Males, why are you breeding them

I will chose a male who is covered in resin
And a good structure what i call an ultimate male
If you can smoke him it is good

Iā€™m no breeder but I would say structure I like any male that I thought was gonna be a female

1 Like

Not a breeder but.
1Structure ( stalk strength ,node spacing, flower production mass ,height width you like ect.)
2Flowering time. faster flowering male will pass to offspring. Combine with fast flowering fem bang. You got a fast flowering offspring. It can also lower the flowering time of a longer flowering fem being used by some.

These are the same things you want in your female but also should copy n run your females through to know for sure what the flower is talking about before hitting select copies of her. Sounds like a lot but its not really.

Title says why breeding males.
To not introduce that intersex that randomly gives you the pickle mid flower n costs a sensi crop.

2 Likes

Yeah so it should of said ā€œwhy are you breeding your malesā€?, itā€™s not about reversing, sorry to confuse

That would be ideal, hell yeah. The populations need to be supported by more than just two original plants though. Everyone with the ability to run thousands of seeds at a time should be open pollinating populations of plants, rather than individuals, imho.

3 Likes

that is exactly what i think.

1 Like

But an open pollenation wont give you those nailed down traits youre trying to lock. It will open up the phenopool and seeds can lean 100 different ways. Cause each parent will pass different traits. When you got an orgy all of em go everywhere making the seed a roll if the dice on what it ends up productwise.
Why ppl do closed selective pollenation. Cause they want all the seeds to produce fire. Not here n there. Want to garuntee that every plant will be similar in product. Not one fire 2 producing catnip

2 Likes

Thatā€™s still thinking from the dozen seeds at a time mentality. When you have real numbers, you donā€™t have the same restrictions.

Thereā€™s a misconception with the term open pollination that gets people thinking you just randomly pollinate whatever you have growing, but that doesnā€™t make sense. You still do the same selection process, just on a much larger scale.

If thereā€™s only two plants in an entire population that are worth breeding with, are they really worth breeding with? My belief is that every trait that you donā€™t care about, letā€™s say leaf shape for example, should be allowed to vary so the line can survive in the greatest variety of environments.

6 Likes

Yeah i was as you said thinking more ā€œopenā€ like wild uncontrolled dust flying everywhere in a field.

This breeding stuff gets deep quick. You just hit me with one right there.
Here i am focusing on proven females n potency, stacking solid ,easy to trim, short stocky plants but forgetting all about ease of growing. And environmental things that havent really been tested outside my set environment. Now i feel i got to torture a few to see what happens.

1 Like

Why you worried about what other people are doing?

Probably same reason youre worried about what on this thread since you obviously arent interested in any positive input. Someone piss in your fruit loops.

1 Like

Ah damnit that came out wrong. I sensed hostility. But op probably wants to know others inputs to help from messing anything up n just do best they can at what theyre trying. Can learn from others.
Me i worry about others environment cause im probably going to shift more attention to breeding ,gearing towards short stocky animals meant for indoor grows in space restricted areas

2 Likes

Why the attitude, is this place not about open discussion or are we back in the 70ā€™s keeping shit to ourselves?
It seems like some of us folks are getting something from this ā€œOpenā€ discussion.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s why this sight rules, no Egos or drama for the most part and open discussion that often fuse into a tree of related subjects.

4 Likes

I test males for overwatering, over feeding, underwatering, underfeeding, stem rubbings, test and smoke the offspring in the same way to see if he will be used again.
I judge my plants by what ive actually bought and grown from the big seedbanks. And whether its for personal use or commercial, selective breeding seeds that come from the best on the market will produce better plants then some off brand seed companies WW bred with some bag seed found by joeblow down the block. Buy/find seeds that are renown for their breeding qualities is my advice.

3 Likes

yeah this def aint the 70ā€™s bruh

The amounts of plants they select from is often much much less than youā€™d think. Thereā€™s a couple guys doing really big numbers, but not the vast majority.

But, that being said, if you canā€™t find a standout or two in 3-5 females, it may not be a good place to select stock from.

7 Likes

Or like me, just keep popping more beans from the cross until you find the best. Only problem is that you may find out in the end the best female was from first ones you popped and now culled.

3 Likes