My aquaponic adventures

Ok, thank you for confirming… With everything I was reading, I was staring to think I might be doing damage to the plant by pruning to early or to much… It didn’t make common sense to me, but these days 🤷😂. A clear case of why WebMD is a bad idea, lol

3 Likes

There is an active thread about “ to defoliate or not to defoliate” or something like that. :grinning:

3 Likes

Sweet! It definitely helps, searching with the right term, lol 🤦

2 Likes

Its “defoliation vs no defoliation .

4 Likes

Sweet!! I found and bookmarked that one, thanks!

2200+ comments, I have some reading to catch up on :grin::grin:

3 Likes

Oh wow, this post is brilliant… I’m copying it here so I can find it right away again (and I’ll probably print it out and stick it to my tent so I don’t decide to be dumb again, hahaha).

8 Likes

A couple more pics with more detail of my current setup… It’s working well, but I want to figure out a container so I can get a much larger grow bed so I can have more plants growing with more space.

10 Likes

New light arrived and new little Veg area for 2, possibly 4 plants, is up and running :grin:

I’m not holding out a lot of hope for these cuttings. The moms are 5 weeks into flower, and I was able to find a branch on each that was directly under another, so no harm in cutting it away. Cleaned up a few spots with my clippers, coated in rooter and in they went. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

13 Likes

looking great on the aquaponics indoor grow! my aquaponics systems are outside in my garden area (total of 3 IBC totes (Sump with some goldfish, Main Fish tank with catfish, and 3 grow beds))

I have not yet grown canna for a full grow season in them, but transplanted some cuttings i took from my tent grow into them late in the season, the plants produced well (for the little amount of veg time they had) and the bud has been excellent from them.

on a side note if you ever need any resource for improving the system, or different ways to grow in aquaponics style systems, I highly recommend Rob Bob’s channel on youtube.

3 Likes

Oh nice, I’d love to do an outdoor one, but we have racoons and rats bloody everywhere, and my wife would rather not have “an ugly 55 gallon barrel in my yard” (I don’t entirely blame her, lol). I’m still working on her for a raised bed, but rat crap in a bed of strawberries… 🤷.

I’ve had some fun with aquaponics over the years… I was moving once, and moved my growing plant in an emptied dishwasher, raised on a truck bed, with one of those big yellow topped bins full of water and fish. The whole thing was dwc’d with a pump in the grow bin in the dishwasher to move water :joy:. The best part, I didn’t miss a light cycle, hahahaha.

Rob has definitely been a huge influence, I WISH I could build a garden like he has… I’m stoked to see what his new farm is going to be like!

3 Likes

I sort of like my ugly 55 gallon drums. :smile:

barrel systems

overflow system from barrel

I forgot to mention, but used Rob’s design for an all in one system for two drums that stay up on our deck. They currently have a pineapple plant in one and some flowering herbs in the other (not that herb). They do really well with simple leafy greens (bok / pak - choi, lettuce, celery, etc)

2 Likes

here is a better look at my larger system out in the garden(also modeled on Rob’s systems)

A huge side benefit, I sometimes get to use water from the system, to feed plants out in the container garden.
It gives a nice little nutrient burst, as well as perfect ph levels (my well water is very very alkaline coming out of the hose)

main aquaponics system

3 Likes

Question for you… The white stand pipe with the blue lid in your grow bed of the 55g, is that just your standpipe return?

Your big system is wiiicked… You should do another vid and talk through it what you have where, and why :grin::metal:. I’d be curious to know more about that massive catfish too, haha

Honestly tho, once you grow weed in an aquaponics system once, and you find the only thing you’re having to do for your plants is feed fish… No mixing of anything, no watering schedules… You’ll never go back :grin:. I’d be totally down to get into the design with you too, I’ve built everything from stealth grows in a fridge to designing and starting the build of a full commercial warehouse :grin::metal:.

6 Likes

I would be very interested to learn about and see all those designs. Im sure the whole OG community would also find it interesting. :grin:

5 Likes

My first grow… Had to be stealthy due to the exes kids being in the house…

10 Likes

All my pics from then are over the 13mb limit, I’ll throw some more up when I get to my computer in a bit :blush:

1 Like

Yes, exactly, using a simple bell siphon design that Rob Bob has on his vid’s.

During summer time I had the system running completely on solar, but as the season changed i really wasn’t getting enough light to keep the system running long enough. So ended up getting some super cheap 200-300 gph plug in pumps, i just let them run all the time now.

am currently working to try and meet folks of a similar mindset, and share the knowledge and experience that i have, sort of a WWOOF traveling thing, God willing am certainly looking forward to it.

3 Likes

The big system really is its own ecosystem, worms in the gravel, snails and other aquatic critters in the water, and the fish. Honestly I am a firm believer in the Law of Conservation of energy, so enjoyed putting in more work up front, knowing that i had a nearly maint free system that would last a long time.

I will do a thorough step by step walk-thru of the system when i can. will post it up here when its done.

6 Likes

How did you find the noise with the bell syphon? I had one setup initially in a little outdoor grow I built (I’ll post pics when I’m done this joint :grin:), but my landlords at the time asked me to take it all down because it was louder than their conversation in their backyard, lol. So, I switches mine to a constant flow… It’s almost a dwc style, but with water constantly moving.

I didn’t catch that it was solar at first (volume was down so I didn’t wake the Mrs), but when I showed her later we both agreed, that was really cool!

I’m always down for a virtual meetup, and I’m definitely down to share design ideas! :metal:

2 Likes