MadScientist's 3rd Annual 16oz Cup Competition šŸ

I see this with GG4 S1 all the time, at least 50% of them herm IME. Yet everyone seems to think the S1 is like a clone, I dont get that oneā€¦

5 Likes

lol well to be fair when I first started doing my own fems, I did expect more uniformity faster than I got it!
Even the S4 I am doing for this 16oz currently has an intense tangerine aroma similar to Tangie, which is sort of out of nowhere when normally itā€™s much more sweet pina collada. People get obsessed about absolute homogeneous IBLā€™s and I while of course I can see the point of this from a breeders perspective, I personally donā€™t mind some pheotypical variation to keep things a bit interesting.

Interesting RE GG4, I had one decent cut of it and didnā€™t get around to selfing it, so I just crossed my super skunk/big bud over it instead, sounds like it was just as well! I would normally cull anything with even slight tendencies to throw balls, I am currently tossing up whether to bother with a 9lb hammer for this same reason, awesome smoke, hate those random nannas.

6 Likes

Shes hungry but kickin still roots ok. Dry but ok.

if these are in order tge last pic is the bigger solo cup.

9 Likes

Nope. Second pic is the big one. Im still liking the smaller one in the last pic. . Little beast coming soon.

2 Likes

If you chose the best S1 and selfed her, and then the best S2 and selfed her, again and again, you would end up at S4.
If you continued using the original motherplant for each generation, your first generation is S1, but then it would continue as bx1, bx2, bx3, which is what is sounds like you did.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks! Yep this is what I do. So both are means by which to stabilise characteristics you are looking for though? Is either way preferable or faster? Any proā€™s or conā€™s?

1 Like

@slain Exactly. Crossing two different plants yields the most variability, selfing tightens the genepool the most, and backcrossing is a kind of happy medium. I always encourage keeping the genepool as large as possible in all the traits that donā€™t matter, but I donā€™t have enough real world experience to even feign expertise, so hereā€™s a thought experiment.

In the first generation, we have a motherplant that holds a trait we want and if we cross her to a sibling, we have to grow out the babies to figure out if the father also held that trait. If he didnā€™t, we might have to go back and pick a different male and try again. If we S1 her we already know both parents hold the trait weā€™re looking for, so the offspring is likely to show that trait, too. But all of the other genes are the same as well, good and bad, and we will be forced to produce feminized seeds from there on out.

So say we chose to self her, than the second generation we can inbreed sisters; or we can backcross the best individual back to our mother plant; or we can self the best S1.
Inbreeding sisters is good because we can identify the trait we want in two different plants and keep all the unimportant genes more variable;
Backcrossing the best female is good if we seen too much variation in the first cross, or if we only found 1 female that matched the mother;
Selfing a second time would be useful if we only found 1 female with the trait we want, and we lost access to the mother plant.

By the third generation, if we were to self the plants again, to S4 Iā€™d expect something negative to start showing up. Not basing that on anything, but thatā€™s a lot of high-intensity inbreeding. :joy: Thereā€™s been examples of heavy selfing in the clone-only markets. Lots of shitty GG4s and so on as a direct result.

4 Likes

I killed a gg4 auto. I didnā€™t make it past jump. @ReikoX who was explaining to me that gg4 has a tendency to go hermaphrodite. It was a fastbuds freebie anyway. I just hate to see a seed go down before it even has a chance. Now this sour gorilla that Iā€™ve been smoking is awesome so I do enjoy a gorilla glue.

@Jetdro Iā€™m 34ā€¦I know I know. I donā€™t know how to water a plant properly Iā€™m not going to lie to you. Iā€™ve been realizing that I was gun-shy at the range. I was afraid to put water on my plant LOL. And I still donā€™t know how to properly fertilize my plants I add fertilizer once a week a little less than the recommended dose. I just donā€™t want to Scorch or damaged my plants in flowering.

@slain Iā€™ve been wanting to ask for a while but I was wondering what made gelato have that Tangerine smell and taste itā€™s so thick but the smoke comes out so smooth Iā€™ve never had a strain like gelato. Has anyone grown this strain? Do you have a good site you would recommend for the future cuz Iā€™m definitely trying to grow at least one run of gelato? Seedbank? I guess what Iā€™m saying is I love that Tangerine taste is Tangie a strain and does it taste beautiful like that? I takes me a second to fully grasp things. But me and my friend were really Blown Away by its overall profile.

@rooted youā€™re looking good bro just keep feeding them weā€™ll see how they turn out mine were on the same tip I slit a couple of just to take a Peak theyā€™re all swirling. Iā€™m doing a two-time a day water and now any more than that for me itā€™s just pointless thatā€™s all there intaking. I got to run the soil test I got the soil in the cops and still havenā€™t used it waiting for my Papa to show up today Iā€™m so excited to see my dad dude I got to run I shall be back donā€™t talk about me behind my back fuckers! :wink:

2 Likes

This is school for me I do spend a lot of time on this site. Motr has so much going on and Sebring. There saints :blush:.Iā€™d love one day if we could have a convention when things settle down and actually meet up that would be cool. Until then I had to stay my ass out of trouble be a good little boy.

@Deadinside88 itā€™s cool to see the Harvest on anything bro Iā€™m glad you got yourself some smoke. This is the first sight I always bring up and I always check to make sure nothing crazy is going on everybodyā€™s all right. Itā€™s kind of like a second family without having to say is my second family. Thatā€™s how I feel about it anyway I get treated worse by my actual family. LOL. Not to say that anybody treats me bad here. have a good one bro keep the pics coming

4 Likes

I am pretty sure that most the citrus/tangerine smell is from the Limonene terpene, but also Caryophyllene, Pinene and Humulene terpene ratios will contribute I think. I have no experience with Gelato unfortunately, but from what I have read there is a million different phenos of it so it would probably require a bit of a hunt to get the tangerine profile you are looking for. I am wishing I had a cut of the 16 oz plant now!

Tangie is definitely a strain, mostly sativa, and can get leggy indoors. I think itā€™s probably won more cups that just about any other strain.If you ever get a chance to try Crocketts tangie/sour diesel the amount of stink it makes is off the planet. Too much for me trying to fly under the radar, itā€™s unnerving when you can smell it out on the street lol. I also appreciate that thick oily profile but this is missing in Tangie, maybe a cross with a good Romulan would give you that?

AS it happens I just popped a bunch of Tangie and Tangie/Lime Haze beans in to see if I can find a good pheno for this years outdoor run. I am looking for the tangie aroma but more beef in the potency and also plant/bud structure, fingers crossed one turns up!

Yes, that pretty much why I do it the way I am, like you I figure that repeatedly selfing just has to lead to problems down the road. All that sex with itself canā€™t be healthy :grin:

Ha, well man I definitely canā€™t claim to have military discipline when it comes to making seeds but I more or less do ALL of these as needs be. The best bit for me is getting a particular trait/s you want while leaving the others behind, itā€™s really satisfying to have a plant that has the structure and vigour you have selected for, and the aroma/potency and say finish times from elsewhere. The one I am using it this is a good example of that , it is has branching and productivity of big bud, the flowers look can very similar to super skunk in appearance while potency and aroma and taste have largely come from the OG Kush side with some real fruitiness also from the SS.

4 Likes

There yo go brother itā€™s gelato 33. A company called verano runs that cut here itā€™s beautiful. Tastes like sweet tangerines. Super smooth. Deffinitely have to try it. Iā€™m sure your crosses are all dope. If the NL Iā€™m running is decent. I may hit it with something cool. Thatā€™s exciting to think aboutā€¦

Thanks for your time. I know your busy You still find the time to grow super crazy plants. :call_me_hand:
Hereā€™s my little frosty cup. I was able to snatch a little clone. When I saw how loaded it is with trichromes I grabbed and immature lower branch which took. Got cloning down. Yay. Que the minions.

4 Likes

Of course. Thereā€™s no ā€˜right wayā€™ to do it, thereā€™s only ā€˜whatā€™s the best option for this situationā€™

4 Likes

Thanks man, and yeah for sure about better to at least have a small harvest than none at all. Just been bummed cuz I lost my 2 big ones I had in flower due to heat and shit. And same about OG being first page I open in browser.

3 Likes

I can understand that bro. I canā€™t figure out whatā€™s affecting my larger plants Iā€™m running soil tests. Iā€™m bout to update the soil results and see if I canā€™t get the buds to beef up. Theyā€™re flowering so theyā€™re in death mode. I know leaves fade but mine look crazy lol.

1 Like

Updat on my doc holiday not much smell coming from them.

How many of us are still in it? Itā€™s hard to keep up lol

20 Likes

Thereā€™s you, @rooted @slain @Baltimore @ReikoX @HappyHemper not sure about anyone else. Probably have missed somebody off the list though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Just wanted to say that you are doing incredible things in what is basically cup of Latte in Starbucks :smiley: ā€¦

12 Likes

Thanks for having us sir. Always a pleasure
Have a good one.
-J

4 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m still in it. They are cannibalizing their lower leaves pretty hard right now. They are what, 32 days flowering?

21 Likes

Iā€™m starting to see the same @ReikoX; plus a bit of tip burn on mine. Still stacking though.

20 Likes