Making the most out of a bad situation

Got my hands on a good camera to take a picture of one of these red blobs and it doesn’t look like anything that resembles “scale” it’s almost like a snail or slug but it’s 1mm long. It doesn’t move and is hard to pick from the plant. The bulbous bit looks like a dried drop of blood or sap.

And the underside of it:

Some of them are bright orange and they’re always in the same spot, halfway up the stem on fan leaves near canopy.

I picked off as many as I could find. Anyone know what this is and how to fight it?

There’s also some stems that just have a red spot though, like it isn’t protruding out of the stem its more like a blemish but in the same spots I’m finding the bulbous stuff.

1 Like

Looks like dried sap that can occur on some strains and if they the plant has had some light damage whether pest or human caused i wouldn’t worry about it unless you notice more damage.

Awesome on the soft box that will help, get it closer and level with the other lights if you can, id move the t8 fixtures just to either side of it. Also lower them some more, use the back of your hand as a test, if you can put your hand close enough to the light till you can feel some heat after 5-10 secs your good, i expect you to be like about 2" away as the t8’s the plants almost can be draped against the bulbs with how they just get warm to the touch.

As for the mold if its just on the top of the soil spray directly with H2O2 if needed. Don’t spray the plant, also watch out for the baking soda as it can change your pH of your media as it acts as a alkaline changer relatively easily.

But so far looking a lot better, we will flop over top in a couple days, but leave them as is for now, just make the lights level and lower them some more.

edit: Need to read the previous post though so let me do that

3 Likes

Veg room is 4x4x6.

I’m gonna play around with the whole light rig tomorrow to try to maximize light. The pink GroLux bulbs are actually T12 I think. Before they’d grow into it and burn within 24hrs of touching it, which is why I had to keep raising it before. But I think you’re right I just need a lot more lumen.

I agree too I think the red and orange stuff might be sap, it’s strange how it’s occurring but this particular plant also seems to look the healthiest as far as fan leaves are concerned.

The plant with the most “light burn” and spotting in my flower room is also the one with the best colas lol. Also the calyxes I posted earlier opened up since I took that picture with 2 white pistils but still a bit concerned about herms.

Good news is I got a decent pocket microscope coming and new hygrometer in the next few days so I’ll be able to check out these problems a bit more closely.

2 Likes

in regards to the flower room your lowers are gonna be a lost cause just cause of how far away they are from the light but you can still flop over tops now its jsut the stems will need to be supported till they can heal, but might be best to run them out as is,

Now as i kinda expected your rooms are too big for how much light you have. Also for your needs.

Here’s what i suggest you abandon your flower room completely and just grow in your veg closet, as at 16sqft thats a lot of space if your only looking for 200-300g a cycle. Also to get adequate light in there whether led or hps or whatever were looking at probably around 500-800watts of light anyways just for that room.

the 1000w hps could be run in there so long as you can keep the closet cool. But its will work much better for how much light you have than the bigger room

But you may have access to a 600w light which will also lower your electricity bill too, There are cheapish led options as well, but im all for using what you have if you can

Edit: we will work on flopping things over instead of raising the light next but lets wait a day or two

2 Likes

That’s a big ask, room cost alot to build (not just my money either) specifically for the purpose of growing veg through flower. Veg room was a dinky thing I threw together just to have a place to grow seedlings. I’d like to get another HPS for the flower room too eventually but this next 5 plant cycle will have to go in the flower room for sure.

Also when I said 100g a month that’s per person x2 and it actually works out to be more than that. Ideally I’d have as many plants as I could jam packed under that 1000w bulb in the big room but the 3 in flower took off way faster than their sisters.

I’d like to get close to 1g/w as I average less than half that currently so it seems like a waste of power. Obviously not expecting that on current cycle or even the next with 5 plants, but the cycle after that whether I have clones or buy new seeds (shudders) I want to put as many plants as is reasonable to get the best yield out of my 1000w bulb.

1 Like

Well figure you will need around 35-50w of light per sq foot to give you an idea. So you would be looking at 3-4 1000w hps for your flower room to get adequate light levels.

So comes down to how big you want to grow.

Saying that, lets figure this out and ask the question a different way what would you like to get every three months ? yield wise, then we will multiply that by 1.5-2 to give some breathing room

1 Like

The ‘effective’ area in the flower room is more like 7x7, since there’s ducts and stuff in the first 5 feet that prevent me from putting anything under them, plus 5" strapping/foam walls on all sides.

So 49sq would be ~2000w hmm.

So every three months I’d need about 1lb.

In fact I’ve grown a few one pound gardens on this light in this room in the past. Once with 13 plants once with 12. Was never happy with the final product, and it seemed to last ~3 months and we had no access to clones or seeds and next thing you know we had no medicine. That was the whole reason behind having 2 rooms to keep things always going perpetually but obviously I’m still dropping the ball here :confused:

Edit: I realize 1g/w is not going to happen, but since I know .5g/w is possible I’d like to, in the future, achieve that. Let’s hope these cuttings take root so I’ll have lots of stock to work with when the time comes.

Also, if going by what the seed bank says, this strains flower time is ~7weeks, 5 of which will have passed as of tomorrow, but I’m sure you can see by the bud shots I posted it looks like they need more than 2 weeks still. So in 2 weeks if they really are harvest-able my HPS will have nothing under it and be ready for the vegging plants we have now.

1 Like

A 1k should be more than enough light for you then.

But yeah your flower room is just too big for your light, 1k hps should supposedly cover up to a 5x5 area with good light levels for reference. So you will either need to add more light, or make the room smaller even just with movable walls “painted/covered foam board would work”

But something to think about.

As for perpetual growing your veg area wouldn’t need to be that big “mind you im biased on how small you can go”, but all you need is just enough to hold seedlings and or mother/clone as say if your growing in 3-5gals of media, you would only need 3.5-5weeks of veg before you would want to flip them.

Also your not dropping the ball if you don’t know, its all part of learning the tricks of what works.

2 Likes

You know what’s embarassing? The fact I had white reflective plastic curtains up before to close the room off some for the same reason you explained, but took them down because they didn’t seem to help increase light intensity, and got in the way constantly, and I thought they would be a great place for pests to nestle into hehhe. Well I can definitely get that back up when the time comes.

When I had 12 plants in here it was so crowded so I went back to 9 but it was still so crowded. But 4 plants across won’t work in here I find 3x3 plants in 5 gal buckets is the best way to fill this room but when I tried 9 versus 12 I got 3 plants less yield worth basically and I figured opening it up some for more light would give me same yield. But I think 9 is the most I could ever fit in here comfortably.

1 Like

You can fit a lot in the space, but it comes down to limiting root space. You would probably be better off in 3 gals than 5 just as the plant would become more manageable.

2 Likes

Update: They’re bouncing back!

The veg room looks nice and perky today, new growth already forming and existing growth looks alot healthier.

Did some tweaking got my light down and opened up a bit.

It’s basically on top of the plants now only an inch or two gap.

Flower room looks no better no worse really, I pruned a few really gnarly looking leaves.

I did however do some messing around with bending them over some and using their natural Y shape to my advantage.

Things were going good until a heard a snap on one of the colas, no detachment just cellular breakup, I splinted it and decided to hold off going any further on the bending.

I’m going to call this the “best I can do” at this point, since I’m a couple weeks out from harvest I’m gonna try to ensure their survival until they’re ripe enough for taking, getting low on medicine anyways.

2 Likes

Looking better @Lucy247420! I see @Mr.Sparkle got you together! :smiley: It’s easy to let them get out of control - just look at my grow thread, lol! Live and learn, happy growing! :dragon_face:

1 Like

Ay thanks KG! Been watching your thread for a while you got some amazing looking plants there it’s like a microforest!

And of course thanks to @Mr.Sparkle for helping me get back on track. I’m like 50% less overwhelmed now since you started helping me out, and at least got some optimism going forward.

I’ll keep updating day to day as I can, to share my adventures in low budget growing :slight_smile:

You all are awesome this community is the genuinely nicest place on the internet.

2 Likes

They appear to be bug bites.

Aphids or Thrips, I say

@Lucy247420 Yeah just get them to harvest, but throw them as close to that light as possible.

Try this on a smaller lower branch first but the trick to flopping tops over later in flower is to crush the stem with your fingers over a 2-3 inch long section. Just to break the inner herd and or loosen the joining points where the separate stem segment meet. Then you ease the tops over, this way the stem collapses in on it self with some folds or going flat.

Think metal tube bending when not done right

Doing so the cell walls still hold up as your not cutting or breaking stem flow. Then they start to heal and start pointing up literally in a day or two

Try it first on a lower branch that doesnt matter as much, as if you can do it id recommend it even now with 4 weeks out.

But its totally a comfort and experience trick that works pretty well if you need to bring tops down or adjust your canopy.

3 Likes

I agree they look like bug bites, but it’s only happening on the leaves that are dangerously close to the light, and occurred pretty much the day after I scooted the plants closer to the light, plus all the leaves that look like that I went over with a 25x loupe and didn’t see anything at all alive. Also shook the colas over a white sheet of paper and nothing came off that looked alarming. Could also be slight residue was left behind from spraying insecticidal soap during first week of flower, but I never had that kind of problem using this stuff before.

@Mr.Sparkle I will try that on the back one I haven’t touched. I’ve done this before with success but only on one or two tops that were much taller than the rest. I’ve done aggressive LST and topping before so i got the basic concept of it down.

The one with the big buds are actually really really big buds I’d say they’d be the biggest gapless colas I’ve ever grown personally, they are way too heavy to try bending over at this point I can feel them wanting to snap right now in their current config lol.

But the others have alot of gaps and aren’t as top heavy and would likely be ok if I tried this on them.

2 Likes

Bet you money this here was the issue for the scab like materials.

Being that your plants are so lanky and with all that extra weight at the end, when you shook them the cellular wall probably broke and the plant just needed to heal itself, Right after watering is the worst time to move or try moving stems as the cell walls are full of fresh water.

as for the leaf i wouldn’t say bug bites, on closer look at the photo @BadVoodoo tagged looks like you just gave them a bit too much potassium with the burnt edges on the tips, the yellowing in the center just looks like the plant didn’t respond well at one point, whether it got locked out from excess or the pH went out of balance at one point due to a possible “too strong feeding” then the plant just went a little mutant and shut down growth in the center of the leaves as they were expanding, only shows on older growth right ?

if so most likely the case.

nothing to do now just other than keeping them happy, as those spots if not bad will get darker over time as cells move back to those areas of damage, but they will be the first places you will notice pull back when the plant starts consuming itself just before its ready to harvest.

Your good, and the plant looks healthy, just need to get more light on the plants by getting things level if you can and grouping them together and getting so only those plants are lit up with the light. (smaller room ideally, but that can’t wait).

Edit: Also i bet the tops feel like they want to snap with the lanky stems, but give the pinch method a try if your feeling confident.

2 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle

Ok that makes sense, since the plant with the most damage is also the plant that dries up the quickest, hence its using up food faster than the others. I have strange nutrients no one including myself knows anything about, and I can never get the dosage right last time I thought I used too little so this time around I doubled dosage from day one.

FYI it is Dutch Nutrient Formula A+B and during late veg/flower I’m using ~40ml per gallon of each. I usually use monster bloom (pk booster) mid flower but skipped it this time because I thought it was causing hermies. Good thing by the sounds of it or this could have been worse.

Edit: I also have a fan that blows on them pretty hard, could have also caused the scarring/bleeding as I didn’t shake the colas super hard just a little jiggle probably less than when the fan hits it.

Edit 2: And yes, only older growth.

1 Like

If the stems are moving around with the fan, highly probable i would say.

And if it works it works use what you have, i use to run all sorts of things but was the maxi series gro and bloom for the longest time, now i use a one part some what common with other growers here that just needs the ppm feed adjusted slightly depending on what the plants are telling me they want.

The hermies previously i bet were probably just due to a stressed environment and really just the genetics being prone to doing that. Don’t know what they were but our plants in general won’t throw issues if there genetics wont allow them too, So its typically more common for bagseed to be as those late flowering self pollinating plants have a habit of getting through as no grower is wanting seed in there bud unless they are breeding or producing for seed only aka industrial.

You got it under control ;).

Id say start a new thread once those vegging plants get under flowering light in a couple weeks if you can manage.

Edit btw, try that pinching technique on your vegging plants as well right now, drop the canopy so all the growth is about the same in height.

3 Likes