Mission: Super Lemon Haze

…so I have this one seed from a regular batch of SLH. @toastyjakes was mentioning that he hasn’t been able to find any regulars of it, so here goes an experiment. We can get fems of SLH all day long, hope this is a boy.

Now in wet paper in my warm clone dome for a day… funky looking little guy. I’ll be calling it “guy”, hope that sticks :wink:

The goal? Make more SLH, of course

23 Likes

Good luck Brudda.

99%

4 Likes

Thanks 99, if there are any voodoo magic tricks to turn things male, I’m all for trying, as long as they dont involve dancing

9 Likes

I’ll take care of the dancing part for ya lol! :dancer::dancer::dancer:

3 Likes

Not sure if any of this is true…

"
Higher nitrogen levels – more female
Lower nitrogen levels – more male
Increased potassium levels – more male
Lower potassium levels – more female
Low temperatures – more females
Higher temperatures – more males
High humidity – more females
Low humidity – more males
Low growing medium moisture – more males
More blue light – more females
More red light – more males
Fewer hours of daylight (14 hours) – more females
Longer hours of daylight (18+hours) – more males
Environmental stress – more males"

7 Likes

Thanks @cogitech,

He’s gonna be getting bloom nutes, running dry under weak 24-hr red spectrum light lol

A list of things not to do is getting done :wink:

7 Likes

Best of luck! :popcorn::champagne:

May your male be resinous
His stems be hollow
And his progeny be plentiful

:peace: :herb: :crab:

6 Likes

Checked the bean - nothing yet… in the cloner he stays for the time being

7 Likes

the sex of an individual plant is determined by its chromosomes. so although there may some influencing factors like @cogitech pointed out, im not sure how large of a part they play. generally cannabis is a 40/60 male:female split. stressing the plant unnecessarily will only bring out hermaphroditic traits.

but im really fucking high and i dont have any source material on hand.

10 Likes

I kind of think of the stress factors influencing sex like a superstition - knocking on wood, not walking under ladders, etc. Now I truly try to avoid walking under ladders because the fucker on top of it might drop his pliers on my head, so I believe these have a limited practicality.

Having said all that, sometimes I knock on wood for no good reason.

Let’s hope he even sprouts :wink: i have no idea how old or viable the seed is - this may be a very short thread LOL

9 Likes

We know that sex is determined by the chromosome donation.

Sex is set once the seed is created.

Feminized seed wouldn’t work if it wasn’t already determined.

7 Likes

There is a part of truth on all opposites considerations.

The sex is hardcoded yes but not in the way “male/female/herm”. They can be only one of them, both of them or all of them with different biological priorities.

“Pure” specimens being really rares in practice even in the most stabilized lines (which no longer exist today on the market outside the underground).

Its expression (of sex) is not hardcoded also, and it’s why “feminized” seeds exist. You need a latent “female herm” with a specific artificial expression (spray) to create a “good/bankable” fem line (sic). In this post i enter more in details about it.

I will dare to make a simple synthesis to separate the twos concepts :

• seeds : the whole possibilities of expression of each specimen is determined for good. Which don’t mean than it’s the reflect of the genetic potential for further generations at all. If you hybridize a rockstable latent female-herm than never trigger herm in normal condition, you can expect worries in its offspring and years of “washing/stabilization” behind.

• plants : the word “epigenetic” is trendy and often used for all and nothing, but in this specific case i can’t find a better word to be accurate. With the environment, you will reveal the true priorities of the specimen. Let’s take the case of “feminized seeds” again (they are absolutly not “feminized” in practice, but more “male’s depressed (not suppressed) for one generation”). It’s why than even the most greedy breeders assume in their marketing than fems seeds are not genetic materials but “seed to smoke” only : potential.

The epigenetic trigger to turn you best latents in pollen producer, is simply the STS in this case. Like the cold/blue etc … It don’t change at all the genetic (it’s too fast) but temporary its expression at the “H” hour. It’s mainly why today you can find so much “double-fem” garbage, it’s a manner to extend the rentability of one line on which you have no control or program. By choice generally, maintaining a genpool is expensive and take years. With this way, you can stay “trendy” in micro-cycles of 6 months until the next “sandwich of the month” … and for very cheap in comparison.

In another hand, to quote the other extreme, if this selection is made naturally by a stable environnemental factors during decades… you will change the code. If the “green” phenos are hungry in N but the soil is only rich in K, naturally they will extinct with their “sub-groups” in favor of specimens than are more compatibles with the soil.

So take care when you consider this aspect, the time involved in the operation is responsible of the type of the output. Generally the grade also but it’s another story.

Also, it’s important to split the potential of a seed (virtually for the eternity, like the human code) and the expression of this potential in a plant at one moment.

For different sources and inspiration, you can find a bunch of grouped readings here.

15 Likes

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this @Fuel. I will read through the list you have provided.

My attempt here is simply to try to “nudge” the expression of this particular genotype, if at all possible.

Cheers,
HH

4 Likes

You can’t nudge a genotype in outcrossing it; the hybridization is a litteral enrichment of the allele’s types. So by extension, of their average combination (which represent this genotype) in specimens.

You need a minimal rate of consanguinity for that. With a single seed, i will say than you’re forced to take the backcrossing way (no matter if it turn male or female) until you make this blood dominant in the hybrid. Lucky you, it’s a simple process than is focusing only on one specimen : the one selected to be backcrossed. The only hardiness is to find the correct recessive blood to couple with the reference’s cut, it can take a fews dominances tests and “freebies” ^^ In the doubt, take an authentic NL (#2, #5, the blend of sensi or even the #9), this is the swiss knife of BXers ^^ Well, back in the days. Today it’s hemp lol

7 Likes

I am not sure if I have that kind of time to devote to this Fuel - it would take, what, initial cross and then 3-4 BX to have most of the genes back to original? However, I do have a NL #5 BX male, from which I will be collecting pollen. So maybe, just maybe…

EDIT: he popped!

10 Likes

That’s the perfect scenario, but in practice it generally imply a BX with twos lines than you know like your own childrens (= allready mapped in its natural segregation). This is not the case, you start from scratch. So yes, if you are successfully building a copy of this genotype in only one year (4 generations) … you have some skills to hire and a bunch of elite cuts to stabilize in front of you (most boring job of earth for real, don’t lol).

This time is allready spended since you’re growing, why not get something in exchange the next years ? Failed or not, the practice of this project will refine your manner to select your motherplants, at least. Now stay rationnal, it still a BX. It’s not opening a successfull seedbank in maintaining an entire catalog and its evolution, which yes … cost devotion if your standarts are pretty high ^^ You’re not even in the obligation to grow only SLHxNL#5 all the time, you don’t have employees to pay so you can limit this to one round per year, by example.

5 Likes

Just a picture of a growing seedling. In the dome for now. Mostly because I’m lazy.

9 Likes

Great stuff @Fuel! Yet another pearl for oleskool’s big Red Book of Aquired Knowledge!

:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

So the seedling is growing well, but it looks nothing like a haze…

Seriously, this looks very indica-ish. Hmmm.

@MadScientist, you have grown SLH before, right? were the young seedlings this wide-leafed?

7 Likes

I wouldn’t remember but i have a thread on here about it man, let’s see it.

This is one of them bro, check it out. Looks similar tho.

5 Likes