Making the most out of a bad situation

Thanks again!

These are supposed to be “good genetics” so we’ll see in a few weeks.

I never get nanners I usually get the type of Hermie where little microseed forms in the calyx. But the strains that did this one was hand me down unknown and one was also an unknown from someone’s cuttings.

This time I ordered Northern Lights fem and White Widow from Canuk Seeds. They were pricey I’m hoping at least the final product is fire regardless the yield :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Lucy247420 Time for an update i think, just to see how things are going :wink:

3 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle

Funny I was about to post an update and saw your post :).

Veg room is looking great, they aren’t stretching they’re putting on some new tops and lots of horizontal growth.

Tonight is their feeding night.

A couple branches I flopped over are doing so well but if I lose them it will just make more I guess lol

Cuttings also look healthy, no signs of rooting yet but they still look like the day I cut them so fingers are still crossed.

Now the flower room is a different story altogether.

Pots have been heavy wet for a week, plants look sad and some are starting to worry me.

Swollen calyxes, they’re shooting hairs out but I’ve learned that means nothing. Not seeing any nanners unless I’m confusing them with new set leaves. Dont think nanners are dark green anyways.

But the lower ‘larf’ as you call it looks strange to me.

Really hope this isn’t another fail, and at only a little over halfway through flower I’m not even sure what the S.O.P would be.

In other news all the talk of pests here got me paranoid so I got some DE, Pyrethrin Miticide and a new bottle of H2O2. Thank God I got the H2O2 because I noticed tonight some mold on my grow room floor. The whole floor was foaming by the time I was done cleaning lol.

Anyways that’s basically where I’m at, just trying to hold it together. :confounded:

3 Likes

You look fine.

For the vegging plants your still gonna have a crap ton of bud sites by the end, and they are starting to stretch again but lets try to bring stuff down a bit further by bringing down the tall shoots, give that pinch and flop technique i mentioned above a try as the plants can handle it now.

That or read up on scrogging “Screen of Green” and see if that’s more up your alley. LST “light stress training” as well in another option. All are just methods at keeping your canopy under control, but if we can drop your canopy level again by half of where its at now and spread it out to cover more area you will have a very good base going into flower, and plenty of height to work with once flowering stretch hits.

As the more a plant has to fight for space or light the more of a hassle it becomes.

Speaking of flower your vegging plants would ideally be flipped very shortly such as in a week or so if they are looking good after the adjustments and are filling the space.

I know its soon, but they are overly big for the pot size if your keeping them in the same pots, but even with a transplant, they will be ready to go shortly.

As for your flower room and those plants, the bottom larf looks fine your just gonna be trimming a bit. But yeah just let them run out and finish, you should be fine, so i wouldn’t worry.

We can just focus on your vegging plants and get those squared away.

3 Likes

Did some messing around with the tops in my veg room today bending over some more tops. They are looking good now and vegging out a bit more. Brainstorming some ways to add more light but for now they seem pretty happy.

Flower room is what it is, I’m making the most out of a bad situation, which is a good name for this thread lol

Week 5 of flower NL fem, 7 week finisher supposedly but I can’t see this being done in 2 and a half weeks the hairs are still long as hell on the main colas.

Which gets me thinking, what the hell am I gonna do with these vegging plants? I might have to keep bending em over and stretching this out until the others are done flowering because the height difference isn’t going to be compatible for them growing together (plus wouldn’t want a stray nanner or pollen landing on them early on in flower that would be a disaster)

I’m wondering if I should think about doing a tp of these vegging plants into 5gal pots it would be a tight squeeze in this room but if I could do it without moving them too far from the light I think it might be worth it to inhibit growth.

Still no sure signs of rooting on my cuttings and im running out of time to start my outdoor crop. Added 25ml of rapidboost to the rez since I saw a possible nub on one and 20ml of 30% H2O2 since it’s getting close to a week since they were cut. Rez runs a bit on the cool side anyways so peroxide/buffer really isn’t needed. I don’t have experience with these strains at all so I have no idea how stable they are for cloning so it’s really a crap shoot and experiment at this point.

4 Likes

meh… grow on sir… things fall into place eventually and soon enough you’re gonna take off…

I wouldnt call those buds a bad situation :wink:

3 Likes

Hey I was considering the title: “How I learned to stop stressing and love my garden” but I’m not quite there yet. It’s getting better though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Lucy247420 Coming along nicely :+1:
The leaf spotting looks like spray damage to me. When I used to use pyrethrin spray, it would make similar spotting on fan leaves. Soap can cause damage too. Especially if you use it in full sun/lamp. When I spray anything, I’ll turn the lights down and fans off.

A manual inspection with good eyes or a magnifier should find any pest outbreak that would cause that much damage.

3 Likes

Indeed, and the fact it happened on fans closest to the light led me to believe that it was light, which I guess was kind of half true since the intense light combined with any residue left behind could cause that. I do spray right before lights off in the morning whenever I do, but my mix was a bit stronger than normal plus I added some homemade rosemary oil so I’m sure something just got left behind on the leaves. This was all because I spotted a single mite on a low branch and didn’t want to take chances by just spraying that one area, instead i soaked all the plants in the room top to bottom. I’m diligent I check daily for pests and since it’s only 3 lanky plants it’s easy to check almost every node so it was an early catch.

Moving them closer to the light resulted in worsening but moving them only a few extra inches away after a few days they’ve actually started to repair themselves in the not-so-bad areas.

Was about to go to bed but figured I’d give an update on the original topic since this discussion has went in a bunch of different directions since I started it.

3 Likes

It’s still looking good for all the trouble you have been having all you got to do is stick with it people here will help you along the way nice to see ur grow :blush:

1 Like

Update!

Boxed in the veg room with some white acrylic plastic and foam board to try to optimize the lighting a bit.

Gettingots of new growth and tops too, all nice and even with the fluoros almost touching the tops.

One of these had damped off but after a lonnnng time it’s finally perking back up and packing on new growth. Don’t expect much from it but it’s cool to see it’s surviving.

Flower room is what it is as usual I’m anxious to get these plants out of here, they’ve been a major pain and I plucked a calyx off last night and found a little seed I think so I think they’re hermie’ing out again but this time around I’m gonna push em a couple more weeks to see if it helps with the end product. I have taken them early in the past and they’ve had alot of microseed in them and it just sucks to smoke.

Can’t wait to finish this grow and start anew with the tips and advice I’ve gotten from all you fine people!

6 Likes

Do any of these look like your culprit? They are a type of sap sucking scale insect. In the same category as a mealybug i guess

1 Like

I would suggest downloading this. . .
http://catnews.org/FREE%20Pot%20Books/Jorge%20Cervantes%20-%20Marijuana%20Horticulture%20The%20IndoorOutdoor%20Medical%20Growers%20Bible.mobi
Or in pdf format. . .

Ordered a microscope and checked it out, it was likely sap either from some sort of bite, stress induced or just genetics.

I’ve made a lot of progress I plan on putting my conclusions here and moving my future posts into a diary!

Edit:

To recap or TL;DR the thread, I came here looking for some insight into the spotting/speckling as seen here:

It wasn’t mites or any other pest. It was most likely a combination of light/heat plus overfeeding/nutrient burn. The light burn was due to me allowing the plants to reach an unmanageable height during veg, and since I didn’t prepare for the stretch it was almost too late to train or flop any of the tops down so i did my best to manage the light and pull some of the colas down and here we are 2 weeks later, the plants are still alive, 1 of which is ~2 weeks from harvest while the other 3 shouldn’t be too far behind. I don’t expect a massive yield out of these 3 but without the help of the community I don’t know if they would have even survived.

The thread then went into a few different directions and basically became a damage control of my 2 rooms, which I’ll recap a little in my grow diary.

Thanks again for all the help OG, especially @Mr.Sparkle for sharing his infinite wisdom and helping me get on the right track both in and out of the garden. I came for help, but found a community of friends and like minded people. It was a win/win. Now let’s get growing!

5 Likes

seems like u need to learn low stress training no tall plants top.