Mail interception

I did, and I grew them out and really enjoyed smoking it. I still have seeds from it, it was in a batch where Katsu’s bubba hermed on me. But these were from a trade, so that’s all irrelevant-- I don’t buy commercial seeds any more.

4 Likes

Def had my share of those, had to send to a friend in EU then he sent to me which was kinda some work. Ended up working better that way.

1 Like

Yup. Customs grabs my shit all the time. Mostly they confiscate seeds from regular legal plants. They say THEY are not smart enough to know what it is so they throw it in the trash and 4 months later send me a letter. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

And crazy invasive species that’ll take over… I had to deal with DFO when looking at importing a ton of tilapia, they told me it was the same for plants and anything else coming in, they need to make sure it won’t get into the wild and take over native species.

3 Likes

Even in California. Didn’t expect that

Also thought that international shipping was ok

2 Likes

Gotten a couple of them. It was real scary back when it was illegal in my state but nothing ever came from it. Such a joke.

2 Likes

Does USPS send a letter for mail intercepted domestically? I’m waiting on at least 5 envelopes that were all sent over three weeks ago (one was sent almost two months ago). All from reliable members. Three envelopes are sent from within the USA, the other two are international. Haven’t received a notice for any of them. Other members received their envelopes from the same batches of outgoing mail as mine that went missing.

And this isn’t even counting another that was already re-sent with tracking. So now I realize there are minimum 6 envelopes that were sent to me over three weeks ago and never arrived. Something’s up. This is too high of a rate for them to all be delayed.

I feel my blood pressure rise every day after checking my mailbox.

6 Likes

I don’t think its restricted at all in the states. Farm act made seeds legal. I could be wrong but its also usps, they lose alot of mail and alot gets stolen on the inside unfortunately. I’m still waiting on at least 10 and some are over a month late. Probably just gone.

Unfortunately they’re only legal to send from an entity that has a hemp license. And the package must include the proper paperwork showing the hemp license info :neutral_face: So that’s one reason I’ve been worrying myself that they were intercepted.

Orbital, I know that you & I have messaged about exchanging seeds. This delayed / lost crap situation is the main reason I’ve held off on it. I don’t want you to send something that might not make it here.

3 Likes

In all my research I’ve never heard that. There is conflicting data but according to the DEA its completely legal. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has recognised cannabis seeds as hemp as long as they don’t exceed the THC limit of 0.3%. This clarification makes them legal under the 2018 Farm Bill and it means that seeds can be shipped legally to anywhere in the country, which opens up a wide range of possibilities for the spreading of the genetic diversity of cannabis across the nation’s markets.

marijuana may currently be banned by the federal government, but the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has effectively recognised that the plant’s seeds are legal, regardless of how much THC they may end up producing when grown.

This means that cannabis growers can get their seeds from anywhere without having to worry about breaking federal law. Previously, and due to the federal ban, Cannabis seeds were restricted to the state where they were produced, so a variety bred and grown in one state couldn’t legally go beyond the limits of that state.

The DEA recently conducted a review of the federal statute in response to a query from attorney Shane Pennington, who inquired about the legality of cannabis seeds and cuttings, and tissue cultures or ‘other genetic material’ containing no more than 0.3% THC.

After the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp was excluded from the definition of marijuana in the Controlled Substances Act (CSA), which means that currently all parts of the Cannabis sativa L. plant are not controlled, but only as long as they don’t exceed 0.3% THC. I totally understand though, it can be stressful

6 Likes

USPS has their own rules governing the mailing of hemp products.

6 Likes

453.37 Hemp-based Products

For purposes of this section, “hemp” shall have the meaning provided under federal law, including Section 10113 of the Agricultural Improvement Act of 2018, Pub. L.115-334 (7 U.S.C. § 1639o), or any successor provision.

Hemp and hemp-based products, including cannabidiol (CBD) with the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) concentration of such hemp (or its derivatives) not exceeding a 0.3 percent limit are permitted to be mailed only when:

a. The mailer complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws (such as the Agricultural Act of 2014 and the Agricultural Improvement Act of 2018) pertaining to hemp production, processing, distribution, and sales; and

b. The mailer retains records establishing compliance with such laws, including laboratory test results, licenses, or compliance reports, for no less than 2 years after the date of mailing.

Source:

Publication 52 Revision: New Mailability Policy for Cannabis and Hemp-Related Products

(Emphasis added by me)

I interpret this to mean that the mailer must have a hemp license and can prove it. All others send at your own risk (no likely repercussions but technically it won’t follow these guidelines)

5 Likes

Also mailbox pirates look for birthday card style envelopes…many ship seeds in…to steal the birthday cash often tucked in them

8 Likes

Seeds are seeds, I’m no expert but I interpret that as hemp products, not seeds. You can purchase hemp seeds on Amazon. I’m not arguing, just my interpretation.

1 Like

The 2018 Farm Bill defines hemp as Cannabis sativa L. and “any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers,” with no more than a 0.3 percent concentration of THC.

Every state requires a hemp license to distribute hemp. License holders are required to retain testing records for 2 years.

Selling hemp seeds on Amazon would require the seller to maintain and retain these records. Some have QR codes that point to their license.

6 Likes

I mean theres that 0.3% thing again, seeds are under that… I’m sure there’s lots of articles we could copy and paste like I did, bottom line is the law is confusing for a reason, to fuck us, my point is fuck the government, needless to say they obviously can confiscate seeds if found, especially from out of country. They need to quit that shit but technically they can and will confiscate tomato seeds too. Its for our own good. Lol.

4 Likes

The 0.3% burden of proof is on the mailer (sender). Thus, the license requirement. If USPS doesn’t have a record of their license or it’s not included in the mailer, my guess is they have the option of destroying them. Pure speculation on my part.

7 Likes

I think its just seeds contain no thc so they fall out of the law. Thats why seed sellers can sell them as novelty items and cover their asses by saying that. If that were the case id think anything leaving any seed bank would be scrutinized. Who knows but I enjoy the conversation.

5 Likes

I think the main threat legaly is that “the man” would have your address and know you are gathering or sending seeds. That could result in a visit from your local police which would be a problem if you live in a “ no grow” state. Never have seeds sent to your “grow show” address. Always use a safe address. :rainbow:

7 Likes

Up here they sell smell proof bags at the post office :joy:

USPS can be very fast or very slow and there’s no way to know.

I got a customs nabbing form once. Nothing ever came of it.

And one time they smashed a pipe I had mailed to myself while in Amsterdam. No form, just smash.

8 Likes