Making Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB)

what do you mean, my regular jug milk is 3.5% ! hrm maybe 3.25… fermented milk doesn’t sound beneficial lol

1 Like

Not here man, extra fat milk is 2% and regular jug milk is only 1%, but the one i bought is 3.5%… LOL

That because i’m in a hurry to have the LAB before the PM presents itself again uninvited, wanna be prepared.

2 Likes

There no normal milk here. You get 1 2 and 3% maybe its 3.5 but whatever.

@legalcanada hes using the milk to help the lactic acid bacteria to take hold quicker. And actually its very beneficial. Yogurt is made with fermented milk and is super healthy (unless you go buy that yogurt they sell everywhere that is packed with sugar)

5 Likes

very happy to see this post been wanting to make this rice wash to try it out thanks @lotus710.

1 Like

I don’t know a lot about KNF & organic gardening. I highly respect your efforts to keep it “Clean and Green”. I’m wondering why, (other than local availability and the satisfaction of DIY) no one has mentioned buying a pure strain of Lacto brewing yeast like WLP693, Lactobacillus plantarum? “Typically found in probiotics, this bacteria has been found to produce high levels of lactic acid”. If LAB helps with PM, I’ll try making some this way for our veg. garden. Just .02 from an inquiring mind.

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Let’s see your worm bins!

@lotus710, a person can drink lab? What does it do to ya? Cple drops of straight lab or the diluted lab that’s sprayed on plants?

2 Likes

I’m sure you could. You can eat the curds that form so I don’t see why the whey would be bad. I’ve been lactofermenting veggies lately and I’m pretty sure it’s similar bacteria.

Does anyone know if I can use the wash from brown rice for this? It’s the only kind I have laying around here…

1 Like

I use Forbidden Rice (black rice) to make LAB. the color of the rice is irrelevant.

4 Likes

Cool thanks…that looks badass lol

So is the rice water just providing starch to feed the bacteria or is it also covered in lb and acts as an innoculant?

Both… liquid captures microbes and they feed on the carbs.

3 Likes

Good to know, thanks. I’m going to make some up in the next couple days… trimming day today yaaaay :drooling_face:

1 Like

A couple more questions for anyone who might know…

My LABs looks just like all the pictures I’ve seen, so I assume the process went ok but it frigging REEKS like stanky blue cheese and crap…is this right? I also saw a couple pinkish spots in the curds when I was separating them off, I’m just wondering if it’s contaminated.

Also, what are the proper dilution ratios for foliar
spraying and soil drenching?

1 Like

Does the whey smell or just the curds?

I use a tablespoon per gallon. That’s a 1:256 ratio.

1 Like

The whey smells too, just as nasty but not as strong.

The few batches I made stank. The last one from Feb still stinking. I only use 1 teaspoon /gal. ___ Not Saying that @ReikoX is wrong , just saying since I’m still new to k.n.f. I go weaker cause I’ve heard how strong it is and I kill enough plants already.
My sink did stop up. Once. From wife and daughters hairs. Plugged. 1 teaspoon down and faster than any of the shelf un cloggers could even come close to.

1 Like

Not sure if this has been shared here or not but heres a simple no whey method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYyOBSMDA6o

1 Like

I made some LAB a little over a month ago but noticed the other day it has some mould growing on it.

Should I chuck it? I thought LAB was a mould inhibitor

It’s been stored in the fridge. I thought that kept it safe for a while.

Thats totaly fine

Ohhh fancy rice ,) @DanzaKuduro
I like how it stains the water black ,)

How do you like that fermentation lid @MadSientist I’ve thought of getting some for a while now.

Has anyone tried using whole full fat Coconut Milk for This purpose?

Ps. I hold a Milk Graders Certification in Ontario Canada & I can tell you 100% Non Pasturized Milk IS gonna work better overall only because there is millions more living bacterias/microscopic in the Milk, incl stuff that can make you sick like Listeria :+1:

Non Pasturized Goat Milk is easy enough to obtain if you know the Farmer or someone who drives a Milk truck :truck:… But in general likely a richer source for Bacterias/ and microscopic life.

However Regular Pasturized Milk of any type will still work just fine, it just has alot less microscopic/Bacterias count to start with, so through the fermentation process they grow and fully colonize the media regardless.

I’m really interested in someone doing this with Coconut milk/Cream the full fat stuff.

1 Like