Most productive Pot size?

So, you grow them out in the 1 gallon, max em out (they can obviously only get so large in the 1 gallon), then transplant them and immediately throw into flower?

1 Like

5 gallon max if you wanna be able to move them easily. 5 gallon can handle some big plants, but you’ll be watering more.

Smaller containers and very frequent watering are most efficient. But I hand water so some flexibility between waterings is nice with the extra media volume.

People can grow crazy big plants in 6" rockwool cubes as long as they never miss one of their half dozen or so daily feeds.

8 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much for the amazing response and pictures!!!

Much love :peace_symbol: :v:

1 Like

It’s a bit tricky because by the time they max out the 1 gallon there’s a good chance they are showing sex anyway.

But I transfer the 1 gallons into the flower area and then flip the lights before I transplant. I only transplant when I know for sure which females I want to keep (and maybe keep a male for pollen in a 1 gallon pot.)

Hopefully I’ve explained this well enough.

All the best

8 Likes

Yep, thank you.

Do you notice significant loss of growth due to the flip and then transplant a week or so into flower?

1 Like

I’ve never had any issues with transplant shock.

Treat them gently and they will be fine. Also, I wring out the soil so it’s damp but not at all soggy when I transplant. It makes a big difference. I believe transplant shock is actually just overwatering most of the time.

5 Likes

Does the old measure of 1 gallon of soil per foot of plant above ground still hold true? I know it wouldn’t work with some training styles, such as scrog, as you’re limiting the height and spreading it around.

1 Like

I try to transplant only when I haven’t watered for a day or so, I let them dry out naturally.

Thanks for the tips, I’m going to give this a go.

I have the tent space, but as you can tell from my monster Blue Sunshine’s (in my grow thread) I’d much rather not veg them all out and waste space, because ultimately, only 1 boy and girl get kept for the seed run, the other girls just get flowered out.

Would definitely streamline the process and get me more females per run.

Thx @Foreigner!!!

2 Likes

I find that’s best if someone isn’t experienced with growing and managing nutrients. More soil means more leeway and holds more nutrients. If I really have trouble catching up with a deficiency or ph problems, a up pot usually fixes the issue faster than anything else.

4 Likes

When I use 1 gallon (nominal)…(⅔ to ¾ gallon actual)… containers indoors, they need to be watered/fed at least once per day. Outdoors these small containers with flowering plants require 2 to 3 waterings each day minimum. Now I realize that this is quite tedious for most growers, but I am retired and I like to dote on my plants…I can also move 4 of these puny containers at once quite easily.

One advantage in needing to water so many times is that it makes it a little bit easier to spot any problems with the plant’s health right away, enabling the grower to nip any adversity in the bud- pronto!

I look at them so much I can see any beginning infestation or PM/ Bud Blight in plenty of time to correct any problem early, thereby avoiding serious deleterious consequences.

10 Likes

I do as Foreigner, 1 gal in veg, with the difference that I transplant them to 3 gal and let them veg for some days before moving them to the flower tent so they have time to recover before flipping.

It happened yet to find a male later once transplanted, but once culled you have a perfect hole to fit the next veg one, no much hassle … :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

How long of a veg is that? I thought they would only show sex once I flipped them, for the most part.

1 Like

There is 100% something to be said for getting up close and personal with them daily. I never miss a day.

8 Likes

4-6 weeks ish

They do show sex without flipping to flower if you let them veg long enough.

The only issue is that they can get huge if you wait that long. I’ve been guilty of “overgrowing” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: my tent

9 Likes

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. Hopefully they will show sex in the next couple weeks then, and I can just up pot the females into 3 gallon fabric pots for flowering. They are in 1 gallon (. 7) now, so Thanks, I should be set up.

3 Likes

Mine would have done exactly that! Lol. Didn’t have all the gear put together when I sprouted seeds, still don’t have my exhaust fan hooked up. My tent is 60” tall, my plants were 33” tall, not including the container. I chopped them down to 18” and letting them recover for a few more days before flipping. I guess I could say it started training late in life lol. Now there’s an even canopy with 8-12 growth tips to focus energy on.
Yes, preflowers usually show around week 4-6 on most plants.

4 Likes

I appreciate that. It’s been some years, and my outdoor plants didn’t show until the daylight got shorter. It’s a good thing I enjoy learning :grin:

4 Likes

Cheers it’s my pleasure

2 Likes

As with most things in growing pot size depends on your set up , growing style , and after some experience your own preference.
I basically run a 3 pot size system. Seedling stage is spent in 4" x 4" . From there they go into their first soil mix in 1 gal until sexed . From the 1 gal I transplant into 7 gal fabric pots and flip. For my particular soil mix I have found the 7 gal to be best for a finishing pot. I run water only.
My veg space is a 6’ x 4’ tent and my flowering space is 5’ x 10’ tent running 2 x 1k hps. I tend to run 3 rows of 3 so 9 7 gal pots per 1k light.

4 Likes

Similar to me bud, except I’m gonna use some knf with my living soil. That’s something to think about, thanks.

1 Like