Mj seed bomb stories

How about some Gorilla gardening or seed chucking stories? I’ve got a good one, and I’m sure others do too.

Around 2010, I found myself with a surplus of auto seeds, a mix of Short Stuff’s Lemon Kush Auto and Himalayan Blue Diesel’s Auto. While not the greatest smoke, they were fun plants to grow.

With all these seeds on hand, I decided to introduce them to the public. Why not plant them in a garden? How about a BIG garden? I don’t want to name names, but let’s just say it rhymes with “Shmonx Botanical Garden.” Looking back, I realize my ethical compass might not have been as properly aligned back then.

Anyway, it was springtime, with redbuds in full bloom. Armed with ziplock bags full of seeds we had a great day. We walked the grounds. Visited the deserts, rainforests, and everything in between, seeding the whole way. Some spots were obvious, while others were hidden. Even seeding the grated floors where rogue weeds could find enough soil and sunlight to thrive undisturbed.

Looking back, it was pretty stupid but also hilarious. I never found any articles about the “infestation,” and when I recently asked a long-time employee about it, they had no recollection. :rofl: :shrug:
Well anyway thats my story anyone else have any ethically questionable seed spreading antics ?

14 Likes

I heard from a guy… that his brother & him grew outdoors near Mount Vernon/Potomac… one year their canoe overturned & sent a lot of seeds overboard… said that year a lot of the seeds grew & it made the local news, suggesting George Washington’s hemp crop re-grew itself… :thinking:

:man_shrugging:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

I’m 100% here for this topic!
The social anarchist in me loves this stuff.

I used to go around with a pickaxe, smash holes through the asphalt in abandoned parking lots, and plant apple trees I had sprouted from seed.

I also regularly throw handfuls of cannabis seeds along roadways in the springtime

This spring I will probably make proper seed bombs, and I’ve never seen any of mine grow (birds and mice probably eat them all)

:smiling_imp:

7 Likes

I’ll be able to do that this spring too. The trick in the desert here is finding places that will get enough water.

3 Likes

Man. This is my topic. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I always have seed bombs laying around. Everytime I am forced to visit the county court house I have a few in my pocket. A quick flick of the wrist and they have a “secret garden in they’re flower bed. Years ago my friends and I would fish on an Island that sits in the river next to a local village. We would drink and smoke all night for months. We would take the seeds from our pot and throw them in the weeds. That fall the sheriff’s office found about 150 plants growing there. It was in the local newspaper. :rofl:

8 Likes

I remember one summer me and a friend planted seeds in this little patch of grass along the highway overpass near his house (well, it was more my friend than me…). We had no intention of doing anything with the plants. We just wanted to see if they would grow, and how big they would get before someone pulled them. I think my buddy was even watering it in the beginning (it was right by his house).

They actually ended up getting to probably 3-4ft before someone must have found them and cut them down. :joy:

My buddy used to plant random bag seeds all over the place. He thought it was the funniest thing.

5 Likes

Yeah it would be crazy if someone gathered up local clay and compost and successfully stabilized river banks and other eroding slopes in their area, stopping and even reversing desertification with hemp and other deep rooting plants like comfrey or native grasses and wildflowers like black eyed Susans, huh that would be pretty wild…

IMG_7832

Part one of three, they’re all on YT

15 Likes

^^^ @Dirt_Wizard ^^^

I tossed bare seed in a spot just for the hell of it, a median between lanes on a local road. Didn’t take… those seed balls will fix that!

6 Likes

All I’m hearing is the banks of the CT River need seed bombs.

3 Likes

Masanobu Fukuoka was a genius ! He was also an idealist and a true visionary. I have several of his books that I read again and again.

5 Likes

I planted five seeds in the hedges at the FBI headquarters in Washington DC maybe 20 years ago.

I also stashed the half ounce of weed I had in my pocket in the same bushes while I went inside and saw their display

I came out sat at the hedges had a cigarette and nonchalantly picked up my weed and left

Man I was bold when I was younger lol

7 Likes

The quiet inlets of the CT river also needs wild rice re-introduced in most places.
Same with most waterways here in R.I. too.

I’ve been considering ordering a couple bags from native tribes in Great Lakes area , to try and repopulate some of my region with this important food crop

5 Likes

i snuck seeds into a hospital and planted a couple in a plant on the windowsill. i had them in my shoe, lol. they sprouted but i killed them because i didn’t want to get in trouble. i should have left them.

6 Likes

We used to do that outside the Centre St courthouse in Manhattan, before they redid the Collect Pond Park across the street. Problem is, everyone does it and there’s folks who hang out watching to get your knife or weed or whatever you stash in the garbage can or the hedges, always a gamble! Still did it when I was younger but my go to was always stuffed in the side fork pockets of the nearest dumpster

4 Likes

He truly was, his influence on the programmes of so many post-colonial nations helped and continued to help poor people around the world not just feed themselves but fight the deforestation and loss of species and habitat that their homes have experienced for hundreds of years of resource extraction. He has particular influence in Southeast Asia but I encountered his techniques and philosophies in New England on small organic farms that are committed to permaculture techniques including silvopasturing, or grazing/food forests, which he would have loved to see people continuing to try and bring back around the world.
These farmers were clearing out tangled second-growth trees and other smaller things to leave the crown trees and open up the forest floor for seeding with native grazing plants using homemade seed pellets like these. You log off all the shit wood much of which is actually pretty valuable to sell or use yourself, and chip most of the biomass back down onto the forest floor, if you’re going to replant it you might toss some lime and manure in there for those fresh chips to absorb. Managed forestry like this is the 50-year forest plan in MA to try and reverse the worst effects of historic clear cuts in this state. An estimated 80% of the state was cleared completely during the 1800s for agriculture and wood products:

Height of Forest Clearing and Agriculture | Harvard Forest.

5 Likes

That’s a good thing to do to try to undo some of the damage we’ve done to our corner of the planet. But it’s likely they were extirpated by too much competition with non-native grasses and reeds and it may not work out so well.

2 Likes

I actually had the same idea.

3D print these seed bombers: Printables

Then bombs away!

I can print some for the team if anyone else is interested. Call ourselves the Green Bombers! :beers:

2 Likes

@rasterman @firehead according to this guy it’s because we drained all the CT River marshes, along with pollution etc. Ag fertilizer runoff favors non-native plants or at least upsets a delicate balance of competition in wetlands:

3 Likes

That was a fascinating read.

We definitely need more shallow wetlands.

3 Likes

Im grabbin these for my phone. :grin: Yionk ! :rofl:

3 Likes