Making Automatic plants with both sexes

Curious as to whether anyone else has felt the urge to divorce themselves from the highly priced feminised automatic seeds and decided to make an automatic line with male and female plants?

Pics below are from a superskunk auto x gold skunk regular strain, which has then been crossed to a non photosensitive auto ultimate x chronic male. It should result in a regularised automatic strain, I hope.

Any other experiments going on? I got bored with colloidal silver and induced sex changes as it is too damaging to the plant’s health and I could never get great results.

Peace out

15 Likes

For that I would check out @ReikoX’s auto projects.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Me too.
Lotsa sacs, little pollen.

1 Like

STS is a bit better and easier IME. Requires maybe 4-5 applications (depends who you read on this), one every 5days or so from just before flip instead of every (damn) day for 3+ weeks with CS.

1 Like

Cool mate I’ll check it out!

@Vesti I’ve been thinking about maybe getting some gibberelins for comparison, I’ve heard they are much simpler to apply.

I don’t know about STS so I will do a bit more research. Good to see that other people are on the same wavelength.

Reporting results so far

Auto Ultimate x Chronic produced a 50/50 mix, selected for non-photo sensitive males.

Auto superskunk x produced similar, selected for a female which buds in the summertime

I’m hoping that the descendants of these two guys will be a non photo sensitive breeding line with high THC traits.

I guess with colloidal silver it’s just such an absolute pain, either the PPM is way high in which case the plant is almost dying while it’s making pollen, or it’s too low and it kinda shrugs it off. Never seen a plant that likes it that’s for sure!

2 Likes

I did a gibberellic acid (ga3) reversal once, it worked, but it also made my internodes almost 12" apart. I did it to an autoflower just for shits and giggles, mainly to see if it actually worked, I had picked up the ga3 to try and sprout some old seeds from a friend, didn’t have luck and wondered what else it was good for. I dissolved the crystal ga3 into 99% isopropyl, then diluted that. I believe I took it to around 60ppm, then sprayed the plant twice and added it to it’s water for a single feed during the 2nd week of flower( don’t judge, I was just fucking around to see what would happen. It was vaguely purposely done not how your supposed to do it). I had picked up the ga3 on eBay I think

1 Like

@Vesti if you could fill me in on STS technique and where I can get started let me know. Sorry I don’t really know how to navigate this site properly yet

I usually do 10 days with CS spray but I use pretty strong stuff,just once
A day

I’d start here:

Last I checked @Sebring was out of stock on his site, but you can pick up way more of the ingredients than you will use in the foreseeable on Amazon for not too much money. The only somewhat expensive part of the formula is the Silver Nitrate, but something like 5 grams will run you around $25 or thereabouts. Sodium Thiosulfate is cheap, and a couple pounds/kilo might cost around $20, which will be WAY more of that than you need for a lifetime of “reversing” females.

The one thing I would recommend with autos given their “deterministic” timeline is to get the one you want to reverse germed and developed a couple weeks ahead of the ones you want to actually pollinate, that way you have mature pollen to drop on less mature seed gals which will give more time for the seeds to fully develop before senescence.

I’m happy to help with whatever know-how I’ve got, but there are many here with far greater knowledge, so I recommend tooling around a bit, making yourself known (as you are doing) and you’ll find the real experts!

I’ll be interested to see how things progress, and glad to have you aboard the Overgrow train!

2 Likes

I’ve been doing something where I collect the pollen then chuck it in a tube for the right time.

The only thing is I’m not sure how stable the storage process is. Works a bit better if the pollen is perfectly dry before it is frozen but not 100% sure on storage times…if anyone has better ideas for long term pollen storage let me know.

3 Likes