Master grower soil?

I also like a little wood and or biochar in my soil. Wood holds water, nutrients, and air so is very beneficial to the soil. If you are recycling the soil to use again it becomes even more useful. To say composted wood is less useful than “soil” is a misnomer. Composted or aged wood is part of healthy soil. Fresh wood chips will tie up nitrogen but aged or composted chips add potassium and give fungi and bacteria a home as well as give roots a place to breath.

1 Like

@ryasco is right with the composted wood. Aslong as its fully broken down. Aged bark isnt fully broken down. It still needs a year or two to turn into something good or else its gonna take every bit of nitrogen out of your soil. Companies use this shitty filler because they have soooooo much of it. Not because its top choice. Sure its aight. But You can easily add something 100% better that wont tie up nitrogen… like peatmoss😂 I never once said composted wood isnt as good as soil. Composted wood makes killer compost. Thats why i have a woodchip compost. Ill post the thread on shitty aged bark filler once i find it.

2 Likes

Lmfao😂 worse then poop

3 Likes

Right on man thanks well I always check it out as im working with it i didn’t find any plastic or wire I found nothing at all but very nicely composting bark and small wood chunks but when squeezed smashed down very very easy I definity had a different experience then that guy but I think im going to have to wait and see thanks for the info

1 Like

Finding trash in your soil is f#cked up! I have used Kellog and didn’t like it, it was out of whack PH wise. I assume from not being composted fully. I had deficiencies from the start.(Tomatoes) If they are made at the same place then i would check the PH of the soil before hand. For 8.99 a bag i expect cheap inputs and you will have to feed the plant but you want the PH correct from the start.

3 Likes

If its named kellog i only expect cereal not compostXD lmao!!!:joy:

6 Likes

LOLOLOL @lotus710 won’t you come down to CR one day we’d have a blast man! You always make me laugh! LOL

1 Like

Working on getting a ph tester what’s new and works hell its been ten years my last grow haha

1 Like

Never heard of a ph pen for soil. Ive just seen little test kits for soil ph. Garden centers have them. They aightXD

2 Likes

I would die of heat lmfao😂

2 Likes

You can pick up a ph soil test kit for next to nothing at Orchard Supply. If you are tight with a hydro shop they might just give you one.

1 Like

thanks 4 all the helpful info like i said its been a few years haha

1 Like

They do make Ph pens specifically for soil I will try and find a link in the morning if you really wanted one :wink:

3 Likes

Nah in goodXD i dont need one forsure.

3 Likes

sure let me know thanks

2 Likes

This is what i got, might not bet 100% accurate but it gives you a pretty good idea.

3 Likes

https://www.ukgardensupplies.co.uk/acatalog/info_1745.html

2 Likes

I haven’t said elsewhere. We used Big Rootz.
http://thesoilking.com/big-rootz/

For feed once a week we top dress kelp, crab meal, and neem mixed with karanja. Every other week a basic tea (compost, molasses) is added. Gypsum, oyster shell flour, glacial rock dust was added at start of budding for safety. Earthworms where added also at the beginning.

2 Likes

Ok, this was just topdressed?

2 Likes

Peat mos is good for drainage.
Perlite,Bark and coco coir.

1 Like