. It’s the nature of things. I look forward to the interesting episodes, but they’re fewer and far between, and that’s okay.

2 Likes

Seven. Olive garden

AWAKWN MY THREAD!!! AWAKEN!!!

5 Likes

5 Likes

Karhan Tepe is also fascinating, full of unique artifacts. The DOGUS Group is taking steps to control the excavations at Gobekli Tepe. That could mean one group controlling all the findings at that site.

4 Likes

That site is amazing!! Awsome pic
Is it just me or does that look like a t rex in the pic?

Have you watched the netflix series with graham hancock?

Theres a theory in the series that inside gobleki tepe there is illustrated a warning about the great flood being caused by a meteor that hit earth, and it happened when earth passes through a certain astroid field. And its theorized from some guy whos been studying the carvings at gobleki tepe that its a warning to watch the sky and be ready when earth passes through said astroid belt. He goes through and shows his theory with the carvings and what he thinks they mean. I thought it was pretty wild and made some sense.

Also love those crazy caves in turkey, Derinkuyu underground city that could house like 20 000 people for who knows how long without having to venture out of the caves. Had vents for cooking axes to water and they apparently had livestock as well.

Amazing stuff. I hope they find more awsome stuff from the past, truly fascinating.

4 Likes

I found my people !!!

5 Likes