My version of Outlaw's Single Light, Flood & Drain system

Mixed up some CNS grow I had from a while back. Running between 500-750 ppm’s.
Then about 10-14 days later:

Dang got a visitor, BRB.
Reason for edit:
Well I hope I’ve fixed the pic’s in the right order now.

2 Likes

Ok folks, yesterday, I fixed a screen to the tray. However it’s been a while since I started to lay them over, getting ready to screen them.

I also had plants to trim, and prepare to be jarred this week.

I used 2 x 3 garden wire, it was a bit to long, so I cut it a bit long also to run the prongs into the tray edge, after I drilled some holes to receive them.

screen fixed to tray edge.

The Shaman, we meditate and grow together.
On to a first resy change today!!

7 Likes

I emptied out the res, the final readings were 300-400 ppms, down from 500-700ish and 8.2 ph. I did not expect to see really low PPM’s as the plants were still in an organic medium, and i’m sure it’s still leeching.
I mixed up last night, to 1000-1250 ppm’s, but will recheck it before usage. I’m not sure exactly which way I’ll go to adjust PH just yet, something horrible watered down, sulfuric acid, maybe. Or something organic but that usually needs to be constantly monitored.
Will do a lot of training today, as pokies are popping up through the screen.

2 Likes

Well I’m feeling like a turbo poster. However, since I’m doing this in steps as this a refresher course in hydro, as I’ve not been a juice junkie for many years now.
First, I checked the solution, and it was down to around 300PPM’s, and had cycled for a couple of weeks, and the PH was high at 8.3. Pumped it out and changed it.
Mixed up a batch of nutes set for 1000-1200 ppm’s PH @ 6.5, letting it set overnight to stabilize.
I started to shape the girls after the roots took hold into the medium bed, after unpotting them. I snip some fan leaves, and let them rest a few days. I also push them back under the screen every day, and do the stem twisty thingy to shape the branches.

I added another whopping HLG 65-V2 LED, a $99.00 that is a most excellent veg light.
I added a temp gauge, a timer for both lights, and found space to store my PH pen/ BluLab,Truncheon as that is where I need it.
Looks like a another few weeks until the big flip!!
Mean while, back at the ranch…
![2 5 2021 003 outlaw early training|666x500]
(upload://eUvRuj5EcA38mkh3tU7ht510IZD.jpeg)

Ok, that was fun.
Now to make a floating Mosquito Bit leeching dispenser, to float in the tank. Yeah, I know they make a floating disc, but I do not like how when they break down, the bits go every damn where. I’ll use a cleanable coffee filter, set into a piece of styro-foam? IDK just yet.

4 Likes

Once I get into a 20 gallon resy, I’ll make a floating mosquito bit dispencer. Right now I just poured (bits) some into a fabric pouch, 3" x 5" drawstring bag, tied it to a rock and left it hanging in the area of the drain return.
PPM’s staying @ 750-800. PH has drifted to 7.8 so I gave the resy a shot 1.5 oz PH down. Later today after a few cycles, I’ll recheck the PH.
Screen is filling very nice.
I

I gave the girls a timer a while back, putting them on a 20/4 light diet. I’m thinking in a bit I’ll change again to 18/6. Right before that, I’ll do another hard cut to ready them for flower.
Take care all.

2 Likes

Today I’ll bring up the PPM’s with a blooming nutrient. To get the girls ready to go into flower, with some transition nutrients, half grow, and half flower nutes for a couple of weeks.
Did a bunch more snipping, and pokeing growing shoots back under the screen.
It is filling out very nice, and I’m excited to flower them out.
I did also go to 18/6 on the light timer. Maybe next week, start flower.

1 Like

Hmm this is real interesting actually!
I thought it was kind of a standard ebb and flow/flood and drain setup but it looks like you’re actually using it more as a big planter with a res instead? :thinking:

Girls are coming along nicely! Love HLG boards ^^

1 Like

Very nice they’re going to be huge.

1 Like

I have a 3x5 tray that I have used as a giant pot liner for years, and I have thought about doing something very similar to your project… your giving me inspiration and making neurons fire.

2 Likes

Hey HolyAngel, Thank you for the kind words. When I first saw Outlaw’s set up, I fell for it, as it is just simple. I have changed a few items, to what I’m used to using.
I fell in love with HLG a few years ago now. I had always built my lights, HPS/MH and couple of CMH’s long ago now. Once I saw her shine, with my back to it, I knew, she was a game changer. I’m using smaller lights for now, but the plan is to upgrade soon.

Hey Dale, Thank you for stopping in! I’ve run these before, but first time screened. In fact I’ve not screened in maybe 16-17 years now.

Hey sct2020, That is exactly what Outlaw did to me, when I stumbled on to his. Just like when I found Krusty’s buckets, so simple, but profound, for me anyway. I learned so much from running buckets way back when. Good luck in your build !!

2 Likes

Yesterday was day 1 of the flip. The screen has filled in nice, but not exactly as I wanted it to.
To save on bandwidth, I’ll not post my pics until the end of this run. I need to be more frugal with plastering up too many of them, here.
Sometime around 4/20/21 this will be winding down, once everything is dried, in jars, I’ll go through all the costs and see where it stands, in my long term goals.

2 Likes

After a week of flower, I looked in on them, they need badly, more fan leaf removal mostly on the HBH.
Since I know the ON Haze is bit delicate after the flip, so no clipping, or even repoking down through the screen, until I see better formed buds, or the 3 week mark.

I also in the above post forgot to add I mixed up a transition solution, CNS, part grow/flower nutes, silica blast, liquid karma, cal/mag. PH’d, downed to 6.0 and 1500 PPM’s.

Yesterday, when I checked them, PPM’s down to 750-800 PH @ 7.0.
I added 1oz CNS Bloom, LQ, c/m, sb, PH down to 6.2 to a gallon of water, PPM’s 1750-1800.
Will recheck and adjust with water, if needed.
So far growth rate fantastic.

1 Like

Well Outlaw told me a 10 gallon reservoir is way to small.
At first, it was fine, now I’m flower, it is, WAY TO SMALL! 20 gallon res from now on.
The 2 plants are stripping the goodies from the solution like every 3-4 days. PH drift, is very quick. I can have it spot on, and by the 3 day, it needs a correction.

The growth is just amazing to me. My skills at running screens is sucking real bad, I do keep defoliating the big fans, but they grow like rabbits!!
I’ve also been shying away from clipping to much on the ON Haze as she can be a bit touchy going into flower.
This coming week should be the 3rd week and getting the transition behind them, so they may not herm from to much clipping.
I do so love running this convoluted set up!! It is so forgiving. Once I do my rebuild and I’ve set up in a more practical way, to use the maintenance openings (tents) to my advantage, as I can NOT do now.
So now, I do a bit of over reaching to get to the back area of the tent, afterwards it will be much more workable for my old body.
I did under estimate the clipping and training, but that is what this preliminary run is for, find the gremlins and slay them.
I’m more crazy for this system, now, then ever!
More soon!

5 Likes

Just more crazy growth. I did see to many sacks on the ON Haze, and I removed it last night (RIP) the stalk was very thick, the structure was very nice, but sacks be damned.
I moved the LED’s to focus more on Honey Badger haze.
I never ran a thread without pics per page, but to save bandwidth, I’ll vomit them out in one whack at the end.

4 Likes

Well it’s been a minute since I posted up last. On my band saving path, not posting up pics has me not coming to Over Grow as much. I go to another place to satisfy my pic post addiction.

My LED’s are WAY, WAY underpowered for this. I knew they would be.
I removed a 1k digital from half of the 4’ x 8’ 7’ tent, and I wanted, well started to remove the LED from Outlaw, and poke in the 1k. I got great circulation so I think I could manage heat well enough.
But I got to thinking, I really need to see this project go to it’s end, the way I started it, and stay on this path, simply for the knowledge of it.
She needs topped off every few days, 20 G resy IS next in line.
I’ve worked up to 1400 PPM’s, 6.0 PH fresh. When I check the resy a few days later, it’s 700 PPM’s and 7.0 PH and the water is gone. I alternate between simple water/PH juice, and the next, a full diet mix.
I also got to trim leaf, every week to 10 days, to keep her opened up.
The honey badger haze plant just loves this set up, she branched out like a dream.
It’s hard to say when culling comes along, I think flower started on 1 13 2021 so maybe closer to 4/20 when the trikes are ready.
Have a ball all.

1 Like

Well, well, well, here I am almost at the finish line, with this amazing first run of Outlaw’s system, er, sort of. I did NOT follow all his parameters, so my lacking qualities are MY fault, not his system, it’s flawless, IMHO.
The biggest glaring of FAIL, is my weak sauce veg LED lights. They are fantastic for their job, small light with a very nice veg glow, covers a 4 x 4 base foot print well and for $99.00 and the other $149.00 both fine LED’s, for the proper place.
Next FAIL, was sticking 2 plants in the tray, and the dumbass, (that would be me) picked one that was never flowered, so hell I did not know anything about her…until she showed up, with balls. Cut it out a while back now.
3rd big FAIL, this is part of the previous one, but off centering the plant in the tray, presented more hassle for me during all the training, and then later on, the trimming of useless leaf.
But other than that, I just love everything so far.
A fellow gardener, asked me about the system, so I allowed him to see it, and he lost his damn mind!! When I told him, I’m tossing the tent, after the run, to reinstall Hydropolis tents, more trays and reservoirs, and MUCH bigger LED’s and start them with a month of separation to find that perpetual cycle. He begged me to sell him the tent, system and he is paying me an install fee, to set it up, and poke a plant into it for him. I told him my tents have 10 - 15 years usage under them, buy a new one!! He insisted he wanted this one!! Go figure?
I’m also going to figure out how run organics all they way to finish, over organics to CNS additives. outlaw told me, it’s very messy and difficult and I believe him, but like my crappy LED’s I just used, I HAD to get it out of my system, to know they would suck.
I’m going to try the gangbang photo display for less bandwidth usage, since I’m in the throes of shutting down this thread.
It’s been mad fun running this system.
Have a blast you long suffering followers, the end is here.

Well I failed to post the pics in the less bandwidth mode, sorry admin. LJ.

4 Likes

Some final numbers for this wonderful fun experiment!! So I started gathering parts around the first of November. I pulled the plug on 4/26/21. Due to using VERY tiny light sources, the plant bud was small. There are lots of buds sites, and she is very very sticky, smells delicious. Since I grow for meds first, then for some buds for my stoner ass. These buds taste just like the ones that come from the big flower area, just smaller, and just as sticky.
So, this cut comes in at a perfect time, as we needed more edible material, for the wife’s needs. Now I will not have to use our packed away bud, that is frozen.
I got 400 grams of bud/trim for 6 batches of edibles !! THRILLED!!!
That left 220 ish grams of stalk/stems.
The root mat was solid, I never changed the solution, I never flushed, all I did was check PPM’s once a week, and add back water, or some CNS mixed solution.
My pump was in a filter bag, that ran 10 minutes every 3-4 hours.
It was a bug free grow, I did mix in some mosquito bits when mixing up the organic part, while the plants were vegging in 1 gallon basic nursery pots.
This system will be my system, for a while. I will reduce my plant numbers as I’m still in a iron curtain state. I can keep fewer plants, and get way more harvest…what is not to love?

My roll it out plan did not work out.

Well that about wraps up this project for now. I’ve been gathering up prices to built tent specific outlaw set ups. Of course with 20 g reservoirs, over clocked LED’s, and with these harvest numbers, I’ll not need the 6 units I saved up for, so I’m saving money before I spent it!! How cool is that?? Yeah, I know it’s delusional, it’s just who I am.
Sincerely webe

5 Likes