Maximising your yeilds

:rofl: check out my growing sideways thread, I’m going to persevere in at least hitting 500g if going up the wall works. I’m really interested in making the most out of a small space, if I had more room I wouldn’t be so much on this line of thought.
If you saw my last grow you might be able to see there was actually quite a bit of open space using the SOG method especially if I trimmed off the 1g side buds that took up a huge area proportionatly.
I’m starting to get the feeling most don’t try to push it as far as I am and I may have to just prove it to myself that it’s possible.

2 Likes

If you could get an 8’ cabinet you could turn it into 2 4’ grow spaces of the top of my head.

3 Likes

16+ clone sog? :man_shrugging:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

@Foreigner yeh at the mo i have a 2ft cube ontop of my 2x2x4

@cannabissequoia im yet to try a clone SOG so i cant quite tell how it will compare to the auto SOG that im using as they flip after 3 ish weeks from seed

3 Likes

I’m currently trying for maximum yield from 1 plant in my 2x2… i did about 8 weeks veg, started with the plans for an 8 top manifold but that spiraled out of control pretty quickly lol. No net, just lst, topping and half a tomato cage.

If it produces similar to when I had 4 plants, im hopping for 6-8 oz… but im probably dreaming lol

18 Likes

Na Man that’s well within reach! Good luck you ya I hope you get more

5 Likes

I’m working on a multi-tier vertical clone SOG. I only have 1 true example of a typical clone I would run in it and she’s only just started flowering, but she looks nice. I also have a tiny clone that never really grew and it’s happily flowering away it’s little 1g nug it will end up with.

I agree for a 2x2 you’re pushing it at ~15g/plant. If you can’t increase your footprint, go up vertically.

If you can get a second tier of plants you double your yield. You might need a taller tent and another light and maybe a cheap shelf rack, but I bet you could pull it off.

2 Likes

Or two tents and a shelf holding the tents, if you can’t find an 8’ high tent. I’ve never seriously tried tent shopping.

2 Likes

Yeah mine is a plywood shelving so it’s easy peasy to modify, I understand being capped at around 15g per plant but I just went from 14 to 45 plants sooooooo the hope is to hit the same average per plant but keep the same space and wattage.

Hopefully this shows you what I’m doing now to maximise my space without rewiring the light into two units for multiple shelves.
Bob’s growing sideways

2 Likes

I dunno if you can do more than you have. That looks like a pretty optimal use of space.

I mean, if at the end of flowering all of that is buds, then you physically can’t fit more in :joy:

1 Like

:crossed_fingers: :rofl: I’m hoping someone points out something I have missed but we shall see how mine goes, I find I can generally get a feeling if I can improve upon what I did by the end of the grow like if I messed up somehow.

From the looks of it you have a light on the 2x4 surface, a SOG on the bottom 2x2 and a SOG on the other 2x4?

Did you consider running the light on the bottom or top 2x2 and do 2 2x4 SOGS on the sides?

Yeah that’s right.
Oooooh running it top down and sog on two or three sides and the bottom? :rofl: damn that’s a good idea if the light isn’t too far away from the ones farthest away!
I will have to try that at some point… Probably after the next run as I want to just run a few different strains as testers and grow them well next.

2 Likes

They’ll stretch to where they need to be. You may need to do some training to make sure everyone gets access to the light but yeah, more SOG surface area = more yields.

2 Likes

Yeah man that’s an excellent point you made which should improve it. I will have to do a straight comparison to what @beacher pointed out as the sideways version of mine 2x4 and 2 high may be just as much sog room though from what I can tell I can fit around 25 1L pots comfortably in the 2x2 area and 64 by just ramming the 0.5L pots in, on the other hand up the walls I can fit 24 per wall I use so without ramming pots in and using 2 walls and the bottom I can fit in 73 pots

2 Likes

I have a short tent too :sob::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: something no man ever said, moving on I have a 2x2x3 so I’m gonna watch ya and maybe learn how to use it in a good way. :rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

This worked for me, 1 plant. ~54 day veg time with an 8 top mainline. Got just over 172grams(6+ounces) of quality bud from a single plant in a 3x3, wasn’t even 3 ft tall… Then I did two plants, only topped but same veg time, and got just over a pound in quality bud from that same 3x3 with the same ~300w of light. One was just over 3ft and the other ended just over 4ft.

So yeah, you should definitely be able to hit that easily depending on the strain.

4 Likes

im all done with nutes, checking ph this shits better than that crap. paying up the ass! i make up a bunch of sub cools super soil. fill my 15gal 3/4 full of that then top it with fox farms ocean forest. i plop my started plants in there and water . when budding starts i top dress each plant with more super soil and that gives it what it needs to finish flowering. been doing it this way for 5 years. takes a little money to start but much less that buying chemicals continually and you can reuse that same soil many times over. i just amend it again. after awhile you get the knack of what you need to put in there to get it where you want it. no need to add any beneficial fungi/ bacteria as its still in there from the previous year. i have a large pile of recycled soil i keep working up into next seasons super soil. its a little work to mix but a labor of love! no need to flush ever and smoke is always smooth.

4 Likes

Thats promising to hear! Can’t wait to see what happens its dragonblood hashplant from mongo

3 Likes

So todays chat with several people resulted in some interesting things, first was a shelved style clone sog with minimal wattage and immediet flip which brings up the question of

how low can you go with wattage?

For ease i am using what i have for reference as its pretty cheap and runs cool and they are able to only take up about an inch of height if the driver is located outside. the bridgelux strips (gen 2 to be specific)
I have heard somewhere in the realm of 20w per sq ft …?
It was suggested to use trays that slide in and out and break the box into 1ft shelves which seems crazy to me but apparently doable with a strain that doesnt stretch much.
The math on height would be 4 inch tall pots + 1 inch thats shelf and tray combined + 1 inch for the light which leaves 6 inches between substrate and light.

Second was comments on using top down lighting and covering two walls and the bottom with plants.

The top row of plants touching the top would have to go so thats -8 and each row will be blocking the light to those below causing the lower ones to reach for the centre so there will be too much competition as compared to what i have running theres light hitting much more evenly.