MadScientist's 3rd Annual 16oz Cup Competition šŸ

That thing is still amazing me mate. What gets me is you look at the plant and think ahh thatā€™s nice then you see the roots and itā€™s like shit they look so dark but itā€™s doing so well :thinking:

3 Likes

Yeah I most definitely know what you are saying, the black colour would be my one issue with fulvic and kelp, I kinda wash them with clean water every now and then just so I can check they are healthy. I used to use humic as well, amazing stuff but it just ends up like black sludge and gets everywhere, so thatā€™s one just for the dirt I think.
The way I try to tell is to check itā€™s producing constantly finer feeder roots, when things arenā€™t going well, they seem to die off in the finer roots, and for me thatā€™s the first red flag that I should get off my ass and do something lol. I absolutely swear by sprinkling mychoriza on the roots, itā€™s chalk and cheese the difference. Also I guess the fact that I walk out the room for 3 hours and come back and itā€™s noticeably grown must mean itā€™s reasonably happy :joy:

5 Likes

Decided to switch it upā€¦boooringā€¦Ive been handwatering everything lol. I enjoy it. Itā€™s about what I expected. The most exciting thing since watching paint dry. Big bud thatā€™s how youā€™re gonna do us with a cash crop strain lol. Are you doping your plants too? Weā€™re gonna need samples from the contestants. I demand a recount or somethingā€¦uhhh my plants not doing good because of Trumpā€¦lets see here. All of your picture are scaled up red painted pales that emulate solo cups. Iā€™ll have more excuses for when I lose. Wait wait. Yā€™all been fuckin with the Russians? Iā€™m really diggin here. :rofl:

Wowā€¦:-1:

Yā€™all have a good one. Be safe.
-J

7 Likes

Good news bad news. I had to leave town 2 weeks ago and my pump was acting up so I have to withdraw from the competition. Not that these are contenders anyway you all have some beautiful plants and some mad skills :+1: it was fun being a part of this for a bit and thank you @MadScientist for putting this together. I hope to play again!

I didnā€™t want to see them die while I was gone so I threw them in a 3 gallon and put them with my outdoor plants.
Good news is they made it while I was away.

14 Likes

Am sure liking the look of that red poison dude, that looks like it would be a cracker in a decent amount of dirt, and not overly dense by the looks, which in my part of the world for outdoors spells near certain slimy black doom. Whatā€™s she smell like?

3 Likes

The smell is wonderful @slain! Really sweet, maybe citrus and berry. This one is staying in the rotation for the beauty and the smells alone. Itā€™s very unique to me.

2 Likes

@Hashtree howā€™s it go in bro? I lost a RP. Finally got one popped. Looking good. Thank goodness you stuffed them plants in bigger pots. They faired well. Especially in this heat. My tomatoes have taken a beating. My friggin acā€™s are struggling. Glad to see you back. Before I pop a shit ton more autos, Iā€™m gonna make a move to preserve them.

Are there any repercussions with continuing to self a particular strain over and over. Would it continue to be s1 and further down? Just asking. Better for breeders thread. Have a good one bud.
-J

4 Likes

Reminds me of a quote from @Mr.Sparkle

According to Skunkman Sam on Hash Church, after about three generations the plants were completely fucked up.

6 Likes

Now that ive stopped being a complete and total ass hole you get me. :blush: Iā€™m trying to keep it fresh. @ReikoX and @slain really do this. Iā€™m deffinitely learning from the best. Iā€™ll shut up all day and listen.

@slain has the technical knowledge. Heā€™s so friggin smart. I think he sees a glimmer of hope in me or he wouldnā€™t even waste his time. No one really will. I consider myself a baby when it comes to growing. Iā€™m very good at taking constructive criticism as long as itā€™s factual.

You guys have it dialed in semi if not all automated. Thatā€™s nice for when you have to work and be gone. I miss being able to have an outdoor crop and only have to visit it a few times unless itā€™s been a summer like this. Later Iā€™m blabbling

6 Likes

You would be surprised what can be learned here, your certainly watching the right people. Do not beat yourself up man, we all are who we are, just be yourself, ā€¦well, lol, MAYBE YOU should chill a bit more, lol,

The folks that have it ā€œdialed inā€ took many attempts to get there, it is a learning process. Just look at what you have learned since being here!!!

Your posts are even getting betterā€¦i can understand 1/2 of them nowā€¦

Your active, WANT to learn, and Like the plantā€¦give it a minute, you WILL get there bro!!!

13 Likes

Exactly, I couldnā€™t agree more. Iā€™m so glad I found overgrow the people here actually help and have knowledge without being dicks about shit. Truthfully this is first page I open anytime I go online now lol.

Also cut the one divyder 2 nights ago, heres my "summer harvest so far haha

8 Likes

It is a different mentality here. The average age of the users is older than most other sites too, and they do not play kiddie gamesā€¦WELL< THEY DO, but it is confined to the Shark Tankā€¦a place I SHALL NOT VISIT again. Last time I did I got a time outā€¦too old and set in my ways to have an argument that does not go south :persevere:

Is that 1.4 gramsā€¦she is a BEAST :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Iā€™m not gonna lie to you I was spinning out of control, and I tend to take a lot of my anger out on people who just are short with me like Iā€™m short with them. But it keeps a Perpetual state of anger which is not good for anybody is not healthy to be angry all the time for no reason.

Iā€™m just glad that I chilled out everything is good and Iā€™m actually learning because I have a long way to go and I know that but Iā€™ll get there nothingā€™s going to come easy and nothing comes overnight things happen crops are going to mold on me probably Iā€™m probably going to get passed and some of them but Iā€™m just going to keep pushing forward through it. Thanks bro I appreciate the kind words. Have a good one.

One day Iā€™ll be able to grow like I want to and trade from neighbor to neighbor and look after the older heads that showed us. These guys come by and I can send an home with good meds. Thatā€™s way later, but I keep being persistent at my dream. Hard work as well. :call_me_hand:

9 Likes

Got that right! If I had a dollar for every plant that died, Honestly, I am 47 and have been growing in some form since I was 14, and I listen to obviously knowledgeable people such as are found right here on OG. Thatā€™s all, I just treat weed like another part of my veggie garden, no more mystery to it than my tomato plants lol.

This is the first grow forum I have ever bothered to join, as far as I can tell all the other ones are full of aggro kids who think they know everything and couldnā€™t hold a civilised discussion if their life depended on it. The signal to noise ratio in forums like that just isnā€™t worth the stress of dealing with, and most of the ā€˜knowelgeā€™ seems to be heresay and voodoo.
Honestly people get so precious/serious about it, when really all we are talking about is friggin ditch weed! All that voodoo and cast in concrete stoners lore shits me tbh, itā€™s just a case of try, try and try again, sooner or late you run out of ways to get it wrong, and then you end up ā€˜dialed inā€™. People just gotta be kind to themselves and each other and share the love of this amazing plant!

10 Likes

Agree! Been doing this since the mid 1970ā€™s, STILL LEARN new shit to this day!!! In FACT, because I have always grown in Hydro setups, or Hempy Buckets, or bottom feeding systems, I NEVER learned how to CORRECTLY water a plant. Freaking grow rule # 1ā€¦LMAO!!! Not until 3 weeks ago or so, did I LEARN to water properly.

So, it is an ongoing knowledge you acquire by DOING it over n over, and listening to those who do it better than you.

9 Likes

Good old Sam the Skunkman lol, now that is a name I have not heard in a very long time!

This is a tricky question, some people have a thing against selfing, thinking itā€™s some kind of engineered frankenweed,
as an engineer, I donā€™s see it this way, but itā€™s not without itā€™s potential problems, for the most part what I have found is that you have to be careful if you are selfing for any kind of breeding program with a purpose, i.e. you are not just pollen chucking and hoping. This is because it can be easy to let non desirable recessive traits end up as dominant in your breeding line so you need to be a bit mindful of what you are selfing and be prepared to throw out an entire generation if seeds if stuff gets funky. So this year I selfed some Malawi/Panama and out of these seeds there were are number of traits that popped up, whorled ataxy, the other was two seedlings popping out of the one seed. Now where stuff can get funky is if I either deliberately or without realising, chose one of the plants with these traits and selfed it, chances are this trait may then become dominant, and the entire ā€˜lineā€™ can be corrupted by stuff you donā€™t want, of course this can also go the other way, where non dominant but desirable traits can become dominant but that;s another discussion. Honestly though fuck the rules, just have a crack at it and see what happens right?

Someone with more knowledge than me correct me if I am wrong but every generation is a new ā€˜Sā€™, so my 16oz entry is an S4, so crossed over itā€™s own offspring over 4 generations to try to settle some of the characteristics I wanted, and well at S4 it still seems to be doing all the stuff that weed plants normally do right?

3 Likes

Your right some people donā€™t have a slight understanding of dominant and recessive traits. Amen brother. Choose wisely or you might spend years mindlessly making a completely shitty set of genes. :+1:

4 Likes

Yeah Sensi Seed Bank thatā€™s called :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Are we allowed to pull our rootball out of the cup to inspect it for root health if we dont alter nothing n drop right back in. ? And post root pic

3 Likes

Yes absolutely mate.
You can alter it too as long as it still fits in the cup.

2 Likes