Bob's growing sideways

Okay so I want to get the most out of my area.

The box is 24 inches wide, 24 inches deep and around 48 inches tall.

The light is 17 bridgelux eb2s on a 22 ish inch square frame that’s a couple mm past an inch coupled with a 240w driver

Pots will be 1L plastic bag pots, pure coco mostly but some will have perlite.
food of choice will be Megacrop and Epsom salt

The plan is to have the light placed against one wall and have pots up the opposite wall plus pots on the bottom for a micro SOG. There will be room for overflow and the light will be uneven over the entire canopy … Probably. It should be super fast to change back to a normal flat grow if things go wrong.

I really can’t find much information on this online so I’m putting it up for criticism and suggestions.

I’m due to harvest my current indoor grow in the next week (staying open to being convinced to hold off for longer) so this is not starting now but I’m writing it up now anyway and will hopefully make it work maybe with a few tweaks and see if it increases yields in such a small space!

5 Likes

Maybe this thread will give you some ideas. He does a vertical ScrOG not a SOG, but most the rest is similar. He goes into great detail on the training.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=368036

5 Likes

Man that’s full of info that thread thankyou, I have for sure thought a net will be a huge help and also one thing I forgot to say I will be using or I’m sure id have an avalanche at some point

2 Likes

And we are away from the start line, the frontrunner is in seat i1 i believe. An underdog from the start from the pile of pale deformed seeds i thought wouldnt crack! Already getting its lean on from a high view which makes me super excited

4 Likes

My observations so far. Minor stretching on several but thats to be expected on a few that are partially blocked from the light.

My current concerns are for the ones situated above the light so they will hopefully be looking down towards it soon but so far im having mixed results, one is facing the wall and half are facing up. Hopefully they find the light soon.

I have one tri leaf pheno and i have my fingers crossed it will be a female so i can make little tri leaf babies and close in on that pheno.

A few are acting a little weak and may get culled but i may wait till they show sex before i go on a killing spree

2 Likes

Hey bro, look up “ thinking vertically” a few guys did a room where they put the lights in the middle of the room and grew all the plants on all 4 walls growing in to the light. Had a solid room full of colas! Sweet. I would just have a spider mite farm in it or something if I did it but it’s cool if you can pull it off.

2 Likes

Yeah those grows i have seen. They almost always use bulbs for surround lighting and photoperiod plants growing from the bottom up.
Ginger rick is doing quite a cool grow here on og using led bulbs but i think they may be going for a bridgelux build if i remember correctly.

2 Likes

So im curious about breeding and cant quote find the right post so im gonna tag a few people that i know know something but feel free to tell me to bog off. @Mr.Sparkle @ReikoX i mainly read about your breeding endevours.

So i have some dark spark x blueberry autos. I now have more dark sparks which id like to pull the purple trait into my cross as i like my size but i want them to turn purple without having to cool them off at night and effectively force it. I also want to breed the crinkleleaf and deformaties out which came with the dark sparks (not my main concern but long term goals are nice) and make them more consistent in creating single cola zero branching small plants for a tight SOG.

So i understand they loose vigour at some point or become less stable…? and not sure what to quite do, im assuming i should concentrate the purple trait first by back crossing with the dark sparks then go down the f route breeding with its siblings of that generation?

Im also welcome to the idea of using different strains but i want to keep them super short like under 2ft. Preferably indica leaning and autos so i can run on a schedule.

2 Likes

Backcrossin it could work just fine. It sounds silly, but just grow a bunch and select the ones you like. A bit of playing around.

2 Likes

@ReikoX ahh thankyou, i have started a bunch so selections will happen when they start throwing pistils.

a few favourites so far.
Big ones

This one started off as a tri leaf

Above the light is smaller

But not as bad looking as these ones.

3 Likes

Well the crinkles you just toss, better to avoid them now then having to deal with them later, as for wanting to carry over a solid purple trait you can typically tell which ones will be by 2.5-3 weeks in as the first calyxs that form at the node bases are the give aways in that if those have a purple hue to them that early they will be at the end, but for strength and vigor my suggestion is to avoid the plants where the color leaches into the leaves they are just weaker plants on average, but like Reiko said just pick the best looking ones to you and have fun.

4 Likes

Cheers for the reply, been a bit slow at keeping up on this but im taking both bits of advice into account and using my judgement. Culled a few crinkles but also kept a few just for if i have space as empty space is worse than not so great plants.

I picked out four plants to spray with CS and started spraying last night, two will get hit once a day and two will get twice a day. The STS hasnt arrived so i guess only CS.

Culled about 25 males so far, its a little sad as most of the best looking plants are males, still lots yet to show sex but i chose to use the earlier ones as quicker is fine by me, im going to plant something like 5 seeds from each of the dark spark, ds x bb and maybe the ds x gsc in like a week or so which should hopefully be timed nicely to be pollinated. I do have other auto strains if anyone thinks i should try other crosses, the second box has room :yum:

1 Like

Forgot to update but all it going smooth, number of male deaths are now in the 40’s. Watering is daily. Showing purples and greens and i just dropped the light hours from 18 to 12.

The plants being sprayed with cs arent burning up which is good but no balls yet but im around day 12 so another 10 days or so before i start worrying.

I have a few outliers on the pheno front but most fit into the catagry of tall/short with bottom 3 nodes stretching out.

Im really noticing some of the speeds of budding. A few arent even showing sex and a few are full on budding and approaching the end of their stretch.

That rebel is just … Argghhh :rofl:

3 Likes

Where am i… Got balls forming on the cs sprayed ones, everything in the main box is proceeding at a satisfactory pace, a couple more hit the boost button and smashed out 5 inches since that last pic. Gonna keep spraying, might cull the two tall ones being sprayed as i want shorter plants.

1 Like

It’s a cool setup but I have to ask why not just turn the box sideways? You could have the exact same layout but the plants would be on the ground which would probably make life easier haha. Anyways just curious, I’m sure the yield will be big off this one!

1 Like

There’s a bed and several storage bits in the way stopping it going sideways but you do make a good point. I am curious if it will work better as a 2x4x2 I just lack the space till I move house

1 Like

Ah cool that’s what I assumed. They should be functionally identical I would think, just a bit easier maintenance with them on the ground.

Are you familiar with the old rotating gardens people used to use? Check out the Omega or bonsai gardens, they’re really interesting setups. I could see you building something like that haha

Edit : https://omegagarden.com/

I used these a few times back in the days of 1000w HPS lights. They produced mega yields and were easy and fun to use.

1 Like

So im counting the average start of flower (pistil formation) at lets say 3 weeks ago give or take.
Culled maybe 60 plants, mostly males so its about a 50/50 ratio male to female.
Everything is chugging along and has another 3-4 weeks before im looking at harvesting any of them if i remember correctly but it may be 6 or so before it all comes down but i have no idea really.

Watering its a pain in the ass with the roof being so close to the pots, its not impossible but i can only water with the top 40% of water in the can for the top row as you cant tip it plus the plants make it difficult to see back there.

Chaos up the top.

Down lower its much easier but i quickly found out a vertical scrog net is out of the question as that will block access to water.

The bottom is doing its own thing just happy with itself, its getting less light going straight down through the canopy and is denser is my theory why the buds are less developed but still looks good in my book.

7 Likes

Update time.
Buds are fattening up, flowering times seem to be all over the place. I really dont have much to note except they dont seem to be doing as well as with a light above them. The top box is showing it clearly as those are looking way better.

The last thing to tell is harvest weights really.

3 Likes

Have you considered getting a pump sprayer? I find the wand is great for getting water into hard to reach places.

3 Likes