Micro Growing with Mr. Sparkle *2018*

Bogan Day 42/4
Removed the pollinating plant, its residing over a pyrex dish till the end of the weekend then its gone.I already collected more than enough pollen for awhile if it keeps.

The FastBud freebie has all mangled first leaves, it should grow out of it. Also the jack47 is slow, but that’s to be expected for freebies.

The last Kannabia - KickAss Automatic is a dud as well… so the whole pack was garbage, they harvested their seeds too soon. So won’t be buying their genetic for awhile.

Also started two Cream mandarine f1’s and 2 Dark Devil “sativa leaning” f1 seeds less than 48hrs ago and some are already popping tails.

Bokit Day 29
Filled out again, the lowers still need to fill out, had to bend over a couple tops by pinching and folding. The one top got a little close to the light so it got folded, and should be back fighting in a day or so. The lowers need to fill out more.

Also the lower Dark Devil is throwing some claw leafs, but looks more like fast inner vein growth with restricted leaf margin, which can happen when defoliating later on. But i’ll look into things just encase.

So currently im mixed on the singular source side lights vs say more distributed less efficent led strip lights. The plants definitely mass around the lights more so. Its a little too much for my liking as the plants like it so much they are scrambling to burn themselves with getting as close as possible to the light, so we will have to see.

6 Likes

Day 44/6

Collected all the pollen from that plant i had sitting out over the weekend, it got the chop yesterday. Also re-adjusted things the seeded plant i folded over some of its tops to try and fit the end of the case better, also will help things mature more evenly than having shoots tucked into the top dark corners.

Two Cream Manadrine f1’s and a sativa leaning Dark Devil F1 got planted will be popping soil in a day or two. I threw two of them into some 16oz cups just for fun, also will get to revisit root and plant growth and water consumption in “plastic pots” again but just doing it for fun.

Day 31 on the “boktit”

Already packed on the top layer again, i have been bending over tops over the last while to keep things in check, but need to do some plucking, as leaves are starting to hit the fan and lights.

10 Likes

Bogan Day 46/8/1

New seedlings have popped, the rest are just continuing on. Things are running a little wetter than i would like currently but the seeded plant needs more water and it has the sensor. So the other plants are getting more than they need for now.

Bucket Day 33
Chopped a couple tops on what will be some longer flowering strains “tangerine dream and pineapple express” that i now expect 9-10weeks and thinned out things again should be the last time, really i should of only ran three plants in the space for the pot size im using. Just too crowded, doable for variety or genetic testing but more ideal with less plants.

Moving along though.

9 Likes

Bogan Day 48/10/3

Switched the soil sensor to one of the 10 day plants should allow them to run dryer. I will have to auxiliary hand water the seeded DD till finish though, which is obvious if its the biggest and thirstiest plant. Still have at least 2 weeks before the seeds will start thinking about being done though, looking healthy and stacked otherwise should get a good amount of seeds out of it.

Here’s a different angle of the seeded DD, takes up the whole end, and those are 16oz cups below it.

Bucket Day 35

Filled the res today at around 1.45ec/725ppm of Megacrop. I also add in some calcium hypochlorite “pool shock” in super small amounts, which i do anyways just to keep my reservoirs sterile. Fortunately with my tap water and alkalinity that comes from the calcium hypochlorite it places my nutrient water right in the 5.8-6.1 pH range. Nice little bonus for me with the megacrop. Had to bend down a couple of topps but they are defintely now starting to bud out instead of fighting for space.

10 Likes

have you had any fires doing this ? i absolutley love these micro grows i just baught a 60x40x60 grow tent and gona get me 4 solstrips see how my micro grow goes

haha no im safe about it and things don’t get anywhere near combustion temp. Worst i’ve had mishap wise which was almost a decade ago was i had some ac from the back of a keyless socket short out through some mylar that was behind it, just a zap and it fried where it was touching the ac terminal screw and that was it.

Also throw up a thread for you grow @casperd :wink:

1 Like

Looking good Mr sparkles x Mechelle x

Bogan Day 51/12/5

Hand watering the seeded DD about every 2 days with just water at the moment, the jack47 is stunted so im gonna suspect a tap root issue but i’ll leave it, other than that things going well.

Bucket Day 37

Moved some plants around and folded and or tied down a bunch of tops as its a jungle. 3 Plants with the same pots would of been way more ideal. I’ll possibly try another 5 plant run after this one, just stay more on top of the fan leaf plucking.

10 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle just wondering if you’ve ever tried to clone a plant in a space bucket…

Specifically a bucket no, but in area’s a lot smaller yes. The PC case above “bogan” typically acted as my mother and veg camber when i was running my other bigger case “Ashla” at the time, but its long gone now. But even back to my old cfl days i had small veg chambers, so whats the question ?

1 Like

OLD shot here of one of my old cfl setups.

This was the veg chamber of a specific built box, think the dimensions was less than 10"x10" and was lit up by 1-2 13w cfl’s

But in the shot i have revegging plants on both the left and right, with mothers and clones in the center and i think some rooted clones on the back right.

You can do quite a lot in a little space.

8 Likes

Wow… now you have sparked my interest in this cab. Have a pic of the full thing?

1 Like

Have some pruning to do tonight :wink:

@Cocofan i’ll grab a photo off the memory stick for you and post it later tonight when i upload the “boring at the moment” pc case. But yeah that box was the worst designed box i ever did though lol. Everyone has to start somewhere as for me it was the start of me learning how small i could grow, don’t have pics of the better boxes though :frowning: .

Day 39 for the “Bucket”

5 Likes

whats the most you got off of a 1ltr pot plant ?

@casperd well i typically grow in smaller pots but for the last while i’ve been growing in around 500ml pots, but i typically get 10-12g a pot consistently. I can and do sometimes get 14-15+g per plant, but that’s more due to the amount of light and space that those plants get to grow in. It’s a trade off of growing fewer plants that are larger and potentially less efficient, vs growing multiple plants for variety and efficiency but at lesser yield per plant.

So if scaled im sure i could get 20-24g a 1 liter pot regularly, upper side being 28-30g a pot, but i would need a taller wider space with adequate lighting to accomplish that. But thanks lol now you have me thinking about a small tent or dedicated cabinet for a potential 4 pot setup.

on to the update :slight_smile:

Bogan Day 53/14/7

That stunted Jack47 i’ll leave as is for now, but i may start a seed or two even thought the five good plants that are in the case currently could easily fill the space. The seeded DD is starting to stretch its flowers/bud which it’s doing for the seed’s so they can start to dry out and harden up, should get a lot of good seed from it.

4 Likes

id have to admit they are some good results whate nutes? i love these micro grows but dont like autos can u run fems straight from 12/12 with out them geting out of hand i just baught a 60x40x60cm grow tent and was wondering your advice on lights whats a cheap option everyone say solstrips some said use cfl i was looking at quantum boards but would have to by 2 one for veg one for flower i need one light that does both and cheap due to buying a creecxb3590 x4 cob kit next week for my 60x60x180 grow tent

these are the 1 ltr x6 pots im using

1 Like

Sol strips if its in your budget or making a small screw in led fixture with keyless sockets if its limited, cfl’s are old tech now and don’t cost much less than the led screw in equivalents that are way more efficent. Quantum boards work as well, but i think sol strips are the most reasonably priced option going down the diy led and driver route. Distributed light is better IMO than the spot like light from say cree 3590’s, i use to run underpowered Vero 18’s.

Nutrients i just switched over to Megacrop to simplify things even more as i was using the maxi series “bloom and veg” which for convenience and cost is hard to beat as i like concentrated nutrients, not the watered down nutrient lines like a lot of the “Big Name” stuff that’s really just parting money from your wallet, But the Megacrop definitely holds some promise as its been working pretty good so far.

As for the auto/regular seed selection, personally i run regular seeds on a veg schedule for the first 2-2.5 weeks as i get better plants and harvests that way compared to if i ran them 12/12 from seed which honestly may end a week earlier if at all. But i would bump the veg time up to about 2.5-3weeks if i was running 1liters pots though, but that choice of when to flip depends more on the space and the size of your plants.

Also auto’s are pretty damn good now a days and if you don’t mind making your own seed instead of having to buy them they are definitely worth the try for the better genetics "Mephisto , Sweet Seeds, and the later Dutch Passion stuff "

3 Likes

@Cocofan

Here are some pics of that old cabinet.

If i remember correctly it was 11"D x 21"W x 30-32" Tall, flower chamber used 7x23w cfl’s and could fit a standard 1020 nursery tray. The air flow and filtration for it though was lacking, but that’s where i branched off and made a bunch of bottom air drawing cabinets that took advantage of natural convection for way more efficient cooling and scrubbing with top mounted carbon filter beds/trays that were super easy to dump and refill when needed. Some even had drying racks in the pathways of the veg chamber ventilation.

6 Likes

@Cocofan

Also here another one of my specific built boxes before the time i stopped taking photos of what i was building. It was one of two “Floor Standing Speaker” size boxes i built that used two 55w pll florescent tubes for the flower chamber which eventually got bumped out to the sides and two 23w cfls were added to the roof, it also had a single 13w cfl for the veg/mother chamber.

The options and advancement in tech for lights is shit tons better these days, most micro/small growers don’t know how easy they got it compared to the florescent and small hps/mh days.

12 Likes

i am going to be using coco in one ltr airpots x6 in the 40x60x60cm tent and not sure on how many solstrips to use does there need to be much space between them and how many watt do i need ? still not sure on nutes stuck between advanced nutrients conosour coco a+b grow and a+b bloom with the coco big bud or cana coco but dont know the additives and boosters wich is better ?