Seed production

Hello everyone. I just was told by the breeder of this strain I could share the seeds and talk about the grow. In August I started some LA Diva x lowryder. He sent me some regular seeds and I had a male and female growing that would be great to breed. So I put them outside away from everything. I had to put them in jail so the damn rabbits wouldn’t eat them. Here are some pictures of them breeding. I also helped with my paint brush.

Here are a couple of the male on August 20th when I bagged him and all the pistils had dead.

I got really lucky and it rained that night and killed all the pollen on the female that wasn’t needed. Lets skip ahead to this morning. I have had to bring everything indoors because of the rain and cold. We have gotten so much rain lately. Had to bring in for rear of stem rot from being so wet. We stopped pollinating the female on Aug. 20th so the seeds are 3 weeks old today. Here are the pics from this morning.

I tried to get pics of the seed pods. The seed in the top of the pod has that shinny seed look. I want 100 seeds but I think I will get plenty of seeds to share. Yes I have had permission to share these seeds like he did with me. So keep an eye out for them. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Have a great day and better tomorrow.

27 Likes

I’m always grateful for you posts. :slight_smile:

This season has been my first seed production as well as my first autoflowering plant, too. I’d guess there’s 3-400 seeds there. :thumbsup: :articulated_lorry:

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

What happens if you cross an auto with a photo? Do you guys have any idea?

The breeder of those La Diva beans sent those beans to the entire world, very generous!

7 Likes

Since the most common autoflower gene is recessive, it requires TWO copies (one from each parent) for any offspring plant to be autoflowering.

If you cross an auto with a photoperiod plant, each of the offspring will only carry ONE copy of the autoflowering gene (from the auto parent) and you would expect NONE of these F1 offspring to be autos.

If you then crossed two of these F1 plants to create an F2 generation, you would expect ONE QUARTER of the ensuing F2 generation to be autoflowering.

And if you then crossed two AUTOFLOWERING F3s (or an autoflower F3 with any other auto) you’d expect all of those offspring (or nearly all) to be autoflowering.

10 Likes

So it would only be a “fast” version of the same plant i guess?

Ok, and if i crossed auto regulars, with auto fems? Do i get regular autos? And then i can reverse them?

5 Likes

in a way yes… fems, I’ve heard, are kinda hard to get bred, I don’t know if it has something to do with the process in which they were created

but it would be something like 4 to 6 crosses between an auto and a photo for a full auto seed harvest, not saying that between start and finish that you wouldn’t find a couple autos, a few fast growers and mostly regular photos

edit: that is, as I understand it through hearing talk

3 Likes

Me too, and that is what i am basing myself on, but then if i reversed an auto, they would all be auto fems right!?

2 Likes

I’ve not seen this at all. The only issues I’ve seen is the increased tendency for intersex traits. La Diva was feminized…

Yes, that’s how I’ve made some feminized autos.

6 Likes

correct, a reversed auto or an auto bred with an auto would result in autoflowering plants

2 Likes

Thanks so much good sir! I will still bother you with the fungi advice in the near future, if possible, i mean.

Cool.

3 Likes

I will be finding out! :smile:

Will be makng RedCherryBerry(M)xDarkDevil(F auto)… :cherries: :imp:

O’ve heard the resulting hybrids will be about 1/4 photo, 1/4 auto, 1/2 variable in-betweeners. :thinking:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

Not until the F2 generation. In the F1 generation you should see 100% photo “fast” versions if you will…

Sounds like an excellent cross though.

6 Likes

So the safe way to do it would be to cross two regulars or a regular and a feminized, but all autos…?

2 Likes

I would say the quickest way would be a regular autoflowering male crossed to an autoflowering female.

Next would be to reverse an autoflowering female and cross it to another autoflowering female.

Last would be to cross the photoperiod to the autoflowering, cross the F1 generation, then cross the autos from the F2 generation to make them all autoflowering. Feminizing this cross adds a bit of time to reverse the plants.

I wouldnt stress over if the females you use are feminized or not. Only autos I’ve ever seen hermi were the Bluedreamatic…

12 Likes

You haven’t tried crop-king then. Their definition of “auto” means: automatically pollinates itself.

11 Likes

Think you for your kindness. I should do something fun with the number of seeds she produces. My next seed projects is a lemon og haze and either a tangie or blue dream females. I am getting some sts together to start spraying the haze autos. Then I will be ready when the photoperiod plants are ready to spray. I am doing a branch and not the whole plant. That way I can pollinate just a branch on the other plant. I am also going to pollinate one branch on her to. I know there could be some inbreeding problems but that is what an ibl (inbred line) is.

4 Likes

That might explain why all these nepal x’s are “fast” so maybe next gen will be very variable and there will be lots to choose from

so if I were to take a selection(1) from the “variable in-betweeners”
and cross those what sort of variation would I expect in those offspring?
would it be a major change at that point or would it be a grind to get them stable-ish?
Really just wondering if that generation will be a big leap or small step

(1)Im thinking a tight/selection group that finish best in my region, non autos that start flowering by August 1st for example

3 Likes

this is outta my league :smile: to answer appropriately…

our more experienced seedmaker friends here should be able to gauge that.

:evergreen_tree: :blush:

3 Likes

If you start enough plants to find two highly similar phenos, and the gene pool isn’t excessively large to start, it may be a pretty quick and easy road. The issue is choosing the right male to match your female

4 Likes

Yeah one drawback of auto breeding is that you can only breed forward, so progeny testing and backcrossing isn’t possible (except backcrossing to a photo clone)

3 Likes