Middleman mutants - ABC crosses and other stuff

Almost forgot the other stuff.

Because of a power issue, my clones went into flower. That was months ago, and I’ve been fighting ever since to get them back into veg. I had my original Kush Mints mother, the Grand Traverse Tart Cherry (GTTC) mother and three rooted cuttings of the GTTC.

Fearing I might lose them, I decided to reverse one of the GTTC cuttings and pollinate the original mother.

Poor pictures because the lights were off, but the pollen appears to have taken and S1 seeds are forming.

The other two GTTC seem to be coming back into veg (left and front) but I feel like the Kush Mints is 50/50 wether or not it will make it (back).

My other plan to try and save these as best I can in seed form is to cross them to something similar and then back cross to the original clones, if I’m able to before I lose them.

Because the GTTC is an ECSD cross, I started 4 seeds of @Jinglepot s Sour Diesel to look for a male. All four germinated, but one damped off.

For the Kush Mints, I started 4 Bubba Kush from @Bobgrows . I only got one to germinate, so I just started three more (not shown).

I’m just hoping the Kush Mints goes back into veg soon and I’m able to take some good cuttings.

27 Likes

I really enjoy watching your grows. Good luck!

4 Likes

About 50 have germinated so far. I’ll stick them in dirt later today or tomorrow.

23 Likes

I’m pretty stoked to see where this goes… did they rest of them dud on you?

4 Likes

Too early to say. I’ll give them another day and then try to crack them before I give them one last shot.

When I did it last time, I just threw all the seeds in a flat at this stage whether they had germinated or not. I had sprouts coming up as far as about a month afterwards. Some just take a long time, I guess.

10 Likes

I’m fully in on this ABC one. Working plants that will be unique + less observable/noticeable outdoors, that’s O.G. AF.

Sorry to hear about your clones man!

4 Likes

Thanks. I’m not sweating it though. If I lose them, I’ll grow other stuff. I didn’t pay for them anyway, so no loss there either. More of a fun challenge at this point to see if I can save them.

5 Likes

100% makes sense… I know you’ve mentioned lower germ rates with the ABC. Have you cold stored the ABC and then brought them out to Germ? or have they been sitting in room temp for you? I’ve noticed after giving my seeds good dry time and then getting them into the cold has me with better germ rates than leaving the seeds out at room temp. This wad mentioned to me by Defnsmokn and it seems to be valid from what I’ve seen.

6 Likes

So, interestingly, I don’t expect these to have the lower ABC germ rates because they came from “normal” plants. I only expect it when the plant that produced the seeds is ABC type. I may be wrong about that, but it is what I believe to be the case.

I have not done any cold storage. I keep meaning to, but I just never do. All my seeds are at room temp (or slightly below). I do keep them in the dark though. I really need to get motivated and store them better.

I also believe you when you mention that a cold period will stimulate germination (in addition to being better for long term storage).

11 Likes

I hadn’t either but everyone that been popping the bambam F2s I made last year have had fast germination 24 to 48 for tails and they’ve been stored in the fridge as compared to my fresh Blueberry Diesel I let dry out for a couple weeks at room Temp in my house around 70*f and it took more around 4 to 5 days to see the tails really poppin. I know every cultivar is different but the F1 BBDs were quicker to germinate than mine so far. I’ll have to slap em in the fridge and see if the germ rates are faster after the cold! put it to the test.

Any way this is long lol sorry to flood your thread… excited to see where your cross goes I’m sure it’ll be a banger! :boom:

7 Likes

25 more today. Only 5 short of the total I was expecting. Probably tomorrow.

20 Likes

Dude, I think the seeds are trying to spell out my name on the water! Now I’ve a GOTTA watch! Good luck!!

5 Likes

I cracked any that still had not started last night. Got 19 more today.

Gonna throw the rest away…

About a dozen out of 100+ that didn’t germinate.

22 Likes

I myself would be happy with 88 out of 100 sprouting. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Yeah, I’m happy with it. Wasn’t exactly those numbers, but definitely above 80%.

And I have at least a couple thousand more, if I needed them. But those will probably never be grown. Just needed enough to get to third generation with a bit of diversity.

13 Likes

Motivated by @Rabeats2093 , shortly after the previous photo of the clones, I took two of them out of the pots, worked out the roots, and then gave them fresh soil in slightly bigger pots.

They already look a lot better and seem to be giving new vegetative growth.

24 Likes

Well shit I’m glad I could make a impact on ya! looking good bro !

5 Likes

At least 50 above ground. I can identify several ABC type already.

25 Likes

watching diligently as im doing similar with an abc x purple pineapple express freebie that I got but i crossed it with the ABC again when nothing showed palmate leaves the first go round out of said freebies.

5 Likes

The ABC leaf type is a simple recessive, as far as I can tell. It has to be homozygous to express. So the “F1” of a cross with a normal leaf plant will always have normal leaf. You have to go to “F2” to get ABC type to express, and then it will only express in about 25% of the plants. That’s where I am above.

In the cross of an “F1” ABC crossed plant back to ABC, I would expect all offspring to carry the gene, but only 50% to express it.

The usual disclaimer: I may be completely wrong in my understanding of how all this works. I’m not stating facts, just my opinions.

13 Likes