MoBilly’s green room

Just noticed the guitar thing. I have given away guitars I get for cheap. I barely can play but hope to pick it up more this winter. I also build some although that has taken a back seat to my growing and other projects that were on hold until I retired. I have not built any showy guitars yet, well maybe one four string but that was for a contest and they said try to impress them. I mainly am interested in acoustics. I really have to finish these three, the bridges are not glued on yet.

13 Likes

Beautiful colors!!

2 Likes

Interesting story on each but I don’t want to muck up MB’s thread. Left one as a practice guitar for me with an oak fretboard, center has a jatoba fretboard plus bridge and the right a baked fretboard/bridge. The three are made of spruce except the dark bits, not normally done. The right one was built only using one 2x4 (neck and body), it was a great 2x4. Did that one as a challenge to myself, from the feel of it, it should be a good sounding guitar.

2 Likes

They look great! I see in your other post you said they’re spruce? I’ve played some beautiful Taylors that had Sitka spruce tops. They sounded absolutely incredible.

I’ll put some other information in my thread or if I find a instrument thread here I’ll put it there. Still really new here and need to find my way around some. Probably in the next day or two, the weather is going to change so I am getting stuff done. Just coming in to change the music being played and could not help glancing here.

1 Like

That thread would definitely have some interest!

1 Like

That one it is then. See what this sight is like? Saw a name of a member I wanted to look up. Looked at one of his threads, 38 minutes later and I am still here. I Have Yard Work To Dooooo!!!

2 Likes

Hey all! Just got home from the festival!
@GREANDAL ! True. That is a feeling that is hard to describe. It was AWESOME!
@bunny ! Those are some nice looking guitars! You just feel free to post pictures of your craft anytime you want. I’m not worried about chatting on here. When I need to find something, I know how to search for it.
Thanks @CoyoteCody . I’m anxious to see the colors develop on the Black n Blu Cookies. I’ve seen some beautiful pics of them.
@Slick1 . I have two spruce topped Taylor’s. You are correct. They have amazing sound and I love the action.

5 Likes

Here’s a quick update.

First one out of the gate! It came up so fast!! And it’s rocking a nice solid stem too.

This one was just behind. AND!

Happy Birthday little Swakhammer!
:birthday:
The Red Cherry Berry x Conspiracy Kush hasn’t broken the surface yet.
The God’s Sky hadn’t opened any further so I scraped the seeds seam a bit and put it in damp paper towels for a short period before planting.
The C99 is also in paper towels for a few. If it doesn’t crack in a little while, I’ll re-soak it or drop another seed.

That’s about it for now.
:pray:

9 Likes

You are a craftsman bunny, beautiful work​:+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

I will second that statement.
:v:

1 Like

I sort of got carried away and posted some picture in the guitar thread that you might like.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check that out! I have a woodshop as well. My wife and I are planning to build dulcimers some time soon now that I’ve sold all my horses I’ll have more time to put towards other endeavors.
I’m a longtime picker and woodworker as well so it makes sense.

3 Likes

That is cool, I like the sound of them also. Hey, why have I not made one yet? Penciled in one more to-do on my list. Show some pictures when you do, pretty obvious that I would like to see them. In my wood pile picture (which is a neat one, it has gotten more crowded with the addition of my grow space and many more sticks of wood) I have a number of shorter pieces in the rack which will be used for ukulele and mandolins. Possibly a violin or two. I am going to have to look up dulcimer construction. I read once one of the luthers I have a lot of respect for made one out of walnut. I think. I will have to check it out.

1 Like

I love the sound of them so much I want to learn on my first build. I have access to a lot of Black Walnut. The dulcimers I’ve heard, made using Walnut, have a lot of projection and a pleasant sound.

Do you have a style picked out to make?

1 Like

It’ll be similar to the mountain dulcimers my family back in West Virginia played. This is a good pic of one.
ac4366ef98acc73f1c1a3476abec7a99--appalachian-mountains-appalachian-trail

7 Likes

Wood pegs or are you going to use metal tuners?

The Swakhammer is up, and doing fine!

And the other two.

The others are still taking their sweet time. I have time to watch and wait though.:v::sunglasses:

12 Likes

Wooden pegs are the plan. A lot of people are building them with modern hardware but I’m wanting to make the oldtimers at the family reunion freak out. My first few will be as close to an authentic reproduction as possible.
That pic shows a six string version. Mine will be only four. That was done in the old style though. I think in the 70’s.

5 Likes