Mold on bud, what to do?

Hi,

looking for some advice.
I found a little bit of mold on one of the buds in the middle of the jar. The weed has been jared for over a year. Not sure when that developed since it was in the middle, but none of the other buds had any mold. I know spores spread though…would you toss the whole jar? or just the affected bud? Will have to check the other jar from same harvest

5 Likes

Personally I would toss it. If it’s about a year old, you likely have plenty. :+1::seedling:

12 Likes

I think it went into the jar too wet…high 60s rh…never going to try for 60s rh again, rather have it drier like 50s and less risk for mold…maybe also better to vacuum seal?

here is the bud:

If it’s only in the one bud, I’d be fine with the other buds. But if you have plenty, you could always consider turning it into edibles. Lungs are way more sensitive to small amounts of spores and mycotoxins. Cooking with it negates a lot of the implied danger.

4 Likes

I am with @ReikoX on this one. I don’t mess with mold. I would just chalk it up as a loss and open the next jar if it was me. It’s a shame but one many have had to face.

11 Likes

Sometimes in farming we take losses. This is an acceptable loss.

7 Likes

thanks guys, I think Im going to toss it. I have been vaping on this until I found that bud in the picture above…I will check the other last jar from that plant before I keep using it. Ill take it all out and check if its any better.

2 Likes

Tossing it is hard but the smart thing to do in my opinion. A buzz isn’t worth the risk of a lung infection. Try curing in Grove bags if you can, once you get the buds dry it maintains a balance of moisture and really does a good job of protecting the terps. Sorry to hear about the mold. I’ve been there and lost a big jar of the first purple strain I had grown.

4 Likes

I trash a few pounds every autumn due to mold, never gets easier. It is what it is.

5 Likes

I have dumped whole jars Wood stove.

4 Likes

tough loss for all of us… better safe than sick!

3 Likes

I would toss it like Wizzlez said it’s your lungs. I got COPD you don’t want any lung problems believe me.

3 Likes

Have to agree with everyone that said toss it. That’s a real bummer

1 Like

Better safe than sorry bud. :frowning_face:
Burn it and keep yourself healthy to keep growing that :broccoli: !!!

:hugs:

2 Likes