Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 2)

How much space is from substrate to top of box?
So i can compare how big fruits are
@GrowTheAtlas

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the one in the corner compared to a clipper lighter if it helps. The cap is touching the lid when itā€™s closed

5 Likes

The sub is about 1/3 of the tub. Itā€™s a 12qt tub

Edit: I always use a 1:1 ratio and a pseudo casing for the Gandalf. It loves life with those ratios

6 Likes

Sorry, but I couldnā€™t resist :grimacing:

14 Likes

I absolutely love this :joy::joy::joy: itā€™s good to break up the seriousness of this thread. Youā€™d think with shroom and weed people it wouldnā€™t be so stuffy

6 Likes

The glow oysters are non edible donā€™t forget!

But they are fun to work with. The mycelium even has the faint glow. Hard to detect, especially onc amera. But if youā€™re in the dark and let your eyes acclimate for 20 minutes or so, you can see the glow.

They are hard to fruit sometimes but they do well on a hardwood substrate and room temps. Sometimes a drop in temp can help to get pinning. Honestly your best bet is probably to do an outdoor grow if you want fruits, like doing plus or sawdust spawn in logs.

Let us know how it turns out!! They are a fun challenge for sure.

5 Likes

There may be some confuson with the general gourmet grow process, I hope this helps to clear it up!

The usual flow for gourmet grows is this:
Culture (agar or LC) to grain.
Once the culture has colonized the grain, it is now called spawn (or grain spawn specifically). The grain acts as a nutrient bonus and also allows for faster growth than substrate and introduces many inoculation points.
Spawn is then used to inoculate sterilized substrate, most gourmets do wood. Sawdust is most often used, but sometimes woodchips for certain species. Nitrogenous supplements are added to boost fruit size, soy hulls and wheat bran are the most common used for wood substrates.

So I would personally follow that for your bitter glow oysters.
Use the LC to make grain spawn from sterilized grain (I like rye but people also do rice, oats, millet, popcorn etc). And then use that spawn to inoculate a hardwood substrate.

Good luck!

7 Likes

I do have some general instructions for nearly all gourmet species on my website and many have specific fruiting instructions (for the species I have carried ready-to-fruit bags in the past)

Iā€™ll post that link here that anyone can reference-

8 Likes

hell yea, thanks bud. just what I needed.

I was wondering about that cause the name doesnā€™t sound appetizing at all lol.

I couldnā€™t find much info on the Navery f2s I got from you, specifically its genetic parentage if you have that info

4 Likes

Happy to share the info I have!

Some fun promises and possibilities in the future with that lineageā€¦

Mush love <3

5 Likes

@MushroomManMycology
Greetings
Can you recommend which species to play with? My goal is to find a species that is capable of breaking down oils and phenolic components.
It is about breaking down the residues from the production of olive oil and later turning it into compost.
They donā€™t have to be edible mushrooms.
I even tried something with ediblesā€¦

4 Likes

Oh ya man those are pretty cool strains. Someone on shroomery grew them out. They ate cigarette butts and oil super cool mushrooms very interesting to read about. Would be really fun to play with.

4 Likes

Has anyone used alcohol to extract psilocybin? :rainbow:

3 Likes

Gandalf

12 Likes

Oysters are known to be badass when it comes to this sort of thing.

They can grow on nearly anything, cigarette butss like @420noob said.

If you used a small enough portion of the oils I imagine it would colonize still and possibly even fruit. I believe you are talking about organic oils and phenols naturally occurring in the olives, but be mindful that even though mushrooms can colonize dangerous materials and ingest them, it does not always make it safe. I know of mushrooms that can colonize substrates with heavy metals and then uptake the metals and present them in the fruit bodies (and even concentrate them some) and are not suitable for human consumption.

Paul Stamets is great for a number of reasons but has his faults tooā€¦ either way he has done a bit in the mycoremediation space and looking for resources he and his company Fungi Perfecti put out is probably a good idea!

You can also look to the mycoremediation literature to see the current state of things and if any cultures/species would be best for your situation.

Either way keep us updated, that would make an awesome thread!

8 Likes

No - psilocybin is water soluble.

5 Likes

Paul Stamets has a ā€œblue juiceā€ water extraction recipe. He joked ā€œthis way we can make ice cubes to put in our drinks at Burning Manā€

7 Likes

I grew oysters. They are easy, fun, and taste awesome when cooked.

5 Likes

As soon as you make it, you have to use it. It doesnā€™t keep long at all. It starts to lose potency after like an hour.

5 Likes

Well that sure makes the days-long process worth it, huh? /sarcasm

Good to know, thanks GTA. Iā€™ve never made this myself. Based on PStametsā€™s comment I expected that it could be frozen after extraction so Iā€™m glad to know thatā€™s not the case before anyone actually tries this!

3 Likes