Making the most out of a bad situation

My first thought was a scale issues too ! I’v only seen it a couple of times though!

1 Like

With a 1000w hps we should definitely be able to get you into the 500-800g range per cycle to start. But honestly 1kw is overkill imo for what you need as you could get away a 400w hps or other equivalent, heck with screw in led bulbs you can get up to 1g/w, i have and plenty of others have as well and would not cost much. But i realize the limited budget and you might as well use what you have.

Saying that you definitely should chop of the tops off your vegging plants as having a four foot plant out of a one gallon is kinda ridiculous especially when they are still in veg as once in flower they will just stretch as mentioned another 2-3x times in size if they weren’t limited root size, but in the end will just produce a bunch of lower larf and top heavy plants.

For a 1 gal pot, id be throwing them into flower once they got into the 1-1.5 foot range above soil, more than that they will be a hassle.

One step at a time, lets get your vegging plants chopped back a bit you will thank us in the end.

3 Likes

Alright so I’m currently in the midst of cleaning out my cloner. Gotta run some bleach through it for a bit, then scrub and rinse a bit later.

I’m going to chop these vegging plants down a bit tonight, and my plan is to make cuttings from the scrap.

Hopefully this time I get roots. I use ph’ed tap water and nothing else in my cloner and no gel and it usually roots in 7-11 days which is when I add superthrive but last cuttings I took from these girls didn’t root. They were healthy looking cuttings too but just wilted and died.

Updates tonight after I chop these girls down a bit.

EDIT: Oh, and i have 5gal pots I planned on TPing these 1gals into. But there’s no room in the veg room for that size pots is it okay to TP then put them into the flower room? I did this with the 3 in there currently and I can see roots on the drain holes so I think they filled out.

2 Likes

yeah you can transplant just as they go into flower, ideally its best to transplant the plants just before they take over the smaller pot, but do what you have to.

Ok I finished up on my first plant but before I go onto the next I was hoping I could get an opinion on whether I did an ok job or went too far or not enough. There’s not alot of really low growth it shed a while back and there’s some yellowing on a few leaves so I didn’t go overboard and left the healthy stuff.

Edit: Sorry for pic quality it’s hard for me to hold the camera still.

Should I get rid of any of those tops that are super low down and had their fan leaves shed?

I ended up with an unbelievable amount of cuttings, only have 19 slot cloner so some will end up in the bin I might throw some in dirt with gel and hope for the best. Would be nice to have a few dozen clones to put outside lol.

Edit 2: these vegging plants have flowers on some nodes despite being under 24hr light is this normal?

I’d actually go more, like below the Y but lets just leave them at around what you have now and we can flop them over or throw a screen over them in 4-5 days but this will be a good start. Even though small and it looks bare at this stage its because your plants were stretching for the light, so we need to bring things down and more level and then we can drop your light down onto them.

As then we can get more light into the plants cells, as your intensity of light drops significantly the further away your plant is from the light. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

Our goal is to get everything lit up as evenly as possible with in our grows limitations, so the plants have all they need to function and thrive.

2 Likes

Ok so I went ahead and did another, I had forgot that one of these was White Widow lol. Between the first NL and this WW I filled my cloner:

Still got a ton of cuttings left though:

Guess Solo cups they go and off to the side of the veg room and hope for the best? Lol

Man my White widow looks horrible now, all it’s healthiest looking parts are gone, I can’t believe I have the nerve to do this :confused:

One more NL to go before the canopy is even and it’s probably the biggest of all:

Here we go.

It’s getting late too I think I’ll stick excess cuttings in a vase overnight and hope they survive.

(My flower room looks awful tonight too btw the speckling continues but still no sign of mites but did see some for the first time ever but one thing at a time I guess lol)

3 Likes

the cuttings should survive over night, just put them in cooler dark place and you should be good.

And the plant looks good, hey its hard at first but once you know what they can take and what you can do with them then it all bud,

Once you get them all brought down we will need to drop your light down on top of them, but that can be done tomorrow, but you will want the light pretty close, just not close enough to get heat burnt, then we can start getting things dialed in.

I’ll be around this weekend so just tag me in here with an @ followed by my user name like this " @Lucy247420 "

that or just pm me if needed, but lets keep it in the forum if we can so others can watch and help also ;).

3 Likes

Of course. I appreciate all the help you’ve given I already feel alot better and I feel like I’m taking back control of this garden.

I intend to do a journal once we are all set, I would love to learn alongside others here as I’ve been growing solo for quite some time now.

I also, though late, am throwing as many in outside as I can this year and that will be any day now too!

4 Likes

Update:

All levelled out at ~1.7ft I would have went more but the lower veg was really unhealthy and I do that think it would have survived.

My runts are now the best looking plants lol but they are stunted so I’ll need advice on those 2 later.

Dropping the lights down here soon, I’m down to 2x48" grolux t8s and 2x24" soft white t8s. I’m not sure if my lighting will be adequate I had to rob a 100w 6500k CFL for my cloner. I have a photography softbox with 2 100w 6500k cfls but idk if I’m allowed to use them :wink: lol

Edit: light is lowered to about ~6" from canopy.

The grolux is the in the middle with the soft whites on either side. There was originally 9 plants in here so these 5 have plenty of room this time.

@Mr.Sparkle :wink:

3 Likes

yeah as you assume your light isnt gonna be enough but we will fix that for now just throw them like 2inchs away from the light. and jam all the pots directly under the lights with them side by side with each other, this way your lighting intensity will be better. As your doubling up on light and reducing the sqft that the light falls over, the plants will utilize as much as they can get.

They will respond and like it.

how big is your veg room btw, as it may be better suited for the light your using. Cooling being the challenge with hps.

2 Likes

Veg room is 4x4, flower room is 8x11.

If I move them side by side, some will only directly be under the sides of the 4ft, and the 2fts will only be above the middle 2-3 plants. It’s very dark on the sides of the room.

Should i put on my puppy dog face and try to steal the softbox? It’s bright it’s got 2x100w 6500k cfls in it with a square reflector.

1 Like

They’re looking great! good job :grinning:
And I always feel bad about pruning too hell I feel sad after harvest and all my pretty girls are gone. . . Then I get stoned and feel better

2 Likes

Oh idk how I forgot to mention this, but my veg room runs 24/0. That’s a big omission I know. Should I try to find money to get another timer for 18/6 will it help having a dark photoperiod especially after basically 5 weeks of veg on 24/0?

Edit: and they are sexing out big time now throwing pistils on many nodes so 18/6 I worry might send them into full on flower.

2 Likes

U should be ok 18hrs and above would keep them in veg

1 Like

Back in the flower room tonight, spotting is worse. Not seeing anything moving on any of the plant with the most spotting I still think it’s light bleaching however there are some other leaves on the lower half of all plants showing decay and what imo looks like some sort of pest damage but I’m not sure.

On my back left plant however I found those red things again I tried to take a pic but they arent very good.

Always same spot on the stem and I only ever see them on this plant unless I’m blind. They don’t move and are stuck. The leaves they are attached to are unhealthy too.

Edit: I’m pretty sure these red things are some sort of scale. And I’m also finding a bit of black sooty mold on some of the damage. My loupe is only 25x but I managed to get a good glimpse and it looked alot like what was posted it here, almost like a mushroom head without the stem fastened to the branch.

Also noticing some pretty swollen calyxes and possible staminate growth on the buds.

It’s just trouble after trouble :confused:

2 Likes

Do u av a lot of air movement in the room and how high is ur humidity just a thought if u seem to be getting mushrooms on ur plant lol :crazy_face::crazy_face:

1 Like

My hygrometer is on the fritz but it’s reading 52%ish today.

I have a 200cfm inline exhaust moving air out, I keep door open a bit during lights on to get air in plus I have another fanless duct in the bottom corner to pull cool air in from the basement. I keep panty hose over my ducts as a ghetto filter lol.

Also have a big 18" oscillating house fan blowing on them 24/7 back and forth, it’s back faces the door so it moves alot of new air in during lights on.

I found a local source for the Doktor Doom total release fogger it’s supposed to kill everything including scale and can be used up until 1 day before harvest (or so Ive read) I’m wondering if its worth a try to nuke anything in the room.

Im worried the plants might not even make it to harvest, I mean the tops look ok but lower stuff is worrisome plus I’m getting swollen calyxes everywhere that look like they might be seeding out.

Got a lot on my plate at the moment :confused:

2 Likes

Sorry I can’t be more help I’m new to this too but I’ve a bit smaller setup it’s still against the law ova here in the U.K. :crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: if the bottom stuff looks really bad I’d think about spraying something on the powdery mildew/mold it can be so annoying not knowing the cause but I’m sure someone will help @Lucy247420 good luck

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’m making a plan to tackle that now.

Got a little H2O2 and lots of baking soda I heard both work well for wpm and other types of mold but I’ve never sprayed anything directly on my plants ever this late in flower I’ve always worried about attracting more mold/mildew from the added moisture.

And since my plants are already stressed out so much Im scared of pruning the dying/possibly infected stuff for fear of causing more problems.

:confused:

@Mr.Sparkle any suggestions?

Also an update on the veg room. I got my hands on the softbox and added it and also lowered the light as per your recommendations. It is super bright in here now.

Edit: got the excess cuttings from last night into at least some sort of growing medium with some gel on them so gonna throw a light over these and hope for the best. Playing the numbers game in hopes I have something to get another garden if disaster strikes on my current grow.

2 Likes