MoBilly's greenroom (Back in the Saddle Again)

1 Like

I love going to pow wows. First time I saw Digging Roots (I met them cause they lived on the same street as me) was at a pow wow and they invited us to a social (Wahta reserve). I talk my wife into going, she really didn’t want to, we walk in, the chief, dressed in buckskins, stands and invites us to sit with him. We proceed to have a feast of bear, venison, corn, walleye etc and our friends that invited us never even made it!

My house is covered in native art. Mostly west coast but also several pieces from around here. My wife told me one day if I came home with any more paintings or prints from trips to BC we’d have to move to a bigger house…next time I went out there I came home with a mask. Got a nice collection of those going now! :laughing:

4 Likes

My pride and joy

12 Likes

Walking into our home is like walking into a display of Native Americana too, lol. The oldest thing is a hand made pillow taking the ‘place of honor’ Brain-tanned Doeskin, all hand stitched, stuffed with straw. Made around the first part of 1800s
Little known fact, any animal you want to preserve the hide. Their brain is exactly enough to tan the hide with. Of that animal only, any other animal the brain is either too much or not enough. No waste. Brain tanned is best method.

Damn lol this thing is getting to be in need of a dusting off! But here’s a pic anyhow! lol It’s very old and a bit worse for all the years wear.

13 Likes

My wife is Choctaw and Chickasaw.
My brother in law is a painter of Western and Indian paintings. I fell in love with this painting and he had a litho made of it for me. His name is Richard Hogue from the Borger Texas area. Check this out.

14 Likes

That’s beautifully done @BigMike55 .

3 Likes

Those are not wrinkles in the lithograph. I have the whole thing wrapped in plastic and sealed Don’t want anything bad to happen to it. Except for my Les Paul Goldtop, I’d say this is my most prized possession.

3 Likes

That is very cool!

3 Likes

Beautiful painting @BigMike55.:heart:

3 Likes

That pillow was handed on down to us about 30yrs ago for safe keeping. It was in the shape it is now, when we got it. It’s always been ‘put up’ where kids and animals can’t bother it! lol We don’t ‘own’ it, just the current ‘keepers’…

9 Likes

I’ve spent a lot of time in carving sheds just watching guys work on totem poles and masks up in Northern BC when I used to work out there. Love seeing vintage native artwork of any kind, whether in a museum or like you showing that piece. Just feel a connection to it for some reason.

2 Likes

Yeah I know it was modern native music just thought it would be a drum circle and singing. I listen to the Northern Cree drum band a lot.

4 Likes

I was asked to put up a tutorial about how I made my SIP buckets so here goes. It’s a long post. lol
Sorry. :slight_smile:

I just used the net pot for a template and then free handed the mark to allow for the lip of the Net pot.

I used 2" conduit for my fill tube. I still shake at times (not near like before) so I wanted a larger target. lol

The net pots kind of pop into the “slotts” I cut into the side of that angled surface.

Next I drilled a bunch of holes for more root access to the res.

A jig saw made removing that top piece a breeze. And then it was dropped into the top of the bottom bucket to act as a spacer, giving me another .5 gal in the res.

!
I put one screw into each side to secure the “spacer” to the lower bucket.

A few quick measurements to get the conduit cut right and then secure it to the corner of the top planter. Be sure to cut the bottom of the conduit at an angle. :+1:t4:

And there you have it @Mrgreenthumb .

Sorry it took me so long. I’ve been under the weather for a while.
:pray:t4:

21 Likes

Fantastic work Mobilly, that was a great way to reuse those buckets.

2 Likes

Thanks @herojuana.tom . I’m brainstorming ideas on how to connect six of these in a single system with a six gallon main res that will be aerated. I think I’ve decided to go with a float system to feed the planters. I also want to put a fountain pump on the system set to cycle every so often to get the more aerated water disbursed among the planters.
I don’t know if that’s doable but we’ll see down the road.

5 Likes

That’s one helluva tute cuz! I’d not be using it personally, but I’m sure there will be folks happy with it. I’m just an old-school kinda guy, too late for me to think about revamping the method I use, lol

4 Likes

Thanks @LedZeppelin . That’s better than adding to the landfill. And that’s a solid gold fact.

@JohnnyPotseed
You know me brother. Ever the backyard scientist. lol

6 Likes

I like home made stuff.

1 Like

I would guess that around 40% of my home is built using reclaimed lumber. We did it before it was “the thing to do!”. lol
I wish we could have saved all that stuff that we used for anything and everything. People are awful proud of the old used stuff now days.
Go figure.

7 Likes

I do the same.

1 Like