Micro Octopot DIY?

Here is a video about how to grow using an inexpensive pot-in-pot method. This sums it all up pretty well

6 Likes

Thank you all @herojuana.tom(yes I do still have to crack the seeds you sent me and very soon) @Papalag @TopShelfTrees1 @PatioMat :heart:
Yes autopots are avaiable here.
I Will have a look at all your solutions and report back soon.
I Need to known if the reservoir needs to follow some hydro rules like temperature of the water and pH,also if using “organic” liquid nutes Is doable.

4 Likes

Organic nutes is 100% doable and no temp restrictions or chiller necessary you can put the Rez outside, run the lines in and good to go, it’s actually ridiculously simple. And they really grew some killer plants they were just too small then but now they have tons of options

3 Likes

You can also look for self watering pots at the local garden store, pretty much the same thing :ok_hand:t2:

Pz :v:t2:

3 Likes

@CADMAN you got images or links for your Dollarstore OctoPot Build?!?

:hugs:

4 Likes

Page/post 350… @Pigeonman @Andrexl then continued 391 onwards.

4 Likes

I had a look and It Is very doable.I ll start soon with One SIP system,I already got two sprouts to do my experiment.
@CADMAN

1 Like

I came to the decisione of trying a replica of Octopot with a soil mix as medium and clay pebbles in netpot for wick.
Now,Is this soil :

any good for this style?
@herojuana.tom @Papalag @TopShelfTrees1 @LonelyOC @Pigeonman @CADMAN
I ask because I got some sprouts autos growing atm

4 Likes

Oh yes, that one is a good one. Don’t know if you need pebbles though since that mix got perlite already, so it’s already contain enough air. I would look into adding additional bacterial substrate to it though. Especially around the existing roots, where you transplant your sprouts :heart:

BTW, what are your plans for the feed?
Organics are a bit harder to dial. So my suggestion is to use something commercial for your first couple of grows until you get the hang of it.

2 Likes

Never used it but sounds good to me

1 Like

Got their full line, it’s organic-ish but they are a Little stinkier and about 2 years old,I use Them on veggies and they still work,but are a Little out of date lol.
@LonelyOC thank you and Thanks @Papalag too
I want to use clay pebbles in the net pot,not inside the fabric pot where I ll Just use this soil.
The Plan Is to replicate octopots since here are not avaiable,so a rez and a fabric pot on top,cut in the bottom where I add a netpot connecting the roots to the rez,acting as a wick

Or,Plan B I have some GH bag of MaxiBloom powdered nutes(salts)

4 Likes

I never use the clay pebbles before hopefully it will work for you

I just use soil

I’m a salts guy my self

2 Likes

Doesn’t soil becomes mud in the netpot wick near the water?
@Papalag

2 Likes

It’s how you pack it it needs to be firmly packed and so does the bag

Firm but not too firm

4 Likes

I think you need soil in the netpot, because you need the capillary action. I don’t think pebbles will be close enough for the capillary action to pull the water up into rest of the pot.

3 Likes

I thought wicking action would have been the fabric pot,I Need to experiment a bit then, can’t let soil become muddy in the rez

1 Like

I think only the netpot should be in the water so that it’s a hybrid between hydro and soil.

2 Likes

you dont need soil in the wick as @firehead’s original grow with the micro octopots showed. i was simply just not aware of how the hydroton would do for me using them outdoors so i used soilless.
i packed them too loose the first time with a coco/perlite mix, the second time got it right though.
the second time i soaked the soilless mix first then packed it in into the wick and a very minimal amount of it has fallen into the res below.
the micro octopot netpot also has many more holes than the official octopot wick does, so the hydroton makes more sense with those basket type net pots perhaps.

2 Likes

Definitely a good method. I just put 5cm of hudroton at the bottom of my bags and then put my promix on top of those stones… that way the bag can sit in 4cm og water and not become anaerobic

2 Likes

Just when I was about to buy the components,I found this:

So,the Plan Is to put a mosquito mesh filter Upon the cups to stop soil going in the res,then put Hydroton in a piece of fabric tissue inside those cups to be sure It wicks but not makes the soil muddy.
Could this idea work as an earthbox substitute?
@Papalag @herojuana.tom @shade

4 Likes