Making chain mail

My brother and I have started making chainmail. He built the welder with spare parts. And now we need better metal lol, we are going to get some soon. So far have just been experimenting on patterns. This is one of the favorites. Should be fun. We plan to make shirts. Leafs. All sorts of stuff. We are going to get a cutter for the rings to be easier to produce. We don’t mind much for the riveting instead of welding. We like to weld. This is just a pinched pattern one that we were having fun with. Tons more chain mail makings to come…

29 Likes

Cool!

I suggest Mithril.
If you’ll keep posting here, I’ll put the thread on “watching”, deal?

5 Likes

I love it. I have a headband I (or the daughter if she takes it)wear to Ren fest.

:green_heart: :seedling:

7 Likes

Deal. Working on a bracelet thing from frozen for my kid. I’ll post it later. Not going to be welded. But ya. Awesome @G-paS that’s neat

5 Likes

If I were wealthy, I could spend so much money on ren fair stuff!
I want leather wrist bracers which are affordable, and a legit cloak, but the really nice handmade ones are over a g! I feel like I could really rock a cloak, no lie.

5 Likes

Only if I made it to middle earth :laughing:

3 Likes

And found a way to forge metal from the lightning metal of a magic tree!

2 Likes

He’ll yes man. We’re having fun. It takes forever but buds help time go by…

3 Likes

That’d be pretty epic.

2 Likes

I find metalworking, and woodworking both to be fascinating. Now that I have a decent job maybe I can pick up a new hobby!

4 Likes

Impressive, do you have to form the links or do you purchase them already formed? Either way a considerable amount of work.

2 Likes

We form and cut them all .

3 Likes

Chain mail is awesome, I’m looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks man, it’s time consuming. But we like to have fun!

3 Likes

These garments predate flush toiletry.

You could buy a sewing machine, figure it out yourself, and still have $700 left. Come to think of it these garments predate sewing machines, too.

3 Likes

i made a pair of gloves after watching a youtube video. found a pleather couch and used that instead of leather for the first go. turned out pretty nice but a tad small. more like gauntlets instead of just gloves. now i just have to buy a piece of leather and make a pair a bit bigger to ride with. leather working isn’t that hard, just tedious to get the stitching good.

i’m sorry, this is a chain mail thread, not leather. my bad.

4 Likes

It’s all good man.

2 Likes

I thought I was going to learn how to mail a chain letter.

My bad. Making chain mail is much more interesting.

2 Likes

I have a vest I made… out of 14g galvanized fence wire, all coiled by hand on 1/4" mandrills and cut by hand.

I did it during school and it’s the thickest gague with the tightest weave you can do before it locks up. I’ve tested it with many blades and when my buddy said: “HIT ME WITH THE MACHETE!” I did and got upset for 2 reasons: 1: it dulled my machete… 2: the impact bruised my buddy

:rofl:

Look into the persian weaves for when you want your head to explode @Pawsfodocaws !

Edit: wearing this out in the winter was a BAD IDEA.

4 Likes

Right on thank I will look into it! That’s awesome someone else has done this stuff in here :rofl:. I’m glad you chimed in, that’s sick you tested it bro. Sucks for the machete. Nice

3 Likes